Review: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III real world sports review

Jun 12, 2015
The III seems to be a worthy upgrade. It will be a long 5-6 years until I can buy one used at a (for my needs) reasonable price. ;)

My lens investments are mainly within RF at this point, but I love my collection of Canon L lenses, and also some Zeiss classic lenses. Recently I reacquired a 1DX, after selling the 1DXII a year ago. Got it way too cheap (Less than 1000 usd), and couldn’t resist. I have to say, the 1DX is, by todays standards, still in many ways an amazing camera. It is faster and more responsive than any other camera I have used (not including the 1DXII, of course.)The AF is faster and noticeably more precise than the 5DIV. ISO performance is still impressive. Somehow, it’s files seems to be sharper at a 100% view than I am used to, compared to the 6D and 5DIV. Last, and very significant, it’s viewfinder and standard matte screen is sooo good. It is large, bright, sharp, and is much better than newer DSLRs (Including the 1DXII) at showing the focus plane. Using it with Zeiss manual focus lenses works like a dream.

Using the 1DX gives me a kind of photografic satisfaction that I never get from my 5DIV or EOS R. And yes. It is a highly subjective opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have always used single point and expanded for sports as nothing else is usable. The AF upgrade may really change the way I shoot. Mine is coming in February in the middle of volleyball season, so that will be one test.
Very interested in your experience. I'm sticking to the 1Dx II for the remainder of this school year (or at least trying to) and hoping to see some modest deals over the summer. I agree, volleyball is about the most challenging for autofocus, so I'll be anxious to hear what you think. Not just on the zones, but also the ISO performance and the new selection pad. Sounded like Peter Read Miller was still trying to get used to the pad.

Upvote 0
Very interested in your experience. I'm sticking to the 1Dx II for the remainder of this school year (or at least trying to) and hoping to see some modest deals over the summer. I agree, volleyball is about the most challenging for autofocus, so I'll be anxious to hear what you think. Not just on the zones, but also the ISO performance and the new selection pad. Sounded like Peter Read Miller was still trying to get used to the pad.

Yeah, Peter is trying to keep up with new tech. He certainly appreciated the auto AF modes.

I have a tournament Feb 22 and 23, so hopefully my iii comes in before that. I can A/B with the ii and the same lenses for comparison.

Upvote 0
Well, do remember to gives us your feedback in that case scenario.:)
And then go out doing some bird photography and report back!;)
My single most significant complaint about the 1DX2 is that it almost certainly was not refocusing when shooting at 14 FPS, for me anyway, having tried a few different settings. Otherwise I could have had some more really great flight photos of small birds and action photos of running animals. AF and improved high ISO would be the possible tip the scale items for my GAS (and maybe the improvement in the sensor LP filter).

Jack

I'm not normally a birder, but it would be fun to head out to the beach and catch some gulls or pelicans. Gives me an excuse to get away from the chaos that is my house.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
They can but will they do it? EOS 5DMkIV has 7fps half of 1DxMkII fps using viewfinder.
And 5DMkIII had 6fps half of the 12fps of 1Dx using viewfinder.
But even if 5DMkV gets 8fps this is enough for both birding and sports (remember the first Canon EOS 1D series?)
The issue with 5DMkV will be how fast and accurate is the focusing and whether it will be able to drive really fast the big teles (with or without the teleconverters). I think it will be well behind 1DxIII (in the white tele drive part at least)

EDIT: And what about the buffer?

I'd settle for 7 seconds at the fastest frame rate. Assuming 8 FPS, that's 56 frames. At 16 FPS, it's 112 frames. Six seconds is the longest time I've ever pressed the shutter and let the motor drive run. That was with an EOS 3 film camera and I used a 36 shot roll of film trying to shoot a weight throw contestant at a Scottish Highland Games. He twirled around for about 5 seconds and I got the shot I wanted 2 frames from the end of the roll. 16FPS would have been a great help.

I'm beginning to think that I should just break down and buy the 1DX3, but $6500 plus tax is a lot of money for a hobby. My buying a 90D is a lot more likely but a 7D3 at 12 FPS with an 84 shot buffer would be better.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'd settle for 7 seconds at the fastest frame rate. Assuming 8 FPS, that's 56 frames. At 16 FPS, it's 112 frames. Six seconds is the longest time I've ever pressed the shutter and let the motor drive run. That was with an EOS 3 film camera and I used a 36 shot roll of film trying to shoot a weight throw contestant at a Scottish Highland Games. He twirled around for about 5 seconds and I got the shot I wanted 2 frames from the end of the roll. 16FPS would have been a great help.

I'm beginning to think that I should just break down and buy the 1DX3, but $6500 plus tax is a lot of money for a hobby. My buying a 90D is a lot more likely but a 7D3 at 12 FPS with an 84 shot buffer would be better.
I would love a 7DIII but I do not see it!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am very intrigued about page 41 of the white paper where it says:
"While Canon engineers are careful not to over-promise on results users should expect, overall
preliminary comparisons of images show about a 1-stop improvement in general noise
performance vs. the previous EOS-1D X Mark II camera
." Has anyone yet compared this yet?

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Which is odd because every 7D2 user I know has bought at least one white L lens. Whereas 6D users in contrast usually just stick with their kit lens.

So not only do they make profit on the 7D body sales but also on lens sales
I'm an example of that: 300 f/2.8 IS and 100-400. The crop allowed me to buy the 300 instead of the 400. My guess is that Canon thinks the 90D is "good enough". It certainly seems to be better than my 7D and at least as good as the 7D2 but a lot cheaper than a 7D3 would be.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Is this supposed to be a good photographer? He has nothing to say and his photos are mediocre. I have seen his instagram account. Can anyone send me a link with great work from peter read miller? Why is it so important what he has to say?

I think I know where you're coming from with this question but maybe not 100%. Is the question, is this guy a good sports photographer?

I don't have any history on him and am not going to research but my immediate reaction is that he must be very good at what he does and at the very least have skill and great technical abilities in the realm of sports photography.

He seems to be very careful not to overstep his bounds of expertise - he uses the camera for a purpose and seems to succeed in that, very well. He's not making any claims relative to his artistic ability is he?

For me personally, it's important what any skilled person says or any artistic person or, well, practically any person other than what's his name. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I’m guessing costs twice as much to manufacture a 7D3 vs a 90D but they can’t sell it for twice as much. It’s a tough camera market and I guess hard decisions have to be made. I think it’ll happen at some point. Canon is just much better at making DSLRs than they are at mirrorless.

Perhaps, but long long ago when I used to sneak away from my desk at the college where I taught and go to the library to read photographic magazines, the underdog Canon, was striving, not content to be looked down upon. I wouldn't count them out too quickly in any realm where they desire to be/stay/or reach the top.

Jack

Upvote 0
Why would you say that? Canon have made millions more mirrorless cameras than DSLR’s.
Because I think they make the worlds best DSLRs and I don’t think they make anywhere near the worlds best mirrorless cameras although they do sell a large number of entry level mirrorless cameras that are primarily aimed at casual users.

Id love to see a Canon mirrorless that’s the technical equivalent of their best DSLRs like the 1DX mark III or a premiere mirrorless like the A9 but I don’t think it will be any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Because I think they make the worlds best DSLRs and I don’t think they make anywhere near the worlds best mirrorless cameras although they do sell a large number of entry level mirrorless cameras that are primarily aimed at casual users.

Id love to see a Canon mirrorless that’s the technical equivalent of their best DSLRs like the 1DX mark III or a premiere mirrorless like the A9 but I don’t think it will be any time soon.
I do not believe the M6II, M6, M5, M50, G7X II, G5X or G1X III are aimed a casual shooters and they cost considerably more than the entry level DSLR's that for many years made Canon their money.

But what doesn't the M6 II do that any crop sensor MILC does? Why is the M50 the 'content creators' darling? Same for the EOS R now they have gotten used to it! I think people are far too dismissive of Canon and even their current mirrorless cameras.

Upvote 0