R6 Shipped from B&H!

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Pasting this over from an amazon review, would be interested in hearing if anyone else has these problems.

1) Electronic view finder is supposed to be the best, but from 5 minutes of playing with the camera, EVF is very disappointing - despite 120Hz refresh rate, the image is very choppy and laggy, almost like watching a retro video game - nauseating. That, and the build quality compared to 5D Mark III feels very cheap - too much plastic. There are some good features though, like auto-focus, high quality video, etc.

UPDATE: The EVF appears to be definitely glitchy. Stuttering aside, 2-3 times, when it was supposed to turn on by face proximity, it flashed a white thick line on its upper edge, and then remained dark. Maybe I got a defective unit.

and 2 ) Glitchy screen. Not sure if my camera is defective but the screen flashes on and off every few seconds. WiFi connect also barely works and I’ve tried everything. Connects but then won’t reconnect. I emailed canon and they said to send it in for repair. Annoying because the camera is a week old and basically sold out so I can’t just exchange via amazon. Will update if I figure this out...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
When did you order from amazon?

Pasting this over from an amazon review, would be interested in hearing if anyone else has these problems.

1) Electronic view finder is supposed to be the best, but from 5 minutes of playing with the camera, EVF is very disappointing - despite 120Hz refresh rate, the image is very choppy and laggy, almost like watching a retro video game - nauseating. That, and the build quality compared to 5D Mark III feels very cheap - too much plastic. There are some good features though, like auto-focus, high quality video, etc.

UPDATE: The EVF appears to be definitely glitchy. Stuttering aside, 2-3 times, when it was supposed to turn on by face proximity, it flashed a white thick line on its upper edge, and then remained dark. Maybe I got a defective unit.

and 2 ) Glitchy screen. Not sure if my camera is defective but the screen flashes on and off every few seconds. WiFi connect also barely works and I’ve tried everything. Connects but then won’t reconnect. I emailed canon and they said to send it in for repair. Annoying because the camera is a week old and basically sold out so I can’t just exchange via amazon. Will update if I figure this out...

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If you stop buying electronics for one-off failing units, I hope you enjoy reading books in candle light.
Big thumps up for that. Sh*t happens. I exchanged a USB blue ray drive and a set of 32 GB DDR4 memory sticks a few weeks ago, since I happened to have bad luck with both (totally unrelated products and sellers, just bought at similar times). The original drive wasn't detected with any of my devices (Windows and Linux) despite being advertised as plug and play, and the memory stick caused fairly frequent blue screen crashes with random error codes. Received replacements for both withing days of sending in the defect ones, at no cost, the replacements work just as intended. Sure, it was an inconvinience sending them in in the first place, but that's part of the tradeoff that comes with paying consumer level prices for consumer level goods.

Mind you, books can have misprints (I have one with an ink splotch) and probably bad glue for the pages too (don't have one of those yet). Candles tend to have plenty of defects, but they are consumables so it probably doesn't count.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Mind you, books can have misprints (I have one with an ink splotch) and probably bad glue for the pages too (don't have one of those yet). Candles tend to have plenty of defects, but they are consumables so it probably doesn't count.

I have a couple of paperbacks where the cover has become completely detached from the pages (but the pages stick together just fine), and have had a few where at least some portion of the pages (near the beginning or end, usually) will fall out if you're not careful with the book.

Upvote 0
Ordered R6 August 6th and was just notified it shipped from B&H, still waiting for an R5 And EF to RF adapter.

Here you go. In stock

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It's possible reports like this reflect, to an extent, the nature of shipping and handling. I don't think it's easy to exaggerate how many packages get rough treatment along the way.

I do think the camera companies and the retail stores should work together better than ever to reduce handling problems--especially with packaging!

And I wish that companies such as FedEx and UPS could have different procedures for items that cost over a certain amount...$2000 or more? Perhaps a locker within the truck, something with strong steel mesh, for fragile, expensive items. This would at least prevent some of the crushing, ripping, and dropping that happens with the bulk of packages jammed into the trucks. How does it make sense to put a $2500 lens right next to a $30 toy truck--and handle them exactly the same way? Ok, ok, ok...Volume and speed trump all.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And I wish that companies such as FedEx and UPS could have different procedures for items that cost over a certain amount...$2000 or more? Perhaps a locker within the truck, something with strong steel mesh, for fragile, expensive items. This would at least prevent some of the crushing, ripping, and dropping that happens with the bulk of packages jammed into the trucks. How does it make sense to put a $2500 lens right next to a $30 toy truck--and handle them exactly the same way? Ok, ok, ok...Volume and speed trump all.

And doing it that way will call attention to the more theftworthy packages.

I have bought coins through the mail (and some of those can make camera gear look cheap, with the exception, of course, of the old 1200mm f/5.6), and generally those go registered; apparently those have to be signed for every step of the way and are kept in special places. The dealers don't bother with postal insurance, but do generally have some other form of insurance to cover the occasional theft.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You mean by their own employees? Wouldn't today's tracking make it easy to see where the package disappeared, to narrow down the suspects to a very small number?

I don't place a lot of faith in the tracking.

I was surprised to discover with a recent purchase that it had already been delivered and signed for BY ME, even though I hadn't gone to work yet (I had it delivered to my work address). Of course it was just a coworker accepting the package but it should have been his name! That was FedEx I believe

Another case was a registered package in the post office, marked as "delivered" but signed for by someone whose name seemed familiar...it was the postal employee, and he had simply stuck it in my PO Box. I had thought that was against the rules.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I don't place a lot of faith in the tracking.

I was surprised to discover with a recent purchase that it had already been delivered and signed for BY ME, even though I hadn't gone to work yet (I had it delivered to my work address). Of course it was just a coworker accepting the package but it should have been his name! That was FedEx I believe

Another case was a registered package in the post office, marked as "delivered" but signed for by someone whose name seemed familiar...it was the postal employee, and he had simply stuck it in my PO Box. I had thought that was against the rules.

My 28-70mm lens was "signature required, make sure someone is home to receive". When I saw the fedex truck come, I already started to walk to south wing door. But by the time I got there the driver was already gone, didn't even ring the bell. Just left the box by the door.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0