Reptiles and Amphibians

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I had to search the web for the "English Sparrow":D - if you mean "House Sparrow" (as I know it) we have plenty. It deserves the name "World Sparrow"!
Concerning the "invaders" - yes, I'm invader in both: Canon rumors (just few years) and Hawaii (more than 18 years), but I'm feeling pretty much home in both;)!

I only knew English sparrow until some years back. I figure the English don't want that dirty bird associated with them. Seems ours in Canada did come from England probably with my grandfather. There are many in Edmonton only 15 miles from me and practically none where I am on my acreage - thankfully. I have no idea why.

Your CR invasion has shown up us Canonites! So, hopefully you'll stick around.:)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Cog.
Very nice shot, hopefully it let you know you were getting close before you got too close! Lucky you spotted it, could have ruined more than your day!
Fortunately here, the worst we face is twisting an ankle down a rabbit hole or similar mechanical injury, or maybe getting attacked by a gull, no real high level wild predators!

Cheers, Graham.

It's not a very good picture, and kind of off-topic as it was taken on a 4/3 Olympus camera, but it's a reminder how dangerous the shooting activity might be. I didn't notice the guy in the bush and nearly stepped on him while doing some wildlife photography in Arizona a month ago.

Upvote 0
Nice photo! That is a Gopher Snake (Pituophis catenifer). Many people think they are Batesian mimics of rattlesnakes. They have that strange rostral scale (right on the tip of their snout) that sticks out from the other scales. They can be distinguished from rattlesnkes by having round pupils (like most other non-vipers), no hole between their external nare and eye (opening to the pit organ), and (of course).....no rattle. However, they do hiss sometimes when disturbed, and some people think the hissing is mimicking a rattle.

I am really enjoying getting to see everyone's photos on this thread!

It's not a very good picture, and kind of off-topic as it was taken on a 4/3 Olympus camera, but it's a reminder how dangerous the shooting activity might be. I didn't notice the guy in the bush and nearly stepped on him while doing some wildlife photography in Arizona a month ago.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Spring time is amphibians time. Came across tose three lately.
Though I thought I was a decent zoologist I couldn't tell them 100% apart.
So if one can tell me for sure which is a edible frog (I suppose #2), a marsh frog, a moor frog or anything else, please let me know.

Frog1.JPG

Frog2.JPG

Frog3.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Peter in Boulder

EOS 90D & Fuji X-E3
Aug 21, 2019
An iguana taken a few years ago on a trip to Costa Rica. I rented the EF 100-400 Mk II for this trip, and then bought it for the next one.

The jpeg output from Photoshop looks great on my 5k iMac, but looks terrible on the 1920x1080 display of my work computer. Any recommendations on exporting jpegs for output on standard res displays?Iguana_Web2.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
An iguana taken a few years ago on a trip to Costa Rica. I rented the EF 100-400 Mk II for this trip, and then bought it for the next one.

The jpeg output from Photoshop looks great on my 5k iMac, but looks terrible on the 1920x1080 display of my work computer. Any recommendations on exporting jpegs for output on standard res displays?View attachment 190066
Looks just fine+ on my 32" 4K BenQ

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0