Rhythm underfoot

I was doing a few photographs for a band recently. This is a somewhat tight shot of the drummer's foot, with the the fellow's shoes a bit to the left of the frame. I had to thread the needle to get this photo (got a few misses before this one--others moving into the shot and such).

The lgiht was rather dim, and I had no lighting with me. I took this at ISO 8000, f/2.8, 1/80, and 200mm.

Attachments

• 0104sx.jpg
    0104sx.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi notapro!

Really nice idea and a good eye for the detail.
Also a good idea to convert to b&w so the high ISO doesn't hurt.

If critique is allowed I'd like to add that I don't like the framing and that you could improve the pic by cropping.
It is the massive oof thing on the right. I suppose the leg/trousers of another band member.

You could crop in a little leaving that leg less prominent but push it more to the edge.
Keep the wires and that electronic box in the picture and maybe cut a little bit more from the lower leg.
In addition this would make the main subject (foot and pedal) bigger and more prominent to the viewer.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Upvote 0
Hello, Maximilian.

Glad you liiked the idea of the photo. And, yes, I agree with you that cropping the OOF leg (it was indeed the leg of another band member) would help the shot. Some of it will remain at the right edge of the frame since I won't want to lose the view of the pedal. I'll also have a look at cutting a little from the drummer's leg.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
notapro said:
I agree with you that cropping the OOF leg (it was indeed the leg of another band member) would help the shot. Some of it will remain at the right edge of the frame since I won't want to lose the view of the pedal
This sound exactly like the way I was thinking about the style of the crop. Don't cut away too much of that leg but use it as a frame/border. Maybe cut up to the point where the darker shadow begins.

I'll also have a look at cutting a little from the drummer's leg.
As I said I'd prefer to see the oof wires more than the in focus skin texture of the upper lower leg.

But of course this is just my opinion and it is your picture and your taste that counts ;)

Upvote 0