Samyang announces the AF 85mm f/1.4 for the RF mount

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Dustin Abbott's review is live for this lens for any interested
Thanks for posting the review! Overall, I must say I’m really impressed and it makes me want this lens even more. Yes, it’s not 1.2, but it seems that it nails both autofocus, image quality and size/weight for a very good price!
Definitely going into my wishlist now!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks for posting the review! Overall, I must say I’m really impressed and it makes me want this lens even more. Yes, it’s not 1.2, but it seems that it nails both autofocus, image quality and size/weight for a very good price!
Definitely going into my wishlist now!
Even f/1.8 is shallow enough DoF for an 85mm 95% of the time. f/1.4 is perfect IMO at this FL. f/1.2 for 50mm or wider for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As usual, Dustin does a great review. Dustin is a reviewer I trust implicitly. This lens looks like a fantastic value at Adorama ($699). I'll be interested to see what else Samyang/Rokinon does in the future. Great looking lens, too. Were I looking to pick up an 85mm f/1.4, this would probably be the one. These are hard times for a great many people. While $699 is still a lot of money for a lot of folks (including me), I think this lens is a very welcome option. I found it very interesting that the weather sealing gasket at the mount is much more substantial than that of the Sony version.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
As usual, Dustin does a great review. Dustin is a reviewer I trust implicitly. This lens looks like a fantastic value at Adorama ($699). I'll be interested to see what else Samyang/Rokinon does in the future. Great looking lens, too. Were I looking to pick up an 85mm f/1.4, this would probably be the one. These are hard times for a great many people. While $699 is still a lot of money for a lot of folks (including me), I think this lens is a very welcome option. I found it very interesting that the weather sealing gasket at the mount is much more substantial than that of the Sony version.

I do wonder if Samyang has solved the huge copy-to-copy variation they had in the past. It's nice that Dustin's review copy is awesome, but will the 100 copies in the Amazon warehouse be equally awesome?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon makes a profit on the EF 85mm f/1.8 for $350, or the lens would have been discontinued. Its good business practice to keep making profitable products. Converting the EF 85mm f/1.8 could be just adding 24mm to the barrel, and updating the electronics. Why not make it for $500? Because "they need to charge more", but somehow Sigma doesn't?

1. So let's say Canon does what you say with the EF85 (which is not a great lens wide open) priced at $350 and then a year later when they want to launch the "real" RF 85/1.8 for $797 (i.e., price of Nikon Z mount 85/1.8S)? The adapted EF lens would eat into the sales of the new lens.

2. Canon would have shot themselves in the foot had they adopted the business model you proposed. Had Canon simplistically adapted a bunch of their bread and butter EF lenses without optical improvements, would have had all their existing users scratching their head even more about making the switch to mirrorless. Why even bother with the EF/R adapter?

3. Sigma introduced their adapted DSLR line of prime lenses for the Sony mount because they could offer significantly cheaper alternatives to the G-master and G lenses and minimally impact their manufacturing and marketing. For example, compare the Sigma FE 50/1.4 ART at $949 to the Sony FE 50/1.4 Planar at $1949. Or the Sigma FE 35/1.4 ART at $899 vs the Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 Distagon at $1598. And yes, Sigma did raise the prices for their FE lenses compared to their DSLR siblings.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
1. So let's say Canon does what you say with the EF85 (which is not a great lens wide open) priced at $350 and then a year later when they want to launch the "real" RF 85/1.8 for $797 (i.e., price of Nikon Z mount 85/1.8S)? The adapted EF lens would eat into the sales of the new lens.

That's not what I'm saying. I say Canon would either adapt the EF 85mm f/1.8 to RF or release a wholly new cheap RF 85mm, but not skip making a cheap RF 85mm lens alltogether.

Upvote 0
That's not what I'm saying. I say Canon would either adapt the EF 85mm f/1.8 to RF or release a wholly new cheap RF 85mm, but not skip making a cheap RF 85mm lens alltogether.

Launching a cheap RF mount 85/1.8, optically the same as the EF or redesigned is not in Canon's best interest for the multiple reasons I previously stated.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Launching a cheap RF mount 85/1.8, optically the same as the EF or redesigned is not in Canon's best interest for the multiple reasons I previously stated.

1. The RF 85mm f/1.8 could be launched for far closer to the EF 85mm f/1.8 and/or offer advantages from the improved communication abilities of the RF mount.

2. The switch to mirrorless would be drived, as I wrote, by lenses EF doesn't offer, such as the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF 28-70mm f/2L USM, etc. The "business model" I suggest is limited to cheap primes, *if* Canon can't make new cheap RF primes instead. Which is my whole point.

As for the EF to R adapter, its a cheap extension tube intended to help photographers switch from EF to RF. As example, I have four L zooms. I don't have the money to switch all of them at the same time. The adapter will allow to make this switch gradually.

The adapter certainly isn't an item Canon can make a profit on long term, as lots of companies can copy it quickly.

3. Which is relevant to the point at hand... how?

Upvote 0
1. The RF 85mm f/1.8 could be launched for far closer to the EF 85mm f/1.8 and/or offer advantages from the improved communication abilities of the RF mount.

2. The switch to mirrorless would be drived, as I wrote, by lenses EF doesn't offer, such as the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF 28-70mm f/2L USM, etc. The "business model" I suggest is limited to cheap primes, *if* Canon can't make new cheap RF primes instead. Which is my whole point.

As for the EF to R adapter, its a cheap extension tube intended to help photographers switch from EF to RF. As example, I have four L zooms. I don't have the money to switch all of them at the same time. The adapter will allow to make this switch gradually.

The adapter certainly isn't an item Canon can make a profit on long term, as lots of companies can copy it quickly.

3. Which is relevant to the point at hand... how?

Sigh. I don't know how many different ways I can tell you to quit fantasizing about cheap adaptations of EF lenses, be it primes or zooms or super teles. It already exists via EF/R adapter. It's simply not going to happen.

As for #3, you asked the question earlier. I answered it.

Upvote 0
Me fantasizing is your insulting interpretation of things.

If RF takes over, as some people expect it to, EF will go out of production, at which time the combo will not be available, at least not a profit for Canon.

What I'm saying, and you're apparently too stupid or malicious to understand, is Canon will make cheap RF primes. It might do so by converting EF primes to RF, or designing wholly new RF primes.

What what you fail to understand is that Canon will not make cheapo ($350) RF prime lenses even if the incremental cost to production is nil or even negative. Go ahead, send in your request to Canon USA or Canon Japan himself. And don't skip your anti-psychotic meds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That sounds ignorant to me.

Considering the EF 85mm 1.4 works like a hand in a glove on the EOS R, there shouldn't be any need for Canon to rush new RF lens designs. Canon's present pace seems more than ample.

that’s not the point. We shouldn’t be having to use 25 year old lens designs on our brand new mirrorless cameras and it’s ridiculous it took a 3rd party maker to put out a lens Canon should have had out from day 1 or at least the first 3 months.

Upvote 0
that’s not the point. We shouldn’t be having to use 25 year old lens designs on our brand new mirrorless cameras and it’s ridiculous it took a 3rd party maker to put out a lens Canon should have had out from day 1 or at least the first 3 months.

What, the EF 85/1.4 L IS is a 25 year old lens design? Nope, announced on August 29, 2017.

Plus I don't see why Canon has some sort of onus (to you) to put out an 85 prime within 3 months of releasing their first FF MILC. It's not like Sony did (the 85/1.4GM was released Feb 2016, over years after the A7 was released (Oct 2013).

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
It is June 2021, and according to product page on the website of one of the largest Polish photo stores network Cyfrowe.pl, this lens model has the "End of the model No order possible" status:

On the website of the European distributor of the Samyang brand i.e. the Focus Nordic company, the RF mount has disappeared from the offer:

This lens (along with the Samyang AF 14 MM F/2.8 Canon RF model) has disappeared from the manufacturer's official website:

• Wow
Upvote 0
It is June 2021, and according to product page on the website of one of the largest Polish photo stores network Cyfrowe.pl, this lens model has the "End of the model No order possible" status:

On the website of the European distributor of the Samyang brand i.e. the Focus Nordic company, the RF mount has disappeared from the offer:

This lens (along with the Samyang AF 14 MM F/2.8 Canon RF model) has disappeared from the manufacturer's official website:

I love mine but it is no longer working with my RP. Autofocus just stopped working altogether after being somewhat choppy for a few uses. Truly unfortunate because the rendering is really spectacular. I’ve contemplated buying the Samyang dock to see if an update helps, but I hate the idea of throwing more money at problems.

Upvote 0
I love mine but it is no longer working with my RP. Autofocus just stopped working altogether after being somewhat choppy for a few uses. Truly unfortunate because the rendering is really spectacular. I’ve contemplated buying the Samyang dock to see if an update helps, but I hate the idea of throwing more money at problems.
Where are you based I have the dock and if you are anywhere near me I am glad to share.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0