Review: Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 Apo Planar T*

NancyP said:
I don't expect to see one anytime soon. I expect that I will get the Sigma Art 50, which is very sharp wide open, as I don't need the extra 5% of Zeiss goodness. I am contemplating the Zeiss ApoSonnar 135, which is both sharp and bokehlicious. But really, lens pron is fun but not what I need to be thinking about from a photographic learning standpoint. Gear is good enough, by and large. Yes, if you have a 6D, the S screen is a HUGE help in focusing manual lenses - I have some old soldiers from the 1960s that I am using (with adapters) for interim, until I fill in a few holes in my EF range of lenses (I have EF-S lenses). I need to learn external lighting (Speedliteing), and need eventually to add another speedlite and stand/clamps and decent-sized reflector and grids and a softbox and radio triggers to my basic 580EXII, correction gels, StoFen dome, Rogue Flashbender reflector/flag/add-on diffuser panel, and one nano stand.

I agree that the Sigma is probably an easier choice for many photographers, but believe me when I say that in terms of absolutely image quality it is (while better than other options) not in the same league as the Otus. The only lens that comes close to the Otus performance is the Sonnar 135.

I would say it is more than an extra 5%, but also agree that it may be more than many photographers need. Still, it is stunningly good and has (unfortunately) required me to take a step back and recalibrate my mental expectations before reviewing other lenses.

Upvote 0
infared said:
Great review...wish I hadn't read/watched...LOL!
I am sticking with my 85mm f/1.2L II.
Dustin...please do not do a comparison...just leave me in ever lasting ignorance!
That way I can still love the lens that I own.

That is pretty much the way I felt about my beloved 135L after doing the Sonnar T 135 review.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
infared said:
Great review...wish I hadn't read/watched...LOL!
I am sticking with my 85mm f/1.2L II.
Dustin...please do not do a comparison...just leave me in ever lasting ignorance!
That way I can still love the lens that I own.

That is pretty much the way I felt about my beloved 135L after doing the Sonnar T 135 review.

Yes..Yes...I remember reading it! At least you could say that the 135L was less than half the price and has super fast AF....
My 85L II may be less than half the price..but the AF is turtle-like..at best!!!!! LOL! (I do still REALLY love that lens...it;s unique).

Upvote 0