Select Canon cameras can now auto-backup to Google Photos

Apr 25, 2011
I used it for CR2 and my Synology NAS for a long time. But with the switch to CR3 and Amazon not supporting them as "photos", I decided to switch to BackBlaze.
By the way, Amazon Drive is canceling support for Synology NAS synchronization in November. Looks like I'll be moving to BackBlaze too (and canceling my Amazon extra storage subscription for video). Amazon's own synchronization tools are poorly suited for image database backup.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Could be AWS

It's on AWS.

I've used Google Drive since it first launched and I've never lost a single file.

Till now. Look at the ToS about what you are entitled with when they lose your files.

Because Google is in the Ad tracking business, why Apple isn’t.

No. Apple hates anybody making money on iOS without paying them. Look at the fight with Epic. Apple does sell ads directly.

Because Google Photos is fantastic. Auto tags most everything,

And how does it? By analyzing each image and extracting information to feed consumer profiles whose use is then sold to advertiser.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder how many iPhone and iPad users would rather use a Google product there rather than Apple’s own.
I pay Apple for backing up my iPhone to iCloud. Google is the most useful site for me out there and I use it many times daily so I put up with their tracking me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
It doesn't support CR3 does it?

I am not sure. I do have a 6D (cr2) and M50 (cr3) but I always import them as DNG in Lightroom. Amazon Photos give you unlimited photo storage, and I use DNG because it saves LR edits in file without the need for an XMP sidecar file.

I found out that Lightroom edits are saved to the catalogue (not directly to the file), and I need to do “Update DNG metadata and preview” to save the edits to the DNG files. I then unpause the “sync” on Amazon Photos to have the files uploaded with the edits. If I kept sync always on, it will upload the files

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I hate to tell you, but even if you block ads, the fact that you are a registered and logged-on user of this site means you have a browser cookie and are being tracked to some extent or another, and more so if you're using this site with your smart phone. Even if you use Tor, that's likely compromised at the state level (primarily funded by the US Government), even if you use a private VPN, someone owns those servers and someone definitely owns the connections between the two. Your best hope for privacy on the internet is that no one cares about you personally, and your communications are not swept up in connection with someone they do care about - but there is no possibility of absolute privacy on the public internet.
100% correct but that doesn't stop me from NOT having a f***book account! No doubt I'll still have a ghost account though, no one caring is my first line of defense :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
No. Apple hates anybody making money on iOS without paying them. Look at the fight with Epic. Apple does sell ads directly.
[/QUOTE]

Apple spends billions on the App Store. Two thirds of the apps are free. Apple gets nothing there except the $99 a year developer account. You can have as many free apps out there as you want for that amount. Apple give apps away for f4ree in promotions and pays the developers but takes no cut. They do all the accounting work, they do advertising. And it’s their platform.

Google charges the same 30%. Off loading apps is something only a tiny number of people do. Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony also charge 30%.

what was your point there?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Apple spends billions on the App Store. Two thirds of the apps are free.
Not to defend or accuse Apple of anything. But isn't the issue people are discussing less about taking a cut for the price of an app (Something Apple is directly involved in due to distributing it) but also taking the cut for purchases and subscriptions made through the app?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Not to defend or accuse Apple of anything. But isn't the issue people are discussing less about taking a cut for the price of an app (Something Apple is directly involved in due to distributing it) but also taking the cut for purchases and subscriptions made through the app?

Yes, but for subscriptions the cut decreases over time. While I think the 30% cut is a bit much, considering the size of the app store, it is on par with Google, Microsoft and Sony.
I suspect that the app store will still be profitable for able with a 10% cut, but I don't know what incentive Apple has to lower it. I wouldn't be suprised if the current conflict with Epic makes them dig in their heels even more.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Because Google Photos is fantastic. Auto tags most everything, and allows you to easily find images from years ago just based on what is in it. "Oh....there was a great shot of my daughter near a fountain." Search your daughter's name and 'fountain' and the photo instantly comes up. I don't back up my major photos to it, but all my mobile images and anything from my real cameras I've transferred to my phone, or downloaded are all in there. I'll sometimes upload good images I've taken to it also if I want super easy access to them.

yes and now google will be trying to sell you kids stuff and fountains. ;-)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Amazon doesn't support yet .CR3, but I bet they will eventually for the time being I convert to DNG and call it a day. I have a unraid server with 40 TB + amazon cloud + 1tb in lightroom cloud for WIP and a gnarbox for good measure while taking photos
We need people of your mindset in charge of pandemic planning etc, and that is not a joke.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Two thirds of the apps in the. App store are free, and Apple gets nothing from them, but still has to spend the money to support them. A large number have subs, or sell upgrades or other bits. If Apple has an app that gets downloaded 20 million times, and gets nothing for that, why shouldn’t they get a cut of the sub? It’s 30% the first year, and 15% after that. That’s not so bad.

estimates are that Apple just makes about five cents profit on each dollar sold. That includes the average of everything. That’s not exactly profiteering. Epic, for example, is estimated to make over a 60% profit on Fortnite. Every other online store from Apple to Sony charges 30%, not just the first year, but forever. Is that better?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Two thirds of the apps in the. App store are free, and Apple gets nothing from them, but still has to spend the money to support them. A large number have subs, or sell upgrades or other bits. If Apple has an app that gets downloaded 20 million times, and gets nothing for that, why shouldn’t they get a cut of the sub? It’s 30% the first year, and 15% after that. That’s not so bad.

estimates are that Apple just makes about five cents profit on each dollar sold. That includes the average of everything. That’s not exactly profiteering. Epic, for example, is estimated to make over a 60% profit on Fortnite. Every other online store from Apple to Sony charges 30%, not just the first year, but forever. Is that better?

I remember reading, many decades ago, that people were surveyed...what would they consider a fair profit for a company? And five percent was the typical answer. Another question was what they thought companies typically made, and the typical answer was in the 20-30 percent range.

It turns out most companies, including many who have been accused of gouging and profiteering, make well UNDER 5 percent; they'd love to have such a good year as to make what the average consumer thinks is a fair profit.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

As I said, not making any statement about Apple here. I just wanted to point out that you can offer a free App and still be affected by Apples regulations. I had taken your point about the number of free Apps as implying that only the costs of an App itself is relevant to the discussion. Sorry.

As we're talking about a corporate lawsuit here, I won't bother giving an opinion on Apples business practices. We'll be informed whether this is a legit legal issue or not eventually.

Upvote 0