RF 135mm 1.8 With Canon R3

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
A lot more cats-eye than I was expecting to be honest. It reminds me of the 50 1.2.
It's pretty much the same as the 135/2. Possibly a VERY tiny bit more pointy, and if so it's the only minus of the 135/1.8 over the EF.

I LOVED my 135/2 for 25 years. Most of my favorite images were that lens. And at least when I got it in '97 it was the sharpest Canon lens I had. But the RF135 is sharper wide open in the CORNERS than the EF135 is even in the CENTER.

IS+IBIS on the RF is also better than the IBIS-only on the EF, but again the EF resolution isn't great. 9 out of 10 images with the RF at 1/15 are sharper than the EF can even get under any conditions. It's scary! But at 1 second they can both still resolve 55lp/mm (albeit at low contrast) for 10 out of 10 images.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ordered the RF 135mm f/1.8 USM on November 23rd, 2022. Canon told me it would ship on Jan. 26th, 2023. Well, as of today, I haven't received anything from Canon....Not an email explaining when I might get it, not an I'm sorry we are running behind and you will get it by................NOTHING! Did anyone else order their RF135mm f/1.8 around November 23rd, 2022, and receive it? Please let me know. I will be forever grateful.

Upvote 0
Out of town on a business trip and was able to score the RF 135mm at a local shop. I took it for a spin doing some street photography, as I had my R3 with me.

Take a look: RF 135mm With Canon R3
Good afternoon eoskai. Do you mind telling me where you found your new RF 135mm f/1.8 USM lens? Do you know if they have any more available? PS - the photos you posted shooting the new RF 135mm lens are OUTSTANDING!

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I ordered the RF 135mm f/1.8 USM on November 23rd, 2022. Canon told me it would ship on Jan. 26th, 2023. Well, as of today, I haven't received anything from Canon....Not an email explaining when I might get it, not an I'm sorry we are running behind and you will get it by................NOTHING! Did anyone else order their RF135mm f/1.8 around November 23rd, 2022, and receive it? Please let me know. I will be forever grateful.
There was an announcement (if you can read Japanese) regarding a delay.

January 26th was the official release date, so that's probably why they said yours would ship then. I pre-ordered mine within 2 minutes of orders going live on November 1st, and was lucky enough to get mine shipped January 26th. I've heard others say they pre-ordered the following day (November 2nd) and have yet to receive theirs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There was an announcement (if you can read Japanese) regarding a delay.

January 26th was the official release date, so that's probably why they said yours would ship then. I pre-ordered mine within 2 minutes of orders going live on November 1st, and was lucky enough to get mine shipped January 26th. I've heard others say they pre-ordered the following day (November 2nd) and have yet to receive theirs.
danfaz: Thank you for forwarding me Canon’s response regarding their delays in shipping their new RF135 mm f/1.8 USM lens. Basically, they said they are sorry for the delays & they will try shipping the lens as soon as they can. I guess they have been feeling lthe heat from a lot of people.

From Canon's news release in Japan on February 10th, 2023 (translated: my apologies for any errors in the translation)
Apology and guidance for the supply status of products

Updated: February 10, 2023

Thank you very much for your continued patronage of Canon products.

Currently, we have received more orders than expected for each of the following products, and due to the impact of global parts supply, the delivery date has been delayed. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers and business partners.

We apologize again for making the customers who are looking forward to you have been waiting for a long time. We will continue to take measures for a stable product supply so that we can deliver products as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It's pretty much the same as the 135/2. Possibly a VERY tiny bit more pointy, and if so it's the only minus of the 135/1.8 over the EF.

I LOVED my 135/2 for 25 years. Most of my favorite images were that lens. And at least when I got it in '97 it was the sharpest Canon lens I had. But the RF135 is sharper wide open in the CORNERS than the EF135 is even in the CENTER.

IS+IBIS on the RF is also better than the IBIS-only on the EF, but again the EF resolution isn't great. 9 out of 10 images with the RF at 1/15 are sharper than the EF can even get under any conditions. It's scary! But at 1 second they can both still resolve 55lp/mm (albeit at low contrast) for 10 out of 10 images.

That's what happens when a lens primarily intended for portraiture must be optimized for flat test chart reproduction to have any hope of selling at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Out of town on a business trip and was able to score the RF 135mm at a local shop. I took it for a spin doing some street photography, as I had my R3 with me.

Good morning eoskai. Can you tell me in what store you found this RF 135mm f/1.8?

Upvote 0