Secret Canon Powershot killer due in a week or two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
kapanak said:
He has clarified that it was the Sony DSC-RX100 he was talking about. Look under the comments of that article.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/what-pogue-actually-bought/?comments#permid=90

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/what-pogue-actually-bought/?comments#permid=132

Sorry to burst your bubble :)

I think the title can be read two ways, it was obviously intended to indicate that the camera would obsolete the Canon Powershot cameras. Part of the problem is that its posted in the Canon rumors forum and not the third party forum.

Personally, I am a bit shy of Sony, even if they come out with a really good concept, they give poor support, and totally abandon the product as soon as a replacement model shows up, or after about 2 years. Repairs cost more than a new camera. Its just hard for me to think that they are a serious camera company, but they are improving, so who knows, in 10 or 20 years, they might convince a few pro's.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
kapanak said:
He has clarified that it was the Sony DSC-RX100 he was talking about. Look under the comments of that article.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/what-pogue-actually-bought/?comments#permid=90

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/what-pogue-actually-bought/?comments#permid=132

I think the title can be read two ways, it was obviously intended to indicate that the camera would obsolete the Canon Powershot cameras. Part of the problem is that its posted in the Canon rumors forum and not the third party forum.

Personally, I am a bit shy of Sony, even if they come out with a really good concept, they give poor support, and totally abandon the product as soon as a replacement model shows up, or after about 2 years. Repairs cost more than a new camera. Its just hard for me to think that they are a serious camera company, but they are improving, so who knows, in 10 or 20 years, they might convince a few pro's.

you forgot silly proprietry mountings and media formats

memory stick bleh ::)
and their flash mounts

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
kapanak said:

you forgot silly proprietry mountings and media formats

memory stick bleh ::)
and their flash mounts

Sony make radios and TVs dont they ??? ??? ???

Upvote 0
Sony RX100

Interesting article on New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/technology/personaltech/a-pocket-camera-even-pro-photographers-can-love-state-of-the-art.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss#comments

"If you want to know what “huge sensor” and “big aperture” mean in the real world, stop reading and savor my annotated slide show of sample photos"

Do you agree with this guy, the Sony RX100 can be a second camera for a pro? Under what circumstances?
I have read a few of this guys articles, he's not doesnt appear to be the serious photographic type, more an enthusiasts. I notices he closed off comments after two days of his articles. I looked at the galleries - i dont see any examples of low light shots or pleasing bokeh. "Rivaling the pros" So what do you say gimmick or serious camera? And for $650? I say gimmick.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

The RX100 looks great. But then so did the f828.. the a900...

Where are they now?

I use sony ENG cameras, dsr's, dvw's. Don't know if I really entirely trust there consumer ranges.

I still remember the massive Sony CCD failure of a few years back (which also affected Canon powershots) and despite what DXO fanboys might say, I'm glad Canon make their own sensors.

Canon will have their mirrorless out by the time the Sony is in the shops. Lets see what folk buy.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
wickidwombat said:
kapanak said:
I totally agree, when it comes to support, Sony has a habit of ditching their customers ... I still remember the Sony Plasma I had bought in 2004 ... they dumped Plasma like a hot potato in 2005 and I could not get any support from Sony I still remember how pi55ed off I was ... they started promoting LDC TV's with the tag line "We Stand for LCD" or some 5hit like that.
A friend of mine has Sony Full Frame DSLR a900 which is no longer available in the market and nor do you get support for it from Sony. I still remember how people went all gaga over the introduction of Sony a900 at 24 megapixel etc but that product was like a stinky fart that left some real bad smell for Sony customers. Sony keeps jumping ship based on profit margin. With their new cropped framed DSLR's (like a77) they might be onto something that could be ground breaking but I do not trust Sony support system ... besides I was/am very happy with Canon & Nikon. For affordable DSLR's its either Canon or Nikon the rest are not time tested products.

Upvote 0
G

Gman

I am glad I returned to this thread because it's now the first of September and Canon have not yet come up with any competition to the RX100, not only that but we now have the Nikon Coolpix P7700 for Canon to compete with - almost a clone of the Canon Powershot G12 but with upgraded sensor, now CMOS and a much better zoom lens. Unfortunately not due to be released until the last week in September. Almost the same size and weight as the G12 - not like the big brother G1X.

I had been very tempted by the Sony RX100 with it's larger sensor but having read this I do wonder about buying a new camera just before an important holiday when I expect to take lots of photos. If Sony''s service is as bad as I read here and I end up with a bummer then like some folks have said it will be an expensive door stop and it is a lot more expensive than the promised Nikon P7700. Not only that but imagine trying to get service when in Japan when it was bought in Europe.

If Canon doesn't bring out a Sony/Nikon killer by Photokina I suspect I am going to be tempted to buy the Canon G12 clone, the Nikon P7700. of course it will also depend on whether I can get my mits on one before I go away at the beginning of October.!

Upvote 0
G

GuardianFlash

Gman said:
I am glad I returned to this thread because it's now the first of September and Canon have not yet come up with any competition to the RX100, not only that but we now have the Nikon Coolpix P7700 for Canon to compete with - almost a clone of the Canon Powershot G12 but with upgraded sensor, now CMOS and a much better zoom lens. Unfortunately not due to be released until the last week in September. Almost the same size and weight as the G12 - not like the big brother G1X.

I had been very tempted by the Sony RX100 with it's larger sensor but having read this I do wonder about buying a new camera just before an important holiday when I expect to take lots of photos. If Sony''s service is as bad as I read here and I end up with a bummer then like some folks have said it will be an expensive door stop and it is a lot more expensive than the promised Nikon P7700. Not only that but imagine trying to get service when in Japan when it was bought in Europe.

If Canon doesn't bring out a Sony/Nikon killer by Photokina I suspect I am going to be tempted to buy the Canon G12 clone, the Nikon P7700. of course it will also depend on whether I can get my mits on one before I go away at the beginning of October.!
A successor to the S100 will be announced in 4-5 days. I had both the S100 and RX100. I actually liked to S100 better. The RX100 was more bulky. Despite a bigger sensor from Sony, I preferred the images from the S100. The RX100's ISO performance is only a slight better. It's hard to tell with the naked eye. Anyways, I eventually sold the RX100 on craigslist.

Upvote 0
GuardianFlash said:
Gman said:
I am glad I returned to this thread because it's now the first of September and Canon have not yet come up with any competition to the RX100, not only that but we now have the Nikon Coolpix P7700 for Canon to compete with - almost a clone of the Canon Powershot G12...

A successor to the S100 will be announced in 4-5 days. I had both the S100 and RX100. I actually liked to S100 better. The RX100 was more bulky. Despite a bigger sensor from Sony, I preferred the images from the S100. The RX100's ISO performance is only a slight better. It's hard to tell with the naked eye. Anyways, I eventually sold the RX100 on craigslist.
I suppose worst comes to the worst, I could always get a heavily discounted G12 if the new Gxx is not available by the time I go away?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.