Seashore, Beaches and Harbours

The PS Waverley returns to port in the magic hour, having had a long shift ferrying 'steaming' glaswegians around the Arran Coast.

For anybody who ever wondered why drunks are sometimes referred to as 'steaming' (in these neck of the woods at least) it comes from the old tradition of going doon the water. And getting very drunk.

EOS M. Canon EF-Ef-m converter. Canon 100mm f2 USM. Manfrotto Befree tripod.

Attachments

• 02-16x9.jpg
    02-16x9.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0
Hi Tinky.
Very nice shot, really like the way she is breaking the mirror as she progresses. We spent an hour yesterday working out how to fit another trip out on her in to our schedule, she is due to visit the south coast again this summer, we try to go out on her when she is here, such a beautiful historic vessel that deserves to be preserved and each trip helps. We have also taken several friends out on her and they are all fans now!
Thanks for explaining steaming drunk. ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Tinky said:
The PS Waverley returns to port in the magic hour, having had a long shift ferrying 'steaming' glaswegians around the Arran Coast.

For anybody who ever wondered why drunks are sometimes referred to as 'steaming' (in these neck of the woods at least) it comes from the old tradition of going doon the water. And getting very drunk.

EOS M. Canon EF-Ef-m converter. Canon 100mm f2 USM. Manfrotto Befree tripod.

Upvote 0
We'll be back out on her this year again. I want to do the Kyles of Bute on her, to relive a family holiday years ago, when my Dad sailed us round the Kyles.

Got to watch the Commonwealth Flotilla from her last year. That was special.

Would love to have a trip on the Thames Estuary on her, see the old battlements etc.

Attachments

• Flotilla_1.jpg
    Flotilla_1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Flotilla2.jpg
    Flotilla2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Flotilla3.jpg
    Flotilla3.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Tinky.
Nice shot, extra credits for including the other maritime history, the tall ship and the hammerhead crane from a ship yard.

Cheers, Graham.

Tinky said:
PS Waverley returning to Glasgow on her last trip of the Summer Season in Scotland.

Many thanks, I plan everything out on TPE, in satelite mode, my technique for this kind of shot is to decide on my background first, knowing that the subject is going to move through the frame anyway and that I'll have plenty of choice. And by locking the tripod on my co position I cn concentrate of aiservo point tracking the subje t through the frame (i use the assist point method) not essential for the sedate waverley, but helps with very fast or very small or very fast small subjects.

Its a tricky shotto get as she often returns after sunset, this was right on sunset, about 7 minutes before, facing west, a nicer night would have killed it, the cloud letting through enough colour and softening the rest, quite pleased with it myself.

The crane is the Barclay Curle Titan , one of four decommissioned Titans left on the Clyde. The tall ship is the PglenLee and adjoins the Riverside Museum (aka the Transport Museum), as a point of pure trivia the Riverside Museum occupies the former Ingles Shipbuilders site, where PS Waverley was constructed, the last Paddle Steamer the yard built, the Maid of Loch, two years younger than the Waverley, is at Loch Lomond, undergoing restoration.

Upvote 0
Hi Tinky.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. From your previous work I had no doubt that it was thoroughly planned.
The difference between a photograph and a snapshot maybe?

Cheers, Graham.

Tinky said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Tinky.
Nice shot, extra credits for including the other maritime history, the tall ship and the hammerhead crane from a ship yard.

Cheers, Graham.

Tinky said:
PS Waverley returning to Glasgow on her last trip of the Summer Season in Scotland.

Many thanks, I plan everything out on TPE, in satelite mode, my technique for this kind of shot is to decide on my background first, knowing that the subject is going to move through the frame anyway and that I'll have plenty of choice. And by locking the tripod on my co position I cn concentrate of aiservo point tracking the subje t through the frame (i use the assist point method) not essential for the sedate waverley, but helps with very fast or very small or very fast small subjects.

Its a tricky shotto get as she often returns after sunset, this was right on sunset, about 7 minutes before, facing west, a nicer night would have killed it, the cloud letting through enough colour and softening the rest, quite pleased with it myself.

The crane is the Barclay Curle Titan , one of four decommissioned Titans left on the Clyde. The tall ship is the PglenLee and adjoins the Riverside Museum (aka the Transport Museum), as a point of pure trivia the Riverside Museum occupies the former Ingles Shipbuilders site, where PS Waverley was constructed, the last Paddle Steamer the yard built, the Maid of Loch, two years younger than the Waverley, is at Loch Lomond, undergoing restoration.

Upvote 0
Shag Rock
20341629213_fb96d33b49_b.jpg

Sumner

Upvote 0