Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Single shot focus and recompose. In continues shooting mode, Zone AF, no more than 2-3 shots at a time over 1-2 hours period, number of frames goes up somewhat. Ummm.. Av or Tv mode. No chimping...
:oops: wow. Over what time period in single shot? Back display on or off for displaying settings? Could the chimping really make so much difference? Considering having my 5D4 checked, too bad it's out of warranty already. I carry 6 charged batteries around with me, seems that is many more than other people use.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
:oops: wow. Over what time period in single shot? Back display on or off for displaying settings? Could the chimping really make so much difference? Considering having my 5D4 checked, too bad it's out of warranty already. I carry 6 charged batteries around with me, seems that is many more than other people use.
I once sent back a battery burner within warranty period. It of course came back as “within specs”.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
DPReview said Canon told them to expect a 1-stop increase in DR against the R. This was repeated in the launch broadcast from B&H.
Photons to Photons says the 1Dx III has between a half and one stop more DR than the EOS R at base ISO. It seems the R6 uses essentially the same sensor as the 1Dx III, and it seems reasonably likely to me the R5 and R6 use the same generation of sensor technology (given they have been released at the same time, and the cameras share things like a common max FPS, albeit at much lower resolution for the R6). I reckon that all points to the R5, R6 and 1Dx III having similar DR, and "about 1 stop" better than the EOS R at base ISO being about right.

Photons to Photons

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
It's neither arrogance or immaturity, it's frustration.

They're not obligated to build the perfect camera but if they want to continue to sell cameras in a shrinking market with sharper competition then they need to address the specific requirements of discerning users.

I'm still using a 1DX and 1DS3 because Canon have failed to produce anything compelling enough for me to buy in the past nine years. Looks like that will continue for another generation.

If Canon or anyone else wants our money they have to damn well earn it. That's not entitlement, that's the market.
So, do you get mad at the hammer when you miss the nail and hit your thumb? Seriously, these are tools with strengths, weaknesses, and limitations. Some of us feel Canon has delivered a "compelling" reason to buy their new gear. We may be right, we may be wrong, but you clearly do not have an understanding or appreciation of what they have delivered. The R5/R6 should clearly match and in some cases exceed the capabilities of the Nikon & Sony offering. Every part, software feature and capability cost money to design, develop, manufacture, market and support whether or not is required by all users. If yo duo not believe it is compelling, then you are basically saying nothing in the current (and next) generation is worth you money. If that is the case, enjoy your current gear or get a new hobby/profession. I know a little bit about technology, sensor production - all of the current offerings are pushing up against limits in both physics, material science and technology that will require significant R&D to provide a truly significant breakthrough. If you can't capture meaningful images with your current gear and the new offerings, maybe the problem is not the gear.

The good news is that that we each get to vote with our dollars.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Photons to Photons says the 1Dx III has between a half and one stop more DR than the EOS R at base ISO.

0.65 stops exactly at ISO 100

I reckon that all points to the R5 and R6 having similar DR to the 1Dx III, and "about 1 stop" better than the EOS R at base ISO being about right.

Yes it's likely to happen, but there's a number of unknowns:

- Canon told us there would be 1-stop improvement against R/5DIV which will be a bit more than 1DXIII
- R5 is 45mp, R6 is 20mp, probably the sensor is based on the similar tech but still it's a different sensor, likely developed after the 1DXIII one.
- We don't know if Canon uses the same or similar method of measuring the DR as PTP does.

So I'm very curious to see what PTP shows on R5.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]Yes it's likely to happen, but there's a number of unknowns:

- Canon told us there would be 1-stop improvement against R/5DIV which will be a bit more than 1DXIII
[..]

I've watched way too many interviews with Rudy about the new cameras by now, but he is very consistent in saying that it's an 'effective 1 stop' improvement. That, to me, leaves a lot of room for interpretation. I think it's the 0.65 stop you mentioned, plus another 0.35 or so JPEG/HEIF noise reduction improvements in the Digic X.
I'd love to be proven wrong :)

Upvote 0
I've watched way too many interviews with Rudy about the new cameras by now, but he is very consistent in saying that it's an 'effective 1 stop' improvement. That, to me, leaves a lot of room for interpretation. I think it's the 0.65 stop you mentioned, plus another 0.35 or so JPEG/HEIF noise reduction improvements in the Digic X.
I'd love to be proven wrong :)

All these measurements are done on raw files and before noise reduction.
So my best guess is, the R5 will be a bit better than the R6/1DXIII, but I may be wrong because of caveats in my message above.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Seems like an ideal camera for a lot of people. The only reasons you'd want to pay the premium for the R5 is for 8k, 4k120p, or for more megapixels.
Apart from the cost savings on the top LCD, EVF and rear screen, the Canon Log 3 with the extra dynamic range will be very welcome for video shooters for the R5, no such things promised for the R6.
The R6 is more aimed at users who aren't looking more seriously at the Cinema line, and just want a good camera for photo and video, and it will probably succeed at that.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Apart from the cost savings on the top LCD, EVF and rear screen, the Canon Log 3 with the extra dynamic range will be very welcome for video shooters for the R5, no such things promised for the R6.

