RP - Now I have one.....

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
The RP with R 24-105 arrived last night. There are reviews online but some input from run-of-the-mill users might be useful / interesting. While I have not yet done any extreme testing, I wanted to put up some first impressions:

Size - I know it is easy to get dimensions and imagine the camera but it actually seemed larger than I thought it would be. Of course, once I put it next to the 5Div, it is not large. Actually, the 24-105 is what makes it big. Obviously it is not as compact as the M line, but it is FF!

Weight - Same as above comment. Despite the weight of the lens, holding the RP feels well-balanced.

Handling - Without the grip, size is OK in my hands. I can use my DSLR in the dark being quite accustomed to the location of the controls. The RP dials seem to feel just a bit awkward to me in manual mode. Having a dial on top instead of the back is a little clumsy and the front wheel near the shutter button seems to require just a little more bending of my finger. I am betting this will also get to be more comfortable as I continue to use the camera and develop some "muscle memory."

Shutter - There is a lot online about the shutter sound. It does give a re-assuring "thunk" that is a bit more like a hollow sound than a click. To me, the shutter in the standard (not silent) mode is quieter than the 5Div shutter, but that is subjective. I cannot sense any shutter lag worth a concern. There is a slight "blackout" time (when the image is up for review) but I did not yet try to stress the FPS and the only card I had was a UHS-I. I know it will not be as speedy as the DSLR but don't think this will be an issue for me.

Menus - We will all be very comfortable with them. They are like an old friend. There are a few things on the menu I've yet too explore.

Touchscreen - Works just fine. Still trying to figure out which view I like. The histogram in the viewfinder is a nice option.

Focus - Pretty zippy. I have used to touchscreen to move the point around. I've not yet tried facial or eye recognition nor explored alternate ways to move focus points besides the defaults. I will be setting up back-button focus rather than half-shutter-depress focus because I want both of my cameras to behave the same way for me.

IQ - Probably what most of us are interested in. In fairness, all of my shots so far are indoors with existing lighting. At first I shot jpegs and then RAW. My initial feeling is that the IQ is pretty good, and that "high ISO" (up to 12000) seems fine. I have not done any DR stress-testing. What I have tried and viewed is very good. And, I was able to get some reasonable hand-held 1 second exposures so the lens IS must be OK.

Video - I'll be honest, this is not a priority. The output is better than my phone output (would hope so) and for me, that is fine.

I am very curious to hear what others think now that the first orders are arriving in our hands. Overall, this camera is not a replacement for a pro-level DSLR, but it seems awfully good and is, I think, a keeper.

(edited for spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jpaz.
Thanks for taking the time to give us your insight into the RP, very insightful.
Run of the mill? The pictures I have seen from you suggest you are more than run of the mill!

Cheers, Graham.

The RP with R 24-105 arrived last night. There are reviews online but some input from run-of-the-mill users might be useful / interesting. While I have not yet done any extreme testing, I wanted to put up some first impressions:

Size - I know it is easy to get dimensions and imagine the camera but it actually seemed larger than I thought it would be. Of course, once I put it next to the 5Div, it is not large. Actually, the 24-105 is what makes it big. Obviously it is not as compact as the M line, but it is FF!

Weight - Same as above comment. Despite the weight of the lens, holding the RP feels well-balanced.

Handling - Without the grip, size is OK in my hands. I can use my DSLR in the dark being quite accustomed to the location of the controls. The RP dials seem to feel just a bit awkward to me in manual mode. Having a dial on top instead of the back is a little clumsy and the front wheel near the shutter button seems to require just a little more bending of my finger. I am betting this will also get to be more comfortable as I continue to use the camera and develop some "muscle memory."

Shutter - There is a lot online about the shutter sound. It does give a re-assuring "thunk" that is a bit more like a hollow sound than a click. To me, the shutter in the standard (not silent) mode is quieter than the 5Div shutter, but that is subjective. I cannot sense any shutter lag worth a concern. There is a slight "blackout" time (when the image is up for review) but I did not yet try to stress the FPS and the only card I had was a UHS-I. I know it will not be as speedy as the DSLR but don't think this will be an issue for me.

Menus - We will all be very comfortable with them. They are like an old friend. There are a few things on the menu I've yet too explore.

Touchscreen - Works just fine. Still trying to figure out which view I like. The histogram in the viewfinder is a nice option.

Focus - Pretty zippy. I have used to touchscreen to move the point around. I've not yet tried facial or eye recognition nor explored alternate ways to move focus points besides the defaults. I will be setting up back-button focus rather than half-shutter-depress focus because I want both of my cameras to behave the same way for me.

IQ - Probably what most of us are interested in. In fairness, all of my shots so far are indoors with existing lighting. At first I shot jpegs and then RAW. My initial feeling is that the IQ is pretty good, and that "high ISO" (up to 12000) seems fine. I have not done any DR stress-testing. What I have tried and viewed is very good. And, I was able to get some reasonable hand-held 1 second exposures so the lens IS must be OK.

Video - I'll be honest, this is not a priority. The output is better than my phone output (would hope so) and for me, that is fine.

I am very curious to hear what others think now that the first orders are arriving in our hands. Overall, this camera is not a replacement for a pro-level DSLR, but it seems awfully good and is, I think, a keeper.

(edited for spelling

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Thanks.

Regarding my photos, remember I am my own worst critic :unsure: but thanks for your kind words.

Got back-button focus running and going through menu settings in earnest. Next up, gonna use the adapter and attach the 40mm "Pancake" to try. Who knows, maybe I will actually take some "real" photos" this weekend.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Since I knew about the shot to shot delay when the review is showing, I just keep it turned off on my R, so try that on the RP too. One thing I did find irksome was when photographing moving subjects in low light, I watch them and time my capture for a jump or movement or expression, but when things are moving quickly, the freezing of the evf after taking a shot can result in the subject being elsewhere when it resumes normal operation, so there is another delay to find the subject again. I miss a few shots because of that, while that never happens with my 5D MK IV. Its not a huge issue, just a nagging one.

I'm curious if you see the same thing.

Upvote 0
Got mine. It's really a nice size and feels really great in the hand, tomorrow will be it's first work day on the job as I start a new project. I'm not a photographer. I use the camera to gather data. It's a tool (ok I do use it for snaps and such when I travel). The forty pancake on the adapter works well and feels great., The camera is light and with the new FV mode I can make adjustments one handed. My existing 430 flash works, as well as the 85/1.8 I use for reach. For the price points it's a great value, even fits in the bag where the original M went. The manual and the UI is very interesting and Canon certainly has a very good understanding of marketing, the camera has a lot of potential for those getting into still photography at a reasonable cost and are not too obsessive about gear. I mean what a first world problem, I feel blessed to own such a device!View attachment 183376

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
One thing I did find irksome was when photographing moving subjects in low light, I watch them and time my capture for a jump or movement or expression, but when things are moving quickly, the freezing of the evf after taking a shot can result in the subject being elsewhere when it resumes normal operation, so there is another delay to find the subject again. I miss a few shots because of that, while that never happens with my 5D MK IV. Its not a huge issue, just a nagging one.
I also find that annoying. It’s also apparent that the EVF cannot keep up when there’s a big delta for exposure simulation – when panning the camera around, there’s a very tiny but noticeable lag in the EVF, but with a strong ND filter on the lens (or presumably in dark conditions, although I haven’t used the R in that context yet), the lag becomes very evident and the image in the VF jumps around in large steps as the camera is moved.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Thanks Neuro and Mt Spokane Photography. Yeah, shutting off the review does away with any noticeable shutter delay on the RP. In fact, I can even take a shot while the "red light" shows the quick series of snaps I just took is still processing. Guess that reflects the good processor, etc.

But, the little delay when review is on is not really a big issue for me. It is just that I am so accustomed to the instant response of the 5Div. I guess when I need things to be quicker, I'll turn the review off. Maybe I can program one o the Custom Modes to do this. All things considered, this camera feels much more responsive than the M5 (now sold) for me.

Have not yet tried an ND or even used it outside, yet but will keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
............ For the price points it's a great value, even fits in the bag where the original M went........

Thanks, Bluediablo. I just took the RP with the Extension Grip and the RF 24-104 and easily put it into a TT Mirrorless Mover 20 that I used for my M5 kit. There's a little space left over but this bag cannot also accommodate any extra lenses (well maybe a Pancake?). But, it is good to know that I can put the RP, some batteries, some cards, and what will likely be my RF "walkaround" lens into the small bag when I have a quick business trip or other grab and go situation.

For now, I am going to stick to my EF stuff with the converter for anything other than this one lens. That way, my kit remains very useful with either camera.

At some point I'll be looking for an AS quick release plate. Of interest, I have a cheap L-plate form the M5 that actually fits very well but it blocks the doors on the left (the ones opposite the shutter buttons). I could remove the upright and just use the base for now.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I just took the RP with the Extension Grip and the RF 24-104 and easily put it into a TT Mirrorless Mover 20 that I used for my M5 kit. There's a little space left over but this bag cannot also accommodate any extra lenses (well maybe a Pancake?). But, it is good to know that I can put the RP, some batteries, some cards, and what will likely be my RF "walkaround" lens into the small bag when I have a quick business trip or other grab and go situation.
In fact, I’m at a scientific conference as I type this, and I brought only the EOS R and RF 24-105, in a TT MM20. Snug fit, but room in there for three 77mm filters (2 NDs and a CPL) in pouches...and that’s about it. Well, a spare battery would fit if I had one (but no real need on a business trip, especially since with in-camera charging I can recharge with the USB-C power adapter for my MacBook Pro).

Upvote 0
I also find that annoying. It’s also apparent that the EVF cannot keep up when there’s a big delta for exposure simulation – when panning the camera around, there’s a very tiny but noticeable lag in the EVF, but with a strong ND filter on the lens (or presumably in dark conditions, although I haven’t used the R in that context yet), the lag becomes very evident and the image in the VF jumps around in large steps as the camera is moved.
That's an interesting thought. I wonder how the EVF behaves with a tripodded low light landscape with an ND filter.

Upvote 0

troppobash

CR Pro
May 29, 2014
Thanks Neuro and Mt Spokane Photography. Yeah, shutting off the review does away with any noticeable shutter delay on the RP. In fact, I can even take a shot while the "red light" shows the quick series of snaps I just took is still processing. Guess that reflects the good processor, etc.

Out of curiosity with the review on when taking photos on the R and RP as soon as you have taken the photo if you want to take another photo straight away if you press the shutter half way or the back button focus - does the evf switch from review mode to taking a photo mode?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That's an interesting thought. I wonder how the EVF behaves with a tripodded low light landscape with an ND filter.
The ambient light was not dim, but it was a 10-stop ND so exposures were 8-10s (and that was with the ISO bumped to 640; in 77mm I have only a 3-stop ND which wasn’t enough and a 10-stop ND which was too much, I was shooting waterfalls and IMO 6-stops is Goldilocks for that). On a tripod with the ND making it effectively very dim lighting, the image itself didn’t jump around, but the movement of the waterfall did appear jerky.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Out of curiosity with the review on when taking photos on the R and RP as soon as you have taken the photo if you want to take another photo straight away if you press the shutter half way or the back button focus - does the evf switch from review mode to taking a photo mode?
I wasn’t paying careful attention so unconfirmed, but IIRC if I half-pressed the shutter right after image capture, the R didn’t even show the review image, it went straight back to the live image in both the EVF and on the rear LCD.

Upvote 0
Can you test something for me? I have the R and when I put a flash into the hotshoe (or a wireless trigger) and turn it on, the camera disables exposure simulation if it's on. That makes sense in a studio setting but it drives me nuts outside when I just want to use the flash for some fill. I couldn't find a way how to disable this "feature". Is the RP the same?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Can you test something for me? I have the R and when I put a flash into the hotshoe (or a wireless trigger) and turn it on, the camera disables exposure simulation if it's on. That makes sense in a studio setting but it drives me nuts outside when I just want to use the flash for some fill. I couldn't find a way how to disable this "feature". Is the RP the same?
Is this with a Canon flash or 3rd party flash? Ask because for some settings, e.g. live view silent shutter, it makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Is this with a Canon flash or 3rd party flash? Ask because for some settings, e.g. live view silent shutter, it makes a difference.
Silent shutter and EFCS is off. I've just tested it with

Canon 600EX-RT in hotshoe - turns exp sim off
Canon ST-E3-RT trigger - turns exp sim off
Godox X Pro trigger for Canon - turns exp sim off
Elinchrom Skyport Pro for Canon - turns exp sim off
Elinchrom dumb 1-pin trigger - exp sim stays on

so I guess it happens with a TTL capable flash/trigger

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015

I wonder when or how dark it must be before the EVF becomes laggy. I haven’t noticed significant issues with EVF lag when shooting at f1.2, at 1/200sec and ISO 6400...

Upvote 0
I wasn’t paying careful attention so unconfirmed, but IIRC if I half-pressed the shutter right after image capture, the R didn’t even show the review image, it went straight back to the live image in both the EVF and on the rear LCD.
I just tested it on my RP. No lag at all even in continuous shooting but I set the image review to off.

-maadfw

Upvote 0