Not open for further replies.

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
skitron said:
ecka said:
The difference between Zeiss and Samyang 35/1.4 is that Zeiss has electronic aperture control. Samyang doesn't, it's all mechanical (good for Nikon :) ). IMHO, that chip isn't a must-have for that lens. It works for focus confirmation and adding some EXIF data like lens focal length or focus distance (I'm not sure about the last one), but you won't get any aperture information. I tried the focus confirmation with some lenses and it seems pretty useless for me. I think that MF screen is a better tool for that.

Did not know the Zeiss had electronic aperture, but then I'm a low budget kinda guy and don't keep up with Zeiss so much... ;)

I'm surprise you haven't had much luck focusing with the confirm chip, I've had good success and keeper rate is way up there. Another great focus aid for manual lenses is the Magic Lantern focus peaking in Live View if you have a body that can run ML.

Yes, ML is great. The confirm chip works, but it seems like 9 5D2 points are not enough to make the most of it.

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
Kathode-Ray said:
I noticed this as well. I also see it when I have my 70-200 f/4 fully zoomed-in to 200 on my 60D and there's something bright like blue sky in the frame; even at f/4.0 you can see the texture of the focusing screen. The standard Ef-A screen is quite bright, but also a bit grainy indeed.

I now switched from the Ef-A to the Ef-S screen, and it's much better. This screen gives you a bit darker viewfinder, but in return you get much better contrast and it shows the actual bokeh better. It's more easy to manually focus with this screen, which would be an advantage with the Samyang lens. If you use it with a wide aperture lens like 1.4, the viewfinder still has plenty of light.

Ray

How much was the focusing screen and how hard to install/how much was installation. I have thought I might like to add one to my 60d

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.