Review: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM by TDP

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
IMO a lens being easy to carry is meaningless if I don't like the way it renders photos.

Well, that may be true for your shooting preferences, but it isn't for others. And to be clear, there's nothing wrong with how this lens "renders photos", you just might have to make compromises in settings to get the IQ you want, such as shooting at f/4 instead of f/2.8, which may bump up the ISO and definitely changes the background blur, etc. But a lot of field photographers are stopping down to f/8 anyway, at which point there is very little if any IQ difference, but they still have the size, weight, and cost benefits with the f/1.8 lens. If none of those things matter or represent your needs, then there's no reason for you to get this lens; get the incomparable f/1.2 instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I can't get my head around people dissing this lens. Some of the greatest photos ever taken were taken with 50mm lenses with way worse characteristics than this modest little lens from Canon.

Imagine if HCB had taken the attitude so many here have 'I'd rather not have it than compromise my images'. It is a great lens for the price and opens all kinds of possibilities for people wanting to actually take photos. Here is an example of a shot taken with a technically much more modest 50mm lens on a 'ff' camera.

1609794036853.png

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I can't get my head around people dissing this lens. Some of the greatest photos ever taken were taken with 50mm lenses with way worse characteristics than this modest little lens from Canon.

Imagine if HCB had taken the attitude so many here have 'I'd rather not have it than compromise my images'. It is a great lens for the price and opens all kinds of possibilities for people wanting to actually take photos. Here is an example of a shot taken with a technically much more modest 50mm lens on a 'ff' camera.

View attachment 194986
Well, I doubt this HCB bloke will go far - the subject seems to be out of focus, and the corners are not "tack sharp" ( a must for any good photo), and I don't know what mega-pix he's using, but this is going to look so grainy when blown up to 30' x 20' that he may as well not bother!

What he needs to do is get newer gear, and then pick his moment better.

;);)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't buy the HCB argument either. Why bother with this lens at all then? Shoot film manually just like he did. You can probably grab an old film camera + 50mm lens for half the price of this lens.
I was thinking more wet plate glass 8” x 10” and magnesium powder flash... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
Not all of the criticisms of the new 50 regard IQ. I was wanting something closer to the RF 35; like a real control ring, IS, and closer focusing. I consider it overpriced compared to the EF which offers nearly the same performance at almost half the price. I consider the RF 35 at over twice the price a better value given it's additional features.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Here is an example of a shot taken with a technically much more modest 50mm lens on a 'ff' camera.

View attachment 194986
Yes and it looks like it was ! :)

We could have a very interesting debit around how the images of John Szarkowski's 1964 book 'The Photographer's Eye" stand up when viewed outside of their historical significance, although the one you have chosen is timeless of course.

But you are quite right, some people will make magical images with this RF50/1.8 that put many of us with more expensive lenses to shame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Sure any small 50mm lens in the hands of a good photographer can makes images like the HCB posted.
But that's not the point. A shitty fifty presents IQ compromises if you wish to make sharp formal portraits at f/1.8 - 2, especially with the subject off centre. So it can limit the sort of photography you can do. For some people the limitation is not a big deal. For others it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0