Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens

Dec 13, 2010
hammar said:
Yes, but I haven't read a single account of people NOT having issues with this lens. The best I have found is people of "only" had to adjust the focus in FoCal and after that it was "ok".

So you didn't read my comment on the bottom of last page then?

Afma adjustment is needed in 98% cases. Only lens I left at "0" was the 50 L, what does that tell you? Nothing ..

My 300 f2.8 L IS had to be shipped to canon for adjustment when it was one month since it was made at the factory, because even at +20 it missed by two hundred feet, what does that tell you? Nothing. Things have to be calibrated, no matter what you buy.

I'm sitting here editing shots from the 50 Art and it's absolutely faaaantastic! Love it!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Love the sharpness up close with the 50 Art. If I had done this shot with the 50 L you couldn't tell where I had focused and the cat would pretty much be purple, lol.

cat.jpg

Upvote 0
hammar said:
Yes, but I haven't read a single account of people NOT having issues with this lens. The best I have found is people of "only" had to adjust the focus in FoCal and after that it was "ok".

I used the sigma dock to adjust mine
anyway buy the lens or don't but my suggestion to take the internet less seriously still stands
It doesn't bother me if you don't buy the best value for money 50mm lens ever made by anyone
I don't have stock in sigma either :p

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
wickidwombat said:
hammar said:

I don't have stock in sigma either :p

Perhaps we should buy in? I mean, it will only increase.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Personally I cannot wait to purchase mine. I will when there is no backlog...no hurry.
Gee.. I have 30 days to return it at B&H for full refund. I am sure it will be a great lens tho.
One thing you can bet. I am not going to over measurebate it and spend the rest of my life here complaining about it...I will be out creating images!!!!! ;D ;) :) :eek: 8)
...but hey...I loved my original Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Had a GREAT copy...just sold it for $500! LOL...$100 more than I paid for it.as they have been backorder for a while and I had a colleague who loved the lens and wanted my copy!!!!..Hated to see it go...but I cannot justify owning that and the new one....WHAH!!!!!

I would also like to read Justin's review before purchase, as I know that that should be coming soon!

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
infared said:
Personally I cannot wait to purchase mine. I will when there is no backlog...no hurry.
Gee.. I have 30 days to return it at B&H for full refund. I am sure it will be a great lens tho.
One thing you can bet. I am not going to over measurebate it and spend the rest of my life here complaining about it...I will be out creating images!!!!! ;D ;) :) :eek: 8)
...but hey...I loved my original Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Had a GREAT copy...just sold it for $500! LOL...$100 more than I paid for it.as they have been backorder for a while and I had a colleague who loved the lens and wanted my copy!!!!..Hated to see it go...but I cannot justify owning that and the new one....WHAH!!!!!

I would also like to read Justin's review before purchase, as I know that that should be coming soon!

Oh, then you're gonna love this: Popular Photography apparently did a test on the new lens and concluded it was not as good as the last 50mm f/1.4. I nearly coughed up breakfast when I read about that!

Upvote 0
hammar said:
What? Their review says nothing about the old one being better.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/04/lens-test-sigma-50mm-f14-dg-hsm-art-lens

Why, it says:
In terms of our SQF test, the new Sigma beat out the 50mm f/1.4 offerings from Canon, Nikon, Sony and the Sony Zeiss. However the original Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX lens and the monstrous Zeiss 55mm Otus lens did edge it out, ever so slightly. Oddly enough, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX still holds the title of being our benchmark for 50mm f/1.4’s in this test.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
Viggo said:
Love the sharpness up close with the 50 Art. If I had done this shot with the 50 L you couldn't tell where I had focused and the cat would pretty much be purple, lol.

What's causing the halo effect around the ears of the kitty?

Probably the ear fuzz.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
raptor3x said:
YuengLinger said:
Viggo said:

What's causing the halo effect around the ears of the kitty?

Probably the ear fuzz.

I don't know, didn't even notice lol. Could be a side effect from a bit of CA removal?

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
scottburgess said:
infared said:

Oh, then you're gonna love this: Popular Photography apparently did a test on the new lens and concluded it was not as good as the last 50mm f/1.4. I nearly coughed up breakfast when I read about that!

LOL! Scott ...THAT is pretty funny! The old Sigma 50mm "Edged it out"???? (In what parameter?? Size? Price?) Guess they got a lot of hits on their site?
What is even funnier is that Pop Photography included the old Sigma DG f/1.4 in the same sentence with the prized and worshiped (hear angels sing), Otus. quite amusing.
The old one is a cool "little" lens compared to these newer, pricier entries....apparently Sigma is going to keep producing it...the lens has gone up in price and the Canon version is quite scare lately....

Upvote 0