Samyang 35mm f/1.4 US UMC

Are these photo's neat, poorly done, or so so?

• neat!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • poorly done.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • so so?

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • sir, please sell your camera, and never,ever, ruin eye's again!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

aRodriguezPixL

I own the Bower SLY3514C, of the Samyang, or aka Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 fame :) I am in the process of using it, and enjoying it so far on my 5D MKII, handheld :eek:, :eek: because I can't stand needing a tripod,monopo, or anypod, in order to just sadly, point and shoot! I hold as still as possible, but pleae be warned, they are not as sharp as they should be, but please bare/bear? with me :) I pray I don't offend, or over post photos of poor quality, or any of any such. I use 5D MKII in M mode,handheld, and random ISO.

_MG_0611 by a.RodriguezPixL, on Flickr

_MG_0659 by a.RodriguezPixL, on Flickr

ONE FAVE HERE :)

_MG_0649 by a.RodriguezPixL, on Flickr

_MG_0586 by a.RodriguezPixL, on Flickr

_MG_0567 by a.RodriguezPixL, on Flickr

B

branden

Re: The Bower,Samyang,or aka Rokinon 35mm f/1.4

At f/1.4 I'd imagine that getting the subject in focus is a greater cause of photo blur than camera steadiness. Any photo quicker than 1/200 seconds should not show image shake blur if you weren't moving when you took the shot, and that's being very generous. At f/1.4 in sunlight, I think you'd have trouble getting the shutter speeds of less than 1/1000 second.

Upvote 0
P

PaperTiger

I'm always really tempted by these lenses (24, 35, 85...) because of their terrific sharpness wide open, but it's tough as a professional to not have AF. I'm even one of the rarities in my age bracket to have spent the majority of my career working in manual too... I just rely too heavily on the speed of AF.

Yes, some of the shots have missed focus, but it's so tough to be hunched over trying to get a shot with that shallow of depth of field and keep yourself from moving front or back...

Do you have a manual focusing screen? I'd be interested to move back to manual with a replaced screen. May make it a viable option...

Upvote 0
A

aRodriguezPixL

Your comment reminds me of what I think my neighbors feel when I'm outside lol!
"but it's so tough to be hunched over trying to get a shot with that shallow of depth of field and keep yourself from moving front or back..."

No I dont have a focusing, I can't seem to find one for the 5D MKII, unless I'm not searching well? would you have any recommendations? While im asking for tips, could you explain how I could use this...Elinchrom Softlite 25° Grid, assuming i owned one? Thank you very much, for your time, and comments, they are very well received, and noted :)

Upvote 0

ok, so this lens, apart from cheap, is fast and extremely sharp, but it has mediocre-to-really-ugly bokeh :( bummer, I was expecting much better after seeng how nice bokeh the samyang 85mm has (yes, the 35mm is not a portrait lens, but still: not nice)

Upvote 0
A

aRodriguezPixL

in my opinion this is a very nice lens with fantastic abilities at a real nice price, i compare it to my old 35mm 1.4 ze zeiss, and i think its fair to say they are almost exactly capable in the hands of the right person, but something about the zeisses colors and bokeh that are hard to compare, again zeiss is 2k this one is 400! if i had a tripod the results would be a better examination, but at handheld, shaky, 1.4, and manual mode on camera, i think this is fantastic! i need to get the focusing screen, but for know its trial error :( !!??wtf?

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011

I've got one of these on my 7D, it works great as a 'normal' prime, despite being MF and really fast, I manage to get some decent shots out of it. Most of the time I have to use live view (but the Katz Eye screen is on its way). I don't find the bokeh too bad, it's got an octagonal aperture but only noticeable past f/6 (at which point everything's in focus anyway).

So here's two shots i took a few weeks back, at my mate's engagement party. The first probably wide open to f/2 (1/1000s), the second probably closer to f/2.8 - f/4 or so (1/400s).

Upvote 0