RF 100-500 availability/delivery

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I got one about 3 wks ago but tried every well known big camera store all over the country and none had one available and then by off chance I tried a specialty camera store in Berkeley, CA that I've bought some equip from and they had 1 in stock (and 1 RF 1.4 TC) and I was able to get them both. Your best bet may be to try the non chain camera stores.
Catherine

Upvote 0
A friend of mine got his lens 7 days after ordering.
Perhaps a tip on this. I have been told that if Canon receives an order with a customer's name, it will process such an order faster. Of course, I can't prove whether that's true, but I ordered my R5 a week after it went on sale and received it 3 weeks later. Others who ordered well before me waited a long time for the R5. It was the same with the 100-500 lens. Ordered by the end customer by name, the lens was there after 7 days, others who ordered earlier are still waiting.

Upvote 0
Anybody get one of these lately? Mines been back ordered at B and H for a good month ir so.

Just wondering if anyone else is in same boat.
I'll be getting a my RF 100-500 on Wednesday of this week according to FedEx shipping updates. I've Been watching Canon Direct periodically and almost everyday since the middle of April for an "instock" moniker to replace the ever present "backordered". When I checked on Wednesday, May 12, I couldn't believe that it showed up as "instock" so I pulled the trigger, and made the payment still wondering if it was just a glitch in the website. The Canon site is a little problematic and doesn't always come up accurately, so I called and they confirmed the order saying they had 16 units and all were allocated. Had to ask if one was allocated to me or all to others, they said it would be shipped by Friday and I did get the FedEx validation email. That was all luck and persistence. It seems like Canon Direct is getting a periodic monthly allocation and is keeping them for direct sales until they produce enough for their distribution channels. I've been waiting for a B&H in stock notification for months too!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'll be getting a my RF 100-500 on Wednesday of this week according to FedEx shipping updates. I've Been watching Canon Direct periodically and almost everyday since the middle of April for an "instock" moniker to replace the ever present "backordered". When I checked on Wednesday, May 12, I couldn't believe that it showed up as "instock" so I pulled the trigger, and made the payment still wondering if it was just a glitch in the website. The Canon site is a little problematic and doesn't always come up accurately, so I called and they confirmed the order saying they had 16 units and all were allocated. Had to ask if one was allocated to me or all to others, they said it would be shipped by Friday and I did get the FedEx validation email. That was all luck and persistence. It seems like Canon Direct is getting a periodic monthly allocation and is keeping them for direct sales until they produce enough for their distribution channels. I've been waiting for a B&H in stock notification for months too!
That's pretty much how I managed to get an R5 last year, checking canon.nl for stock beofre breakfast each day. When I called to confirm the Canon employee was extremely surprised that I snagged an R5, he was convinced it was a glitch :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
A friend of mine got his lens 7 days after ordering.
Perhaps a tip on this. I have been told that if Canon receives an order with a customer's name, it will process such an order faster. Of course, I can't prove whether that's true, but I ordered my R5 a week after it went on sale and received it 3 weeks later. Others who ordered well before me waited a long time for the R5. It was the same with the 100-500 lens. Ordered by the end customer by name, the lens was there after 7 days, others who ordered earlier are still waiting.

How can one order something without providing one's name?

Upvote 0
But that's exactly what my dealer told me: he can either order directly from Canon for a customer by name, then it should go faster, or he can order for his stock. I have now experienced it, received an R5 ordered in August within 3-4 weeks and the 100-500 arrived within days, that was at the beginning of February.

Upvote 0
That's pretty much how I managed to get an R5 last year, checking canon.nl for stock beofre breakfast each day. When I called to confirm the Canon employee was extremely surprised that I snagged an R5, he was convinced it was a glitch :)
Makes sense, if canon can sell direct at retail why sell to dealers at wholesale.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Makes sense, if canon can sell direct at retail why sell to dealers at wholesale.

Just got mine directly from Canon. Frankly, would have much rather gotten it through one of our favorite retailers but took the plunge when they got stock.

Don't know the internal details and plans but Canon needs to keep both their trusted retailers happy and keep us, as consumers, happy. Is there an internal formula that determines how much of each batch goes to which entity? And, with all the supply chain issues and chip shortages, has this changed?

Upvote 0