Review - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Badger said:
I know I'm late to the game, but I have a 50mm 1.8 that has a problem with my 6D that AFMA can't fix. Just bought the 85mm 1.8 (love it) and was considering a replacement for my 50mm 1.8. I thought it was going to be the 50mm 1.4 but after reading all this, I'm thinking I'm going to wait. Might buy the shorty 40 while I wait for Sigma to actually give us a price. If the new Sigma is as good as everyone thinks its going to be, and it costs under $800, I'm there.

I'm also very interested in what the Sigma will bring - and I'll definitely be reviewing it when it's available. If you can get the 50mm while it's on sale for less than $400 I think it's still an incredible value. Despite my "ho hum" review of the 40mm it's kind of grown on me, it's a very capable lens and if you don't have a zoom in that focal range it's a no-brainer as a buy.

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
Despite my "ho hum" review of the 40mm it's kind of grown on me, it's a very capable lens and if you don't have a zoom in that focal range it's a no-brainer as a buy.

I do have the 24-105 f/4 but I don't think I have a single "Wow" picture taken with it. It wasn't till I slapped the 50mm 1.8 on on the 6D and got some "Wow" pictures that I realized how special primes can be. My problem with my 50mm is focus accuracy. It is so unreliable. Bought FoCal Pro and every time I run it with the 1.8, it tells me my predicted adjustment is off the chart. If I force it to continue, I get an adjustment of +16...but I digress.

I am happy to play with and get to know my new 85mm for now but at some point, I really feel the need to replace the my 50mm.

Upvote 0
Badger said:
Despite my "ho hum" review of the 40mm it's kind of grown on me, it's a very capable lens and if you don't have a zoom in that focal range it's a no-brainer as a buy.

I do have the 24-105 f/4 but I don't think I have a single "Wow" picture taken with it. It wasn't till I slapped the 50mm 1.8 on on the 6D and got some "Wow" pictures that I realized how special primes can be. My problem with my 50mm is focus accuracy. It is so unreliable. Bought FoCal Pro and every time I run it with the 1.8, it tells me my predicted adjustment is off the chart. If I force it to continue, I get an adjustment of +16...but I digress.

I am happy to play with and get to know my new 85mm for now but at some point, I really feel the need to replace the my 50mm.

Now you see why they call it the "thrifty fifty"!! At that price there's gotta be some compromise and unfortunately AF accuracy is one of them. Bloody good glass though! It was great on my 550D.

Having recently picked up a used Sigma 50 1.4 I would say it is a great lens for the money but again the AF is a bit of a let down. Nothing even close to a good USM lens. Focus shifts too. But the IQ is very nice. I'm using it for now for non critical stuff and general messing around in the spring.

I would wait a bit before doing any 50 shopping.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
I keep hearing people complain about the focusing problems with the f/1.4. I guess I have a pretty good copy because mine works superbly when paired with the 5D3.

That said, focus shift is not a problem for me. The f/1.4 comes out only when light levels are real low and I'm shooting wide open most of the time. For reasonable light shooting, I use the 24-70II which is as sharp as anything at 50mm at almost all aperture settings.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Marsu42 said:
Gilbo65 said:
I have the 1.8 and 1.4 In my experience, the 1.4 is the better lens

That doesn't mean much :p ... a piece of plastic cut from the bottom of a yoghourt can is a better lens than the 50/1.8 ... seriously, it's just so famed because it's so cheap for the f1.8 and it's the "plastic fantastic" legend by now. As for the f1.4 I'd just advise anybody to try the af before buying or keeping it, that's why I don't have it (and also never use my f1.8 btw).
I'd like to see an image made by "a piece of plastic cut from the bottom of a yoghourt can" that is better than the image made with a 50 f/1.8

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Gilbo65 said:
I have the 1.8 and 1.4

In my experience, the 1.4 is the better lens - just so long as it continues to work for a few more years. At the price though, I won't be heartbroken if it does and by then, who knows? Canon may have the long awaited replacement.

Used it on our tour of the Pacific North-West this summer. Perfect for low light shots with my 6D - got some low-light shots simply not possible with many other combinations (certainly not at the price point!)

