Review: Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO Sonnar T*

ahsanford said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
infared said:
:eek:. I think you have convinced me that I must own this lens!

can0nfan2379 said:
infared said:
:eek:. I think you have convinced me that I must own this lens!

+1 -- Double :eek:

Two that must have the best. I guess the review was for you :)
Well, if they must have the best, they ought to pitch their autofocusing 70-200 F/2.8 IS II lenses as well:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/04/first-look-zeiss-cz-2-70-200mm-t2-9

Dustin, perhaps this is your next review? ;D

- A

The director of Zeiss for the Americas specifically mentioned the Otus 85 next along with a "few other lenses available after Photokina" in an email to me. This is likely one of them.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ahsanford said:
Well, if they must have the best, they ought to pitch their autofocusing 70-200 F/2.8 IS II lenses as well:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/04/first-look-zeiss-cz-2-70-200mm-t2-9

Dustin, perhaps this is your next review? ;D

- A

The director of Zeiss for the Americas specifically mentioned the Otus 85 next along with a "few other lenses available after Photokina" in an email to me. This is likely one of them.
It used to be that video people had to suffer through using our still lenses. Oh, how things have changed...

- A

Upvote 0
:eek: :eek: Zeiss Otus 85 = DROOL WORTHY

Dholai said:
." I think you have convinced me that I must own this lens!"

So darn true

This review compelled me to order one overnight and I tried it briefly yesterday. I hate MF lenses with my bad eyesight but this will definitely be a keeper.

PS: I am not going to read any more reviews of Zeiss glasses.

Bad timing. Zeiss just contacted me to see if I would be interested in reviewing the upcoming Otus 85mm f/1.4. I'm sure it will be a piece of junk ;)

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Dholai said:

So darn true

This review compelled me to order one overnight and I tried it briefly yesterday. I hate MF lenses with my bad eyesight but this will definitely be a keeper.

Ok..so I am selling my Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 to finance the Zeiss 135mm. Since I bought it (Incredible lens!), I have acquired a 17mm TSE II and the new 16 -35mm f/4L IS. (Sold my 16-35f/2.8L to finance the new IS ...no regrets there!)....so I am not using the Zeiss 21mm...almost never...so, painfully I will let it go...
Now ...if I buy the Zeiss 135mm from Hong Kong I can get it for $1845 .00 shipped...so it will not cost me much cash outlay...sounds like a plan. ::) ;D ::)

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Dholai said:

So darn true

Bad timing. Zeiss just contacted me to see if I would be interested in reviewing the upcoming Otus 85mm f/1.4. I'm sure it will be a piece of junk ;)

So I am ordering the current Zeiss 135mm (BECAUSE OF YOUR REVIEW!!!DAMN IT! LOL!). I can get it from Hong Kong for $1849 new...shipped.
The Otus 85mm can't be much better (although the 2 lenses are not an exact comparison.)How do you get any better than perfect, unless you add autofocus....Plus The Otus will cost $5000!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review Dustin. I had the 135L/2 and I was very happy with it. But unfortunately I dropped it and it was beyond repair (well actually CPS estimated the repair cost to equal a new lens). My plan was to buy a new L, but I decided to try the Zeiss and was blown away by the IQ. Everything you state in your review confirms my own findings.

A new 135/2L is about $1.800 here in Norway and I found a 3 month old, flawless and practically unused Zeiss copy for $1.850, so I got that instead. No regrets.

I have 4 Zeiss lenses at the moment. 15/2.8, 21/2.8, 55/1.4 and 135/2. I also have lots of L-glass, but my experience is that I am using the Zeiss glass more and more.

Yes, they are manual focus, but with some practice I find that I can nail focus very well with them and my keeper rates are high. This may have to do with the fact that I live in Norway and our summers are very bright. When winter comes and the days are getting shorter, the situation may change.

Looking forward to your Sigma 50 Art review. I am curious to see how you find the AF performance (I know you´ll like the optical performance). I am about to sell my 35 and 50 Art due to AF inconsistency.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Thanks for the review Dustin. I had the 135L/2 and I was very happy with it. But unfortunately I dropped it and it was beyond repair (well actually CPS estimated the repair cost to equal a new lens). My plan was to buy a new L, but I decided to try the Zeiss and was blown away by the IQ. Everything you state in your review confirms my own findings.

A new 135/2L is about $1.800 here in Norway and I found a 3 month old, flawless and practically unused Zeiss copy for $1.850, so I got that instead. No regrets.

I have 4 Zeiss lenses at the moment. 15/2.8, 21/2.8, 55/1.4 and 135/2. I also have lots of L-glass, but my experience is that I am using the Zeiss glass more and more.

Yes, they are manual focus, but with some practice I find that I can nail focus very well with them and my keeper rates are high. This may have to do with the fact that I live in Norway and our summers are very bright. When winter comes and the days are getting shorter, the situation may change.

Looking forward to your Sigma 50 Art review. I am curious to see how you find the AF performance (I know you´ll like the optical performance). I am about to sell my 35 and 50 Art due to AF inconsistency.

Thank you for both the compliment and the great owner/user feedback. It looks like I may have the Otus 55 in hand for review from Zeiss next week, and the Otus 85 sometimes shortly thereafter. I look forward to spending more time with Zeiss glass. I agree that using manual focus lenses becomes easier with practice, and I personally feel that whether or not people enjoy them will depend a lot on their shooting style. Those that are more deliberate will probably have an easier time.

That is a great collection of fine glass you have!

Upvote 0