Railway odds and ends...

D

Deleted member 378664

Just another one of my day-to-night conversions.

Train no. 628 270. Destination: Elmstreet
Your train driver tonight: Freddy Krüger himself, enjoy your ride as long as you're alive :eek::

628_270.jpg

regards
Frank

Upvote 0
Photorex said:
Hello dpc,

really cool machines on your last post. What is the purpose of the orange one? This one looks animal like with the headlights on top of the hood, like a orange crocodile or a big frog.
I guess the yellow one is some kind of a snowblower / snowplow to free the tracks from snow.

Frank

Hi, Frank! I'm afraid I don't know much about railway maintenance equipment. Someone else on the forum may be able to provide better information. I think the yellow machine is a maintenance of way spreader. The orange one may be a ballast regulator. I definitely stand to be corrected.

Upvote 0
Photorex said:
Here is one from me.

It is the Harzer Schmalspurbahn HSB (Harzer narrow track railway) near the Harz Mountains (City Wernigerode) in the northeast of Germany.

HSB-Westerntor.jpg

The picture was taken during a sunny afternoon. I darkened it in post for a more dramatic look and "switched" on the lights of the steamtrain with Lightroom.

nicely done.

As you "switched on" the headlamps I thought I'd share this bit of info.

If you see UK steam being worked you may find headlamps in odd positions with some lamps being out while others are on. This is because there were coding systems, GWR codes denoted train type, whilst Southern Railways codes denoted train destination, I don't know about them all. So if you "turn on" lamps on UK trains you might be suggesting that the passenger train is in fact a "fast goods", personally I wouldn't care, but there are "rivet-counters" out there who can be quite annoying.

I checked on the HSB website and it seems that there the headlamps were only there for illumination, and anyway it looks good!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

rfdesigner said:
nicely done.

As you "switched on" the headlamps I thought I'd share this bit of info.

If you see UK steam being worked you may find headlamps in odd positions with some lamps being out while others are on. This is because there were coding systems, GWR codes denoted train type, whilst Southern Railways codes denoted train destination, I don't know about them all. So if you "turn on" lamps on UK trains you might be suggesting that the passenger train is in fact a "fast goods", personally I wouldn't care, but there are "rivet-counters" out there who can be quite annoying.

I checked on the HSB website and it seems that there the headlamps were only there for illumination, and anyway it looks good!

@rfdesigner: Thank you for the intersting information. I didn't know from such codes. So I will regard them, if one day I'll work on photos from a UK (steam) train.
Yes, in Germany the headlights are "only" meant for what they are designed for. Just Illumination.

Frank

Upvote 0