R5C’s Hybrid Interfaces a Feature, Not a Hack

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Guess it's not a device for an event shooter that carries a single camera, else carry a second dedicated still camera. Most professionals rarely carry a single samera.
You much be confusing carry and owning. Carrying two cameras isnt needed in most cases. Usually weddings it is useful the most for multiple angles without having to waste time grabbing another camera. Unless you guys are making Canon out to be morons for the quick record feature, it therwise is a life saver literally. I actually used to carry a cinema camera and a photo camera at events because the c100 was so much better than a 5dmark 3 for video. I probably
destroyed my lower back doing so.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Baskin's review is actually really interesting reading. Very different to the 'initial impressions' reviews (including DPR) that coudn't get past the fact the IBIS was left out (and internal NDs not included). He comes to the conclusion that it is probably the first genuine hybrid - not 100% perfect either for video or stills, but very usable at a high/professional standard for both, in a way that previous cameras haven't been.
I do not think that I agree with him.
I would call the 1DC a genuine hybrid.
Canon calls the R5 C a hybrid cinema camera.
It may be the first but the S1H has a good argument.
Canon seems to believe that cinema cameras should not have IBIS so by that perspective they probably do not think of the S1H and GH6 as cinema cameras.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I have no problem with it but for event shooters that need to switch back and forth its no good unless there is a fast record mode. Is there one. the battery life situation and reboot made me hold off. I already have a c70 and r3.
Event shooters on a gig with one single camera body and tasked to shoot stills and video? I rarely see any event personel constantly switching between video and stills on a singular camera device.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Depends on the client budget and team availability if I want to hire a team or do it myself. plenty of pros do both. That is why they call it hybrid. With the R series the pause is tiny. I made plenty of money doing it that way. Who says we cant afford more shooters. I have R5s, R3, c70s etc and still can pay my bills and run a studio. So hybrid shooting isn't all that bad for me. There are a lot of weird closed minded people on this page when it comes to topics related to photo and video.
Hybrid means different things to different people. It doesn't mean its a hybrid for every single genre. Narrative and documentary isn't weddings.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
You much be confusing carry and owning. Carrying two cameras isnt needed in most cases. Usually weddings it is useful the most for multiple angles without having to waste time grabbing another camera. Unless you guys are making Canon out to be morons for the quick record feature, it therwise is a life saver literally. I actually used to carry a cinema camera and a photo camera at events because the c100 was so much better than a 5dmark 3 for video. I probably
destroyed my lower back doing so.
It's your choice, own or rent. Every camera operator doesn't own the equipment. Many wedding professionals use a second person to operate the video camera else a lot of shots will undoubtedly be missed. People run their businesses and media companies differently. That's why it wears a cinema badge.

Upvote 0