Low-Light ISO 10,000 f/1.4
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22983840@N08/9725838260/?reuploaded=1

And shots for "pop"? - I'm pleased with this. Just love the contrast and colour straight from the shot without the need to post process:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22983840@N08/9661037319/

So yes, an old lens, but still a worthwhile addition - especially for those without a 50mm
+1 ... I totally agree ... and nice images.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
That doesn't mean much :p ... a piece of plastic cut from the bottom of a yoghourt can is a better lens than the 50/1.8 ... seriously, it's just so famed because it's so cheap for the f1.8 and it's the "plastic fantastic" legend by now.

Don't you think that's a bit harsh and unfair? I know of many people who have shot beautiful images with the nifty fifty. You just have to look at the Flickr pool for that. I agree the color isn't as good as an L (no shit, Sherlock!), but nevertheless it can create images that simply pop.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Re: Review - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 - fragile!

rowlandw said:
This lens has a reputation for fragility of the focus mechanism. Mine bumped against a wall (tapped is more like it) and lost the ability to focus. I will not buy a replacement until Canon comes out with a mark II version.

The 1.4 does have a reputation of the AF getting damaged with bumps on the lens. I had a hood permanently mounted on the 50 1.4 when I had it. Never removed it and never experienced any problems.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
BozillaNZ said:
Boooo! Reviewing a EF 50 1.4 at 2013? Really? It's like... teaching grandma how to suck eggs.

But seriously, the AF is so inconsistent that the hit rate is unbearable at wide apertures. Try to shoot at f1.8 (forget about wide open) and hit a target at normal shooting distance of 1-3m.

You get one front focus, one more or less on target, one back focus! That's just the way this lens works. The plastic gears have huge slacks which makes precise focusing impossible.

Not to mention a slight knock or squeeze will make it stop working! Both in AF and MF!

This lens is so bad, that it make me question Canon's sanity.

Anyone saying the don't see the problem of inconsistent AF on EF 50 1.4 just haven't seen anything better. Go borrow/rent/buy a good lens with ring USM, do a compare and tell the different yourself.

Strong opinions based on personal experience. I got lucky with my first and only copy. My AF is lightning fast and extremely accurate. For comparison, I also own the 24-70mm 2.8 II and the 85mm 1.8, neither of which has a reputation for pokey AF.

The ef 50mm 1.4 is the the lens I most often take to the beach and carelessly leave attached to a 60D which I tend to jam into bags or tight console compartments...So it does take a beating.

Upvote 0
There are multiple strong opinions, as this lens is a POS physically. When it works it's great. I've had no problems with AF performance or inconsistencies and images are always great (f/1.4 has a more than the average softness, but this can be an advantage if you feel like exploiting), but it must be babied. I'm on my third round after repairs, I learned my lesson after the first but apparently not quite well enough - the last time it broke it was literally because I was pushing the lens into a foam cutout storage case. Yes, you heard that right, the pressure of pushing into foam broke the USM ring. My lens hood is now permanently in place and I won't use any filters on this lens, and always fully retract before putting lens cover on the front. Maybe this time it will last a few months.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Nethawk said:
There are multiple strong opinions, as this lens is a POS physically. When it works it's great. I've had no problems with AF performance or inconsistencies and images are always great (f/1.4 has a more than the average softness, but this can be an advantage if you feel like exploiting), but it must be babied. I'm on my third round after repairs, I learned my lesson after the first but apparently not quite well enough - the last time it broke it was literally because I was pushing the lens into a foam cutout storage case. Yes, you heard that right, the pressure of pushing into foam broke the USM ring. My lens hood is now permanently in place and I won't use any filters on this lens, and always fully retract before putting lens cover on the front. Maybe this time it will last a few months.
I really don't like it when lenses that extend when zooming or focusing, and I'm super cautious with retracting lenses of those designs. Thankfully I haven't had any problems yet.

Upvote 0
This is one of my favorite lenses. I can't seem to shake it. My AF is wonky. I dropped it onto a rug from about 2 ft high and the helicoid warped. There is a very thin section of plastic. I was able to shape it back close to the way it should. It worked pretty well for a year or two, and then it is now snagging at points. Manual works though, it feels a little rough. at 5.6 though this thing is sharp. At 1.4 things aren't so great, but it does make the occasional dreamy portrait. This lens has definitely been worth every dollar I spent on it.($300 used). I do always keep the hood on it. It is well worth the investment.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.