Show us your Hooters (Owls)

I certainly meant no offense with the thread title, I was just having fun, but I can change it if people feel it goes too far. I think most people, male and female, would find it at least somewhat funny, but alas we do live in a PC age, and I could be wrong.

Anyways, the thread has turned out better than I had even expected. You have all put my work to shame :) - which was my hope - these shots are blowing me away. I count myself lucky to have even gotten photos of these reclusive and camouflaged creatures, and the photos you're all sharing are really amazing! Thank you for posting and I look forward to seeing more and possibly sharing more if I come across more owls.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mackguyver.
I found the title amusing, I think we are going down a path of worrying about what others think when they do not worry! I worked in a factory with 80 blokes and 6 women, I thought women wanted to be noticed, they spend hours and tons of money making themselves look good, then you have to worry, will they bawl you out or claim sexual harassment when you notice a new hair style or a nice dress that obviously makes them feel good about themselves. I actually asked one of the ladies if they would be offended if I said they looked nice today etc and they said they would be delighted someone noticed. Who knew? ;D
On topic excellent shots folks, I have seen owls around locally but not a hope of catching one when I have a camera!

Cheers Graham.

mackguyver said:
I certainly meant no offense with the thread title, I was just having fun, but I can change it if people feel it goes too far. I think most people, male and female, would find it at least somewhat funny, but alas we do live in a PC age, and I could be wrong.

Anyways, the thread has turned out better than I had even expected. You have all put my work to shame :) - which was my hope - these shots are blowing me away. I count myself lucky to have even gotten photos of these reclusive and camouflaged creatures, and the photos you're all sharing are really amazing! Thank you for posting and I look forward to seeing more and possibly sharing more if I come across more owls.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Mackguyver.
I found the title amusing, I think we are going down a path of worrying about what others think when they do not worry! I worked in a factory with 80 blokes and 6 women, I thought women wanted to be noticed, they spend hours and tons of money making themselves look good, then you have to worry, will they bawl you out or claim sexual harassment when you notice a new hair style or a nice dress that obviously makes them feel good about themselves. I actually asked one of the ladies if they would be offended if I said they looked nice today etc and they said they would be delighted someone noticed. Who knew? ;D
On topic excellent shots folks, I have seen owls around locally but not a hope of catching one when I have a camera!

Cheers Graham.
Graham, thank you for the supportive words and it's not always the easiest world to navigate these days for sure. Getting back to my point of this post...here's another one - this is of the mate of the first barred owl I posted, I think, or they may be the same bird. It was taken after they flew off together and landed in a nearby tree. Unfortunately I can't tell the males & females apart:
_MG_0702-L.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mackguyver.
Well if I'd posted it I would have been able to tell you,.......it's an owl! Slightly better than its a bird but not much!
Another great shot.

Cheers Graham.

mackguyver said:
Graham, thank you for the supportive words and it's not always the easiest world to navigate these days for sure. Getting back to my point of this post...here's another one - this is of the mate of the first barred owl I posted, I think, or they may be the same bird. It was taken after they flew off together and landed in a nearby tree. Unfortunately I can't tell the males & females apart:
_MG_0702-L.jpg

Upvote 0
stochasticmotions said:
Love shooting Owls - here's a few of my favourites. Most of these have been shot with Canon 5d II, Canon 1D IV or Canon 5D III and either Canon 100-400L or Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (and 2x teleconverter).

Great Horned Owlet
Not a little baby anymore (Explored) by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Long Eared Owl
Long eared portrait by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Saw-whet Owl
my best side by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Snowy Owl
Oh my, those eyes by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Great Grey Owl