Rumors are slow, let’s talk RF lens wish lists

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 already shipping in batches, and the Canon Cinema EOS C70 starting to ship in November, the rumor mill has slowed down for the moment. This tells me not to expect too many new and exciting products to hit in 2020.
I do want to talk about RF lenses though, and I wonder what your expectations are to fill out the RF lens lineup, there are obviously still a lot of holes in it. Keep in mind the RF mount has only existed for 755 days (at the time of this post) and the last 6 months we’ve been buried in a global pandemic that has altered product plans.
Rumours aside, these are the 3 lenses I want to see next from Canon.

Canon RF 15-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon RF 24-35mm f/1.4L USM
Canon RF...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I honestly really want an RF 85mm F/1.4L IS. The EF version is soooo nice and I love that lens, but I'm not getting anymore EF glass and it's hard to justify the additional price and weight of the RF 85 F/1.2. The 85mm F/2 looks nice, but F/2 is too slow and I don't expect wonders from the STM focusing. If Canon announced an RF 85 F/1.4L IS for $1800 I would pre-order it right off the bat.

Outside of that, I'm eagerly awaiting a RF 300mm F/2.8L of some sort, as well as a RF 100mm F/2.8 1x macro. Those are really the only three lenses I feel like I'm missing from my gear at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

APP

Long-time mostly-lurker.
CR Pro
I definitely want a 15-35 f/4. I want it as sharp as the f/2.8 version at equal apertures, equal or better coma control, and better vignetting. Smaller, lighter, and cheaper as well, of course. Basically the RF version of my 16-35 f/4. I'd be on the preorder list for that lens.

I wanted the 2.8 but decided the vignetting was disqualifying for my use cases. It does look awesome otherwise.

In the meantime I can wait and use adapters.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
non L tilt shifts. I want those for EF too, but since RF is the future I'll take them here.

-Brian
At least a tilt adaptor for EF lenses on RF mounts would be great. Might be possible WITH AF. And maybe shift for EF lens on APS-C sized sensor section ... but would be very special and limited!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Small landscape primes. No IS needed. Filter threads a must.

15 f2
18 f2.8
I tried my FD new 1:4 17mm and I must admit: A very interesting focal length and very compact size. In my case I used it to try it out for VLOG style video and in that case I would like to have IS - maybe there is place for a f/2.8 18mm WITH IS which is compact enough to fulfill both - landscape and video?!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Maybe very special:
f/2.0 100mm Macro (1:1) with internal focusing (at least "front lens always behind filter in static tube"), IS and Nano USM (for both, photo and video).
Because this would be a "90% of all photos"-lens size wouldn't matter too much (for me) and with engineering quality plastics it should be possible within a 800 grams range today.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0