Railway odds and ends...

From a day out on the Swanage railway in the summer, this one at Corfe Castle.

I was aiming for a 50's style seaside poster look.. which I felt fitted well with the subject... Though I haven't managed to posterise the colours decently yet.

Swanage_Railway_at_Corfe.JPG

Taken with my trusty 30D + 28f1.8

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
Click said:
rfdesigner said:

I was aiming for a 50's style seaside poster look.. which I felt fitted well with the subject... Though I haven't managed to posterise the colours decently yet.

I really like this picture. Well done, rfdesigner.

+1 If only the folks on the platform had cooperated and worn '50's clothing....................

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Last week, we took the Cog Railway to the top of Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast US and the 'home of the world's worst weather'. The Cog is the world's first cog railway and the second-steepest, with a 25% average grade. They run one trip per day (the first) with a coal-fired steam locomotive that burns a hand-shoveled short ton of coal and boils 1000 gallons of water for the trip, which averages ~3 miles per hour on the way up and 5 mph on the way down. The rest of the trips are with biodiesel locomotives. As is the tradition, we were mooned on the way up. ;)

1. A single passenger coach is pushed up the mountain by the locomotive. On the way down, the coach is disconnected from the engine, and the brakeman keeps it within a few inches of the engine that preceeds the coach down the mountain.

2. The locomotive is built with a downward angle so the boiler is level for most of the trip up/down the mountain.

3. Jacob’s ladder, the steetpest section of the railway with a 37.4% grade.

4. Smoke and steam from the locomotive drifting out over the Presidential Range.

All of the shots are with the EOS M2 and the EF-M 11-22mm lens. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Cog4.jpg
    Cog4.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 553
  • Cog3.jpg
    Cog3.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 576
  • Cog2.jpg
    Cog2.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 538
  • Cog1.jpg
    Cog1.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 512
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Two shots from the Welsh Highland Railway which runs from Caernarfon to Porthmadog (pronounced Portmadock, not Port Mad Dog). The first is taken on the G1x in Porthmadog and the second on the 5DII + 40 pancake (my point-and-shoot substitute when I haven't got a PAS with me) in Caernarfon. These are the two 16 Class Garratt engines that the WHR have, built in 1958 and exported to South Africa. When the line was rebuilt and opened recently after having been closed since 1934, the WHR bought the redundant locomotives from SA. They are narrow gauge to enable them to go around tight bends in the track.

The shot on the 5D was pushing it as much as I could as it is shot into the mid-day sun and the end of the locomotive is painted black and is in heavy shadow. There are only a few specks blown in the raw of the clouds and I think the blacks have lifted up just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0159 1500.png
    IMG_0159 1500.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 202
  • _MG_7228 1500.png
    _MG_7228 1500.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 185
Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Two shots from the Welsh Highland Railway which runs from Caernarfon to Porthmadog (pronounced Portmadock, not Port Mad Dog). The first is taken on the G1x in Porthmadog and the second on the 5DII + 40 pancake (my point-and-shoot substitute when I haven't got a PAS with me) in Caernarfon. These are the two 16 Class Garratt engines that the WHR have, built in 1958 and exported to South Africa. When the line was rebuilt and opened recently after having been closed since 1934, the WHR bought the redundant locomotives from SA. They are narrow gauge to enable them to go around tight bends in the track.

The shot on the 5D was pushing it as much as I could as it is shot into the mid-day sun and the end of the locomotive is painted black and is in heavy shadow. There are only a few specks blown in the raw of the clouds and I think the blacks have lifted up just fine.

I love the NGG16 engines.. they can stroll away with almost anything you give them, yet tread so very lightly on their tracks, amazing machines.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:

Love these old style engines! We only have greasy diesels here. :)

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:

Swanage_Railway_at_Corfe.JPG

Taken with my trusty 30D + 28f1.8

I love the castle in the background and how the station matches the castle. Nice angle on the train too (leading lines). Well done.

Upvote 0