S100 Settings Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
Just curious about how others set up their S100. Particularly, the Control ring, ring function selection button and shooting mode.

I've settled on using the step zoom mode on the control ring as I dislike power zooms. I shoot in aperture priority and have the ring function selection button set for ISO.

Since I use RAW only, I don't need to mess with many other settings. This setup gives me a lot of flexibility while only having to use a few buttons and dials and it keeps me out of the menus.

Jul 26, 2011
I use the ring for exposure compensation. Usually Av. I don't bother with RAW unless it's important stuff, although I should because it makes quite a difference on that camera. I just wish the cameras processor was faster, I hate the shot to shot times and sometimes I quickly want to adjust something between shots and the camera really bogs down when you push it to its limits. I try not to mess with the ISO too much as it gets noisy fast when you push it up past 400, I try to stick to 80.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Finally got some time to use and play with my S100. Here is how mine is set up today:

Ring Func. - metering mode (also like drive mode)
Control Ring - custom, M, TV, AV are defaults, P changed to zoom (don't really use P but I think I'll mimic AV mode for times I want a predefined focal length)
C mode - AV pref., AEB (2/3 steps), ISO 100, AWB, evaluative metering, flash off, default AV 5.6, drive single

My Menu
Servo AF
Spot AE Point
AF Frame Size
IS Settings
Safety Shift

Common
RAW only
AF frame size - normal
AF assist beam - on
Servo AF - off
Max ISO - 1600
Spot AE point - AF point
Safety shift - off
IS - shoot only, powered - on
GPS - on, Logger - off

Custom Display
1- shooting info
2 - shooting info, grid lines, histogram

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
RC said:
Finally got some time to use and play with my S100. Here is how mine is set up today:

Ring Func. - metering mode (also like drive mode)
Control Ring - custom, M, TV, AV are defaults, P changed to zoom (don't really use P but I think I'll mimic AV mode for times I want a predefined focal length)
C mode - AV pref., AEB (2/3 steps), ISO 100, AWB, evaluative metering, flash off, default AV 5.6, drive single

My Menu
Servo AF
Spot AE Point
AF Frame Size
IS Settings
Safety Shift

Common
RAW only
AF frame size - normal
AF assist beam - on
Servo AF - off
Max ISO - 1600
Spot AE point - AF point
Safety shift - off
IS - shoot only, powered - on
GPS - on, Logger - off

Custom Display
1- shooting info
2 - shooting info, grid lines, histogram

Don't you find the colors off? I just got one today and the seem over saturated. Also not all that impressed with Iq. Was hoping to beat the common power shots but so far not impressed.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
KKCFamilyman said:
Don't you find the colors off? I just got one today and the seem over saturated. Also not all that impressed with Iq. Was hoping to beat the common power shots but so far not impressed.

I attached some colorful images to compare saturation. To me they look fine, maybe the D-back red jerseys are a tad vivid but I don't think they are off. I had to resize them for uploading but there is no PP other than lens correction. The first 2 were RAW and converted via LR, the 3rd (D-backs warming up) was shot jpg. Clearly no NR or sharpening applied.

Was I little disappointed with IQ? A little, I was expecting more improvement over my S80. However I'm not ready to judge just yet, I need more time to play. Of course this is my P&S and I only intend to use it when its not practical to use my 7D.

BTW, last week was my first real use of the camera so I am still rookie with my S100 (took a few snaps back in Feb in HI on business trip but nothing fancy

Attachments

• Rose.jpg
    Rose.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,910
  • Tony Gwynn.jpg
    Tony Gwynn.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,906
  • D-backs.jpg
    D-backs.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,932
Upvote 0
Status