Semi-Erotic Photography: Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drizzt321 said:
Not having done any of this style before...

But also having a 3rd person there, maybe a friend of hers or someone she's comfortable with? At least until you develop a relationship (meaning you know each other, and trust each other with work).

Also stay professional. Concentrate on the work, the lighting, etc. And if things 'rise' up, just ignore it as best as possible, and continue on.

A large portion of "dancers" are going to be involved in narcotics (using and selling), with a good chunk selling themselves on the side. The concern isn't about them being uncomfortable around him...

Before anyone gets on a high horse about girls working themselves through college, sorry, I've arrested way too many to buy into the fairy tales. Coke, meth, and prostitution combined with stealing are reoccurring themes.

That doesn't mean you can't find attractive girls or take decent pictures though, just don't go into it wide eyed like a chump.

Upvote 0
OK, I read though this. All good suggestions. I don't have experience with erotic photography per se but I would offer this common sense advice about location...

Strip clubs are a different world. You live in New Orleans, you should already understand that better than most. Whenever you bring strangers to your home, they know where you live. They also know what you own. You become a target for theft, or worse. What if a shoot goes poorly or a perfectly good shoot pisses off a boyfriend or husband. You're screwed. Re-read the law enforcement inspired post above about what habits these people may (or may not) have. These girls live a rough lifestyle. Even if they are trustworthy, someone they know may not be and after hearing about your place, may decide it's a payday.

If you drive a car with a fancy stereo and people know it, it will eventually be broken into. Same goes for your house/apt with a bunch of photo equipment.

I don't care who you know or how nice they are. Other people they know have the potential to cause you grief, loss or harm. If it were me, I would always work on location with a partner (for your safety and theirs). No one on one, always have another person there with you. Meet at another home or hotel room with background equipment and lights. Don't bring a bunch of strangers parading through your home where you live and keep everything you own. It's just a bad idea. You will either arrive back to a trashed home or worse, have someone visit you with bad intentions. (Are you the A$$Hole Pervert that took pictures of my wife naked!!??)

Sorry, some things aren't worth the risk and you don't owe these people any favors. Don't shortcut this, do it right. There's a reason the pro studios actually have studios. With locks and alarms. It sounds like to me you are moving into the business too fast. Figure out how to go to them and then work your way up to a studio as the business grows.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
RustyTheGeek said:
OK, I read though this. All good suggestions. I don't have experience with erotic photography per se but I would offer this common sense advice about location...

Strip clubs are a different world. You live in New Orleans, you should already understand that better than most. Whenever you bring strangers to your home, they know where you live. They also know what you own. You become a target for theft, or worse. What if a shoot goes poorly or a perfectly good shoot pisses off a boyfriend or husband. You're screwed. Re-read the law enforcement inspired post above about what habits these people may (or may not) have. These girls live a rough lifestyle. Even if they are trustworthy, someone they know may not be and after hearing about your place, may decide it's a payday.

If you drive a car with a fancy stereo and people know it, it will eventually be broken into. Same goes for your house/apt with a bunch of photo equipment.

I don't care who you know or how nice they are. Other people they know have the potential to cause you grief, loss or harm. If it were me, I would always work on location with a partner (for your safety and theirs). No one on one, always have another person there with you. Meet at another home or hotel room with background equipment and lights. Don't bring a bunch of strangers parading through your home where you live and keep everything you own. It's just a bad idea. You will either arrive back to a trashed home or worse, have someone visit you with bad intentions. (Are you the A$$Hole Pervert that took pictures of my wife naked!!??)

Sorry, some things aren't worth the risk and you don't owe these people any favors. Don't shortcut this, do it right. There's a reason the pro studios actually have studios. With locks and alarms. It sounds like to me you are moving into the business too fast. Figure out how to go to them and then work your way up to a studio as the business grows.

Yep....I've been quite hesitant to bring anyone to MY house...I was thinking to rent a hotel room or something....maybe something down IN the Quarter....nice rooms, and the girls would be near work..etc?

I dunno.....it is likely going to be after the first of the year before I have time for this...so, will pondering the parameters and logistics...

Thank you to all for the great advice....keep it coming as you think of things...

C

Upvote 0
If you visit The Strobist (http://strobist.blogspot.com/) and read, learn, study, etc you will discover that you can make a lot of venues work. You can make the background disappear or make it work for you based on how you manipulate the light, shutter speed, etc. This might help you adapt to more locations and still impress by keeping the model as the main point of interest in the images. I also really like some of Stephen Eastwood's work, check it out! I bet some of your models would love the look of some of these edgy styles but they are pretty advanced. Definitely something to strive for. http://stepheneastwood.com/

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
cayenne said:
RustyTheGeek said:

Yep....I've been quite hesitant to bring anyone to MY house...I was thinking to rent a hotel room or something....maybe something down IN the Quarter....nice rooms, and the girls would be near work..etc?

I dunno.....it is likely going to be after the first of the year before I have time for this...so, will pondering the parameters and logistics...

Thank you to all for the great advice....keep it coming as you think of things...

C
I'm sure that there are photo studios for rent, and they might even include some proper lighting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.