Really obscure and silly question about Canon LH-D12 lens case.

Nov 12, 2016
Well I finally found a factory Canon LH-D12 lens case to go with my 50mm f1.0. Because if you're going to have the most exotic 50mm lens Canon ever made, what is it worth without the fancy case that it came with?

Thing is, I'm not exactly sure how this case is supposed to be inside. When I got it, it came with the little chunk of gray foam just thrown inside the case, and the little loose piece of velvet fabric was shoved in the top, but with the velvet side facing away so you couldn't see it. I'm pretty sure that's not right. But what is the proper way these little pieces are supposed to go in the case? I'm guessing that little chunk of foam goes in the hole in the lid, and then that piece of fabric gets tucked in around it with the red velvet side facing out, so it makes a little squishy area for the rear lens cap to set inside when the case is closed.

There are very few photos of this case online, and the ones that are out there seem like they might be missing this piece of fabric and foam entirely. Does anyone have this case or one similar, and is that how it's supposed to go? I know this is splitting some massive hairs, but what's the fun in collecting a vintage lens case if you can't obsess about whether or not it's put together right?

Attachments

• 1R5_4839.jpg
    1R5_4839.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 1R5_4840.jpg
    1R5_4840.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 93
Nov 12, 2016
Are you sure the foam is not part of the case? It is the exact same color and consistency as the foam backing on the back of the felt covered disc, which definitely matches the inside of the case. You're telling me someone randomly found a chunk of foam somewhere along the line that was exactly like the foam on the disc?

With just the disc shoved in the hole, the lens has a little room to shake around inside the case. With the foam behind it, there is no play.

Granted the case might have been originally for an 85 f1.2 (it almost certainly was because they were so much more common.) But would Canon really give the same model number to two cases that were slightly different? How would you order a replacement of the correct case for your lens back in the day?

1R5_4841.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Are you sure the foam is not part of the case? It is the exact same color and consistency as the foam backing on the back of the felt covered disc, which definitely matches the inside of the case. You're telling me someone randomly found a chunk of foam somewhere along the line that was exactly like the foam on the disc?

With just the disc shoved in the hole, the lens has a little room to shake around inside the case. With the foam behind it, there is no play.

Granted the case might have been originally for an 85 f1.2 (it almost certainly was because they were so much more common.) But would Canon really give the same model number to two cases that were slightly different? How would you order a replacement of the correct case for your lens back in the day?

View attachment 196760
Well I haven't seen everything but I've never seen that square bit. I would agree with you it is the same color and texture as the original bit though and your point that with that padding there is no play certainly makes good sense. Maybe somebody else knows better. Craig has the lens and I thought the case too, maybe email him?

But to me it looks like regular pick and pluck foam which is not Canon.

Yes the model number of the cases would be the same, just like the pouches that you get with most L lenses, the number is the diameter and length, so the LP1219 is 12cm wide and 19cm long and comes with the 100L Macro and the TS-E50, amongst others. The option for fitting different lenses in the hard case is the disc, some lenses need it and some don't, and I had several very similar for FD lenses.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Well I haven't seen everything but I've never seen that square bit. I would agree with you it is the same color and texture as the original bit though and your point that with that padding there is no play certainly makes good sense. Maybe somebody else knows better. Craig has the lens and I thought the case too, maybe email him?

But to me it looks like regular pick and pluck foam which is not Canon.

Yes the model number of the cases would be the same, just like the pouches that you get with most L lenses, the number is the diameter and length, so the LP1219 is 12cm wide and 19cm long and comes with the 100L Macro and the TS-E50, amongst others. The option for fitting different lenses in the hard case is the disc, some lenses need it and some don't, and I had several very similar for FD lenses.
Hmmm, you're right, it is pick and pluck foam. There is a partial seam down the middle. Makes me wonder if the original case did have some play and someone fixed that with some pick and pluck? But still it is very very similar to the foam on the back of the disc. I guess either way I'm content, but who is Craig?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Here is a photo of the Canon LH-D12, it also came with the FD85 f1.2 L, but when it was packaged with that it didn’t have the circular insert. So I believe that is EF 50 f1.0 only, but I still believe the square is not Canon and has been put in to pad it out even more.

Basically I believe my first answer was correct.

Wow, so you think I actually received a case originally for a 50mm f1.0? That would be extremely lucky. I have noticed this before, but the 85mm L is slightly taller than the 50mm. This photo is of the 85mm II because I don't have the original to compare with, but the original might be the same. The bodies of the lenses are the same, but the focus ring on the 85 is just a little taller.

So, this bears out the idea that the little insert might have been just for the 50mm 1.0. The insert itself is very thin.

1R5_4844.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I don't know if you plan to use your case for transport of your 50mm f/1, but I suggest you don't.
I had one of same type blow out on me while I was just standing around with it on my shoulder ending in a damaged 180mm Macro. Luckily, I was able to send the lens back to the vendor since I had bought it so recently.

No I'm almost definitely not actually going to use the case. It doesn't actually have much padding or gives much protection against drops. And also yes the snap system that it uses to close seems like it would easily pop open.

I got this case mainly because it was cheap and it's just neat to have the matching case for such a rare lens. Besides, from a collectible standpoint, I would not want the case to get beaten up from regular use.

Upvote 0
I have one of these that I bought in a Canon package with the lens so I know exactly what (strange) way things fit together.
The hole in the lid is not supposed to be filled up- that's where the rear lens cap goes.
The sun shade is put in after the lens is in place but oddly it goes opening downwards but at that point it's sitting over the back of the lens.
There are two felt pad thingies that are the red color on one side and black on the other that serve as spacers between the back of the lens and the sun shade.
There's really no need for them.
It may be that someone cannibalized one of these pads to get some red material to join with the gray foam for whatever reason- probably because someone was trying to use the case for a shorter lens the case was not intended for.

Upvote 0