Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Several of the landscape samples in the DPReview review look like they have slight motion blur @ 100% magnification (even more evident if you zoom to 200%). I wonder if there is some sort of firmware issue with IBIS since these were shot at decent settings like 1/125 @ f/11. If the R5 IBIS looks similar at 1:1, I'm going to stick with my R.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
It's not so much a dislike for his personality. It is how animated and strange he sounds. It is difficult to explain, the best I do is say people with sensory issues and autism don't do well with someone shouting at you. Unless it is a policeman, police are supposed to shout.

And aye his content of on the 1DXIII was great, I really quite liked how in depth he went. But it was a bit more calm than the usual.
Don't disagree with you at all. I will only watch one of his videos if I am really invested in the subject. I managed software development for 13 years as one of my careers, so I have some immunity left over for "unique" personalities. My immunity is starting to fail. My gear is supposed to ship on 7/31, so I will be able to do my own test. I have a friend that raises/trains agility/discs dogs and I will setup a time with her to run through a few routines. Good subject to test tracking and shutter lag since I know what I can do with a 1dx II. Only problem is it is blazing hot in Georgia and we would have short window so as not to overheat the dogs.

Upvote 0
Several of the landscape samples in the DPReview review look like they have slight motion blur @ 100% magnification (even more evident if you zoom to 200%). I wonder if there is some sort of firmware issue with IBIS since these were shot at decent settings like 1/125 @ f/11. If the R5 IBIS looks similar at 1:1, I'm going to stick with my R.

Which ones exactly? I checked a few and they looked ok to me in jpeg. Sadly I couldn't check raw files as apparently adobe camera raw can't read them yet. Was too lazy to install Canon software.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm not sure I trust that report. It is from DPR not Canon. The chart where this information appears is contained in the paragraph about how well IBIS works with IS. It is easy for me to suspect that an exuberant reporter would lump all the new RF lenses together as having IS installed. I noticed that every other lens in that chart does have IS installed.
Nope, the 85mm f/1.2 also has 8 stops and no IS, they claim it is possible to take 2 sec exposures with it hand-held

Upvote 0
Which ones exactly? I checked a few and they looked ok to me in jpeg. Sadly I couldn't check raw files as apparently adobe camera raw can't read them yet. Was too lazy to install Canon software.

I looked at them again just now – set my screen resolution to max and made sure I only zoomed in to 1:1 in PS – they look ok now I guess, but some look sharper than others to me (like the motel sign looks sharper than some of the shots of the fields). Maybe I'm just used to the resolution of the R and its weak AA filter.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I’ll likely wait for another reviewer. I just seen one on the R5 posted in this thread that was good. What I am after now is a proper written review and not another YouTube personality. Jared Polin can be entertaining, but he can also be a lot of work to watch as he uses a lot of tone shifts and he is dreadfully excitable.

Then you need Bryan Carnathan (TDP) or CR Forum regular Dustin Abbott (at his own site and he also has a YouTube channel). Both excel at the overall review in the long-form format without hammering you with samples.

Though I believe both focus on stills usage. If you want to drill down on some aspect of video, I couldn't give you a recommendation as I just shoot stills.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’ll likely wait for another reviewer. I just seen one on the R5 posted in this thread that was good. What I am after now is a proper written review and not another YouTube personality. Jared Polin can be entertaining, but he can also be a lot of work to watch as he uses a lot of tone shifts and he is dreadfully excitable.
I like his personality, and the fact that he is truly brand agnostic, certainly if something is junk, or great, he will say so! I also like that he posts downloadable RAW files. I really don’t like his style of processing his own shots though, way too much contrast, saturation and vibrancy, makes it difficult to see the actual image quality.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I can't watch him. He makes my skin crawl and WHY IS HE ALWAYS SHOUTING???

For me:
1) I don't care about video so I generally only watch reviewers that focus on stills (or in Jordan and Chris's case, I just skip Jordan's content) .​
2) Faux shock jock radio talk show host voice = no thank you.​
3) Harps too much on the keeping up with the Joneses spec wars sort of culture. It gets the clicks, but I don't really benefit from it.​

...but few can deny he's working his tail off, building his brand and making some money. He's not some tastemaker influencer because he's cool and people want to look at him. He's busting hump to provide content that people (apparently) want to see. It's not at all for me, but good on him for building something people can use.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
I'm not sure why you're ascribing what you see to the gear, when it's far more convincingly explained by user error.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Nope, the 85mm f/1.2 also has 8 stops and no IS, they claim it is possible to take 2 sec exposures with it hand-held

Claim and deliver are different things. I expect the IBIS to be good, but I always seem to see reviewers say 'I didn't quite get as much as they claimed, but the IS is still pretty good.'

I personally find the non-IS lenses getting more benefit than IS lenses pretty baffling. Seeing the RF 28-70 f/2L on the 8 stops IBIS list is bonkers. That's a ton of glass and weight to account for, so to make that claim one wonders how they pulled that off.

- A

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
For me:
1) I don't care about video so I generally only watch reviewers that focus on stills (or in Jordan and Chris's case, I just skip Jordan's content) .​
2) Faux shock jock radio talk show host voice = no thank you.​
3) Harps too much on the keeping up with the Joneses spec wars sort of culture. It gets the clicks, but I don't really benefit from it.​

...but few can deny he's working his tail off, building his brand and making some money. He's not some tastemaker influencer because he's cool and people want to look at him. He's busting hump to provide content people (apparently) want to see. It's not at all for me, but good on him for building something people can use.

- A

I can't disagree with a word of this.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Claim and deliver are different things. I expect the IBIS to be good, but I always seem to see reviewers say 'I didn't quite get as much as they claimed, but the IS is still pretty good.'

I personally find the non-IS lenses getting more benefit than IS lenses pretty baffling. Seeing the RF 28-70 f/2L on the 8 stops IBIS list is bonkers. That's a ton of glass and weight to account for, so to make that claim one wonders how they pulled that off.

- A
Canon says the stops are determined using the CIPA standard and that the size of the image circle is the limiting factor.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Could depend on zoom/focus settings.

IBIS is not going to move that weight. Should be the opposite, actually: the bigger the inertia of the camera plus the lens is, the easier it should be to compensate with IBIS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0