Review: EOS M System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieces Of E

Canon owners and operators
Dec 10, 2011
www.piecesofeonline.com
Yeah, awesome. 3 important points here:

"I typically post them in conjunction with a comment on either functionality or a lens combination not really addressed in the review. The pictures are typically processed because I am just posting links to pictures that I have shared on Flickr that reflect my view/brand in the marketplace (one that has served me well, I might add). " So you're just using the forum to showcase your work.

"This particular review has had very little discussion" I wonder why?

"interest in the camera when it went on the firesale has diminished for the present." Ya think? It's only been out for 16 months.

How's the autofocus in video mode on moving objects, like an animal moving across the plane of vision?

Upvote 0
Pieces Of E said:
Yeah, awesome. 3 important points here:

"I typically post them in conjunction with a comment on either functionality or a lens combination not really addressed in the review. The pictures are typically processed because I am just posting links to pictures that I have shared on Flickr that reflect my view/brand in the marketplace (one that has served me well, I might add). " So you're just using the forum to showcase your work.

"This particular review has had very little discussion" I wonder why?

"interest in the camera when it went on the firesale has diminished for the present." Ya think? It's only been out for 16 months.

How's the autofocus in video mode on moving objects, like an animal moving across the plane of vision?

With all due respect, if your intent is to insult, you have succeeded. That's your right...as is mine to post whatever the moderators deem fit. This is an open forum.

"interest in the camera when it went on the firesale has diminished for the present." Ya think? It's only been out for 16 months. My comment regarding the firesale has nothing to do with how long the camera has been out. Rather the opposite. There was a groundswell of interest around here going back about 3-4 months ago when the discounted price began. I wrote this review during that time period because there was a renewed interest in the platform and people were asking questions.

How's the autofocus in video mode on moving objects, like an animal moving across the plane of vision? I see that you own the camera yourself. Why don't you answer that question and let me criticize your response for a change? ;D

Upvote 0
Skywise said:
Everything I've read nearly points to this being a replacement for the 650D. (Minus the obvious physical differences and the fact that I can't use EF-S lenses directly)

As a hobbyist/traveller this intrigues me - Is the only real difference I'd be losing is that the EF-M's 11-22 mignt not be as good as the EF-S's 10-22?

I have read nothing but good about the 11-22 so far, but I don't know that I have seen a direct comparison of the two lenses. I just checked if Bryan over at the TDP had added the 11-22 to his chart testing, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The trend with the newer STM lenses is that they are all sharper than the lenses that they are replacing, but, of course, the 11-22 isn't a direct replacement of the 10-22mm.

I personally doubt that you would lose anything (other than a mm of focal length, which could be an issue), and would gain the IS of the 11-22. I would love to see the two lenses compared head to head. I used the 10-22 when I shot crop and found it a very good lens.

Upvote 0
@Dustin: I have read your review with great interest and although I haven't yet decided on purchasing an M or not, seeing your actual pictures is really useful as part of a review to see some real world results and yes, I do like the look of those images. This is more important to me to make a purchasing decision then technical discussions of aspects I couldn't care less about.

Your pictures on this forum have had more than a passing effect on what I do, as for example your 135mm f2 images have influenced me not only to purchase that particular lens, but also how I use the lens. Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
AmbientLight said:
@Dustin: I have read your review with great interest and although I haven't yet decided on purchasing an M or not, seeing your actual pictures is really useful as part of a review to see some real world results and yes, I do like the look of those images. This is more important to me to make a purchasing decision then technical discussions of aspects I couldn't care less about.

Your pictures on this forum have had more than a passing effect on what I do, as for example your 135mm f2 images have influenced me not only to purchase that particular lens, but also how I use the lens. Thanks a lot!

Glad to have been of help. The M is good purchase for one of two applications, IMO. 1) If you want a light walkaround camera that offers good image quality. 2) As a backup body that your existing lenses will work on with the little adapter. There are arguably better options for #1, but for the combination of #1 and #2 there few competitors.

If you are on the fence, I would advise you to wait and see if Canon makes any announcements that show ongoing support for the platform.

Upvote 0
Well written and very fair!

I agree with your point about the updated FW AF - had it been the original FW, few complaints would have been heard about it. Is it currently class leading? No. Is it more than capable for most applications? Yup!

I haven't seen one yet (not saying it doesn't exist though) but I think it would be nice if someone reviewed the M from the perspective of a P&S upgrader - especially at the current prices. I find myself recommending it frequently for those folks.

Upvote 0
Here is one for you with M + 18-55 IS STM - Transfagarasan, Romania:
1378228829_transfagaras1.jpg

It's great in terms of sharpness, I have made some contrast adjustments, but the clouds and everything else are real.

Extreme metal festival with M + 22mm? No problem - Alan Averill(Primordial):
1378232158_IMG_1084_.jpg

Upvote 0
noncho said:

It's great in terms of sharpness, I have made some contrast adjustments, but the clouds and everything else are real.

Extreme metal festival with M + 22mm? No problem - Alan Averill(Primordial):
1378232158_IMG_1084_.jpg

That was a really nice moment with the clouds hanging in there. I have done many shots at Swiss mountain passes, but didn't have any luck with a low hanging cloud cover like that. Instead I have often seen clouds hanging way below these high mountain passes. How high is that pass in Romania?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
noncho said:

Nice shot. What an awesome road for a quick ride!

@Justin Please ignore the snarky comments. Your photos are always interesting and frequently beautiful. They certainly are appropriate and welcome!

Upvote 0
noncho said:

That is a beautiful image. Lots of detail there. The 18-55 is a nice backup to take in the field. I take it along when I am just carrying the Rokinon 14mm on a FF body, as it gives me some different framing options. Nice work!

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
@Justin Please ignore the snarky comments. Your photos are always interesting and frequently beautiful. They certainly are appropriate and welcome!

Thanks, Brad. A certain amount of the "snarkiness" comes with the territory. That is one of the hazards of putting yourself out there. It all helps keep you humble ;)

Upvote 0

Pieces Of E

Canon owners and operators
Dec 10, 2011
www.piecesofeonline.com
Sorry if I snarkily insulted you Dustin, I do hope you'll forgive me. I gues it was un-professional of me to insult a fellow New Yorker. I bought my M full original price to shoot video only. My 7D is just fine shooting stills and I'm strong enough to lug it around all day long. The piece of crap M sits on a shelf, lifeless, what a waste of money. The pathetic AF is horrible unless you're shooting a still or slow moving object of considerable size. I even popped my $2500 70-200 white monster on it and it couldn't find the object I pointed it at. My business partner is curious to see how it works with LensBaby lenses. Good luck there.
Keep up the great work man and don't take me seriously, I tend to be critical at times, my bad. Sorry again.

Upvote 0
Wow, I love my little piece of crap M. I guess it helps that I only paid $299 for it with the 22mm. It is what it is and I like it for that... a tinny camera with a large sensor that I can carry with me and get great shots. Sure it focuses slow and the touch screen drives me nuts but I still love it. It is a fun little camera. Here is one shot I took just after sunset at the beach the first week I had the camera.

Eforums-51787114-6791caacd928465c941c6ae6d910b131_zps9616fb9e.jpeg

Upvote 0
Pieces Of E said:
Sorry if I snarkily insulted you Dustin, I do hope you'll forgive me. I gues it was un-professional of me to insult a fellow New Yorker. I bought my M full original price to shoot video only. My 7D is just fine shooting stills and I'm strong enough to lug it around all day long. The piece of crap M sits on a shelf, lifeless, what a waste of money. The pathetic AF is horrible unless you're shooting a still or slow moving object of considerable size. I even popped my $2500 70-200 white monster on it and it couldn't find the object I pointed it at. My business partner is curious to see how it works with LensBaby lenses. Good luck there.
Keep up the great work man and don't take me seriously, I tend to be critical at times, my bad. Sorry again.

No problem. I like the M for what it is, but it doesn't shock me that there are those that don't particularly like it either. My feeling on the camera would probably be different if I had paid full price for it, too, particularly before the firmware update that definitely helped improve AF. I'm sure the jab about self promotion has some validity, but then again, writing reviews and trying to do commercially viable photography isn't much good if no one ever sees or reads it. But thanks to you the EOS M review was the top viewed review on my website for the day ;)

Upvote 0
djrocks66 said:
Wow, I love my little piece of crap M. I guess it helps that I only paid $299 for it with the 22mm. It is what it is and I like it for that... a tinny camera with a large sensor that I can carry with me and get great shots. Sure it focuses slow and the touch screen drives me nuts but I still love it. It is a fun little camera. Here is one shot I took just after sunset at the beach the first week I had the camera.

Eforums-51787114-6791caacd928465c941c6ae6d910b131_zps9616fb9e.jpeg

Pretty shot. Nicely captured. In good light the M produces excellent images. In mediocre light it does OK. In poor light, well, let's just say it isn't full frame!

Upvote 0
Dustin, thanks much for the thorough review of the EOS M!

I have read just about every M review out there, as well as a lot of forum comments (I tend to get obsessed when considering a significant purchase) and yours was one of the most complete reviews I have seen.

Your photos are beautiful. It was great to see what can be achieved with either the 22 or 18-55 lenses by an accomplished photographer.

At present my sole camera is an S95 which I love but I wanted to complement it with a larger sensor and interchangeable lens camera. I really struggled with whether to go with a comparable DSLR (T3i or 4i) for increased ergonomics and versatility or the M for sake of the portability that I have grown accustomed to with the S95.

I ordered the M and both lenses just this morning and seeing your review this evening made me look forward to trying out the camera even more.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.