Pretty crazy that the R6 has C-Log at all. Remember when just a couple years ago the best you could get below the 1D level was a paid upgrade to the 5D4!

Upvote 0
A few pages back people were comparing mirrorless to DSLR. I owned both the 6dmkii and the eos r.

The EoS R is streets ahead in everything barr battery life and that 6dmkii had a built in GPS. Image quality and autofocus are in a different league.

If the r5 is as much an upgrade over the 5div/eos r as the eos r was over the 6dmkii, itll be the camera to beat. Even tho it's not the king in terms of absolute mp (hat tip to Sony there), it brings a lot of features together in a way I dont think has been done before by any brand, and certainly not by canon.

I mean, 45mp stills at 20fps with full frame AF tracking??? Why is no one making a bigger deal out of this?

Everyone is just stuck on the 8k recording limit. Newsflash - you dont want to handle that much data. When 5mins recording will give you 150gb+ of footage you'll learn to spare the record button fairly fast.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
over 1-4 hours. depending on the gig. back display settings: off, display image: 3 sec ( default settings..)

I put around 150K shots through pair of my 5D4s in last 2.5 years. always have a pair of spare batteries on me - just in case. I rarely need a change. I typically. swap batteries between bodies as 24-70 lens gets more use at events and 70-20 gets more use at festivals, etc. walking away with 2000-2500 shots on a pair of charged batteries is just normal.. BT, Wifi, GPS is off. no liveView. writing to both cards

Upvote 0
The AF system is the entire reason I am switching to mirrorless. A DSLR cannot compete with DPAF, period. And I'm getting tired of shots getting ruined because of an inferior AF system.
I agree. Having the AF directly on the sensor improves things significantly. My 5DIV was never as accurate as my EOS R is now... and that's after it was cleaned and calibrated by Canon service a couple of times..

Upvote 0
A few pages back people were comparing mirrorless to DSLR. I owned both the 6dmkii and the eos r.

The EoS R is streets ahead in everything barr battery life and that 6dmkii had a built in GPS. Image quality and autofocus are in a different league.

If the r5 is as much an upgrade over the 5div/eos r as the eos r was over the 6dmkii, itll be the camera to beat. Even tho it's not the king in terms of absolute mp (hat tip to Sony there), it brings a lot of features together in a way I dont think has been done before by any brand, and certainly not by canon.

I mean, 45mp stills at 20fps with full frame AF tracking??? Why is no one making a bigger deal out of this?

Everyone is just stuck on the 8k recording limit. Newsflash - you dont want to handle that much data. When 5mins recording will give you 150gb+ of footage you'll learn to spare the record button fairly fast.
I'd agree with all of this having both the 6D MKII & the R which I hope to replace with the R5. Video doesn't really bother me; only ever use it for the odd clip on holiday for which i can use my phone anyway.

If the R6 had been 30 MP I'd go for that but I wonder if Canon have purposely made it 20 MP so that it doesn't take potential sales from the R5?

Upvote 0
Still image quality from the R6 would of been better if Chris had actually nailed his focus. A lot of the shots of Jordan and the train especially are not sharp.
Yeah, but that´s user error, not a camera fault! :D They did show some pics that are perfect in sharpness and color. Of course it´s quite difficult to evaluate picture quality from pics in a video on youtube, but we do have an idea how great still image can be from the EOS R6. And it looks quite promising! ;)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'd agree with all of this having both the 6D MKII & the R which I hope to replace with the R5. Video doesn't really bother me; only ever use it for the odd clip on holiday for which i can use my phone anyway.[..]

For most of the things I take videos of (my kids), the phone currently does a better job :) The M6II is a huge improvement, but the lack of stabilization in the decent EF-M lenses still gives the phone an edge.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yeah, but that´s user error, not a camera fault! :D They did show some pics that are perfect in sharpness and color. Of course it´s quite difficult to evaluate picture quality from pics in a video on youtube, but we do have an idea how great still image can be from the EOS R6. And it looks quite promising! ;)

DPReview has a sample gallery of the video, with RAWs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

I think there will be a lot of stills (nature and sport) photographers that will be very interested in the 45mp at 20fps. I'm impressed with the 12 fps with the mechanical shutter as I already know that will likely not have any issues and is a significant increase from any 5 series body in the past. That is enough for me to buy this camera considering the buffer seems to be pretty reasonable as well. The 20 fps will be an extra bonus depending on the speed at which the data can be taken from the sensor. I'm not expecting this camera to match the Sony A9 since I don't think this is the same type of sensor, but if it can capture birds in flight without warping wings too much this could be very cool.

I think many of us are waiting for some reviews from independent reviewers (note the plural) before either getting too excited or bashing the camera. With this camera supposed to be shipping in less that 2 weeks, I'm surprised that there aren't any reviews as everyone still seems to have beta firmware. That tells me there are things Canon is still updating and likely means we will have a firmware update almost as soon as the camera gets into peoples hands.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0