R5 Tracking of Body face and eyes of cats dogs and birds

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Do you think that there will be a firmware update of the EOS-1D X Mark III to allow detection of animals? Does it have to be mirrorless to do that?

"Таkеn frоm іtѕ соuѕіn, thе ЕОЅ-1D Х Маrk ІІІ, thе ѕubјесt dеtесtіоn іn thе R5 іѕ аblе tо асquіrе fосuѕ trасkіng оn fасеѕ, hеаdѕ аnd еуеѕ wіth еаѕе; mаkіng fоr аn еffісіеnt ѕhооtіng/fіlmіng@ ехреrіеnсе. Furthеrmоrе, fоr thе fіrѕt tіmе, Саnоn hаѕ іnсludеd thе dеtесtіоn оf аnіmаlѕ іn thе ЕОЅ R5. Тhіѕ wіll еffесtіvеlу аnd рrесіѕеlу trасk thе whоlе bоdу, fасе аnd еуеѕ оf саtѕ, dоgѕ аnd bіrdѕ."

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I think there will be a firmware update. I think they can improve the Live View AF and the OVF AF and I'd be surprised considering the camera is as new as it is if they don't.
You'd be surprised, I'd be really pissed off if they don't. I mean, the price difference is more than $2,500!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
From a historical perspective, did Canon ever do a firmware upgrade to the 1DX Mk2 to give it additional functions found in the 5D Mk4? I seem to recall the 5D Mk4 having AF Servo in liveview, but if I remember correctly the 1DX Mk2 only had one shot AF. If I am incorrect please correct my statement.

I don’t think you’re wrong. The only functionality I remember added to a 1D series camera was focusing at f/8 on the original 1DX.

I remember people were hoping Canon would add full touch screen capabilities to the 1DX2, but Canon never did. Canon also never added AF Servo in live view either, which was a big bummer.

Historically, the 1D series are sold as is, with only minor glitches in software corrected throughout the model lifespan. The question is: are we dealing with an all new Canon now? The R5 and R6 were uncharacteristically bold moves for a very conservative company. Perhaps Canon has a different strategy these days which will ultimately lead to feature add-ons? I hope so.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Unless, of course, if animal eye detection is more of a marketing claim than reality. Remains to be seen if the R5 tracks animal eyes better than the 1Dx III in actual use.
Let's not forget that a tiny little rectangle on the eye in the EVF doesn't actually mean that the focus is necessarily in that particular spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Let's not forget that a tiny little rectangle on the eye in the EVF doesn't actually mean that the focus is necessarily in that particular spot.
Better to say the camera is attempting to focus on the spot within the box. For relatively static subjects, that is a pretty simple job. For dynamic subjects, using servo AF, predictive AF comes into play and makes the job exponentially more difficult. My experience is that Canon’s servo AF works remarkably well in most cases. I am hoping AI servo works even better in the new R5/6.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Based on reports from the field by those using the 1D X Mark III, turning "Human face detection" on when using the OVF already gets better results tracking birds eyes than turning it off. If Canon does issue a firmware update, it may just be adding another label in the menu for doing the same thing it's already doing without the label.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0