Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Shot a music festival last year, gripped 5D4 and 200 F2 and a gripped EOSR with RF85 F1.2
Just over 1600 shots on both but had to swap batteries out on the 5D4 after about 900 shots
Still life in the R's batteries a few days later
Sometimes when I read numbers like this I do wonder if there's something wrong with my 5D4. I get only about 300 photos per battery (LP-E6N) with non-IS lenses (e.g. the 24-70 f/2.8L II), sometimes even fewer. That is in one shot mode, no continuous shooting; I take one photo maybe every one or two minutes, the back display is turned on for displaying settings, but the camera is set to auto power off after 1 minute, image review time is 2 seconds but - admittedly - I chimp every photo and check focus in zoom view, but only for a few seconds. What I did find out is that when using the top display instead of the back display for checking settings the number of photos per battery goes up, but I find the back display much more comfortable, in particular, it allows me to choose the focus point without having to look through the viewfinder. Sorry for the off-topic post, but since a discussion about battery life was going on anyway, I thought it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Upvote 0
Video quality from pre-production EOS R5 - Stunning!!
Vídeo quality from production EOS R6 - Stunning!!
Still Image quality from EOS R6 - Stunning!!

What´s NOT TO LIKE from these 2 beast!!! Keep going haters!! :D Can´t wait to put my hands on both!! Looking sooo forward to test 4k120fps from R5 and stills from both of the cameras!! Looking promising!

Still image quality from the R6 would of been better if Chris had actually nailed his focus. A lot of the shots of Jordan and the train especially are not sharp.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sometimes when I read numbers like this I do wonder if there's something wrong with my 5D4. I get only about 300 photos per battery (LP-E6N) with non-IS lenses (e.g. the 24-70 f/2.8L II), sometimes even fewer.

My 5D4 definitely gets less shots per battery than my old 7D2, but I still can get 1200-1500 shots before a battery change. No grip.
I have Wifi, GPS & any other comms option turned off, but the preview is on, RAW to both cards is on.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My 5D4 definitely gets less shots per battery than my old 7D2, but I still can get 1200-1500 shots before a battery change. No grip.
I have Wifi, GPS & any other comms option turned off, but the preview is on, RAW to both cards is on.
Again, what lenses are you using for 1500 shots?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
What I would like to know is will the EF lenses required to take advantage of the R5's sensor be the same list Canon released when the 5DS/R hit the market?
Getting into the same resolution realm, so I'd guess yes. I've followed AlanF's comments on the 5DSR and generally they were very positive without complaints about glass.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
It's neither arrogance or immaturity, it's frustration.

They're not obligated to build the perfect camera but if they want to continue to sell cameras in a shrinking market with sharper competition then they need to address the specific requirements of discerning users.

I'm still using a 1DX and 1DS3 because Canon have failed to produce anything compelling enough for me to buy in the past nine years. Looks like that will continue for another generation.

If Canon or anyone else wants our money they have to damn well earn it. That's not entitlement, that's the market.

The pre-order success shows that Canon understands the market very well. However, by your argument, delivered as if it is fact ("that's the market.") Canon should be struggling right now for failing to impress "discerning" customers. What is discerning about complaining about a company not building a product to your exact desires? What specific things are missing from these cameras that displeases you, yet you are doing fine with your 1DX and 1DS3? Maybe something is lost in text communication here, but to be frank it sounds a lot like complaining just to complain to me. There seems to be a growing amount of this lately- people pointing out everything wrong, every way they are being victimized or denied some opportunity and what they should be getting- that behavior is what people are labeling entitlement, and I agree with them. Placing opinions and emotions over the compromise required of reality is a form of entitlement. I'm always all ears for a rational critique or well presented frustration, but that comes with some logical reasoning, not just emotion and opinion.

Your words (Canon have failed to produce anything compelling....they better damn well earn it...) suggests you take this somewhat personally but I can't relate to those vague complaints or the emotion. To me and many others Canon have been making great cameras and lenses at many price points all along. I still shoot with a 100-400 mm Mk1, and I'm certainly not mad at Canon that the updates to the lens don't justify the price of a new one to me. Why bother if I am happy where I am at?

How is it you are working fine with older cameras instead of switching brands if the grass is so much greener with all the competition? You imply Canon is failing to compete, so it begs the question.... Or has no company impressed you and you are just upset in general, waiting for some perfect camera for a custom price? Life is short, love what you have or move along if you've found something better. Why be unhappy? You could contact Canon or these other companies directly, which is sure to be more effective in making them consider changing to your needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Seeing as this is Canon's first foray into IBIS and 8K wouldn't it be wise to follow the old saying of "Don't buy first generation of anything"? Wait till the second generation when they've had time to work out the bugs.

We'll be waiting forever.

DSLR - Let's wait for mirrorless....
R - kinda basic and compared to the completion. Let' wait.
RP - let's REEEEALY WAIT!
R5/R6 - Wow! but let's wait...

If anything, wait a month after not just full reviews are out, but actually customers got to use it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The 1DX III is 2/3 stop better than the R in unprocessed RAW data.

We don't know what metrics Canon used when they calculated that 1-stop improvement, they may or may not be giving the same results as PTP's methods. Also we don't know if the R5 sensor has the same DR performance as the R6/1DXIII.
But even +2/3 stops of DR will be great.

Upvote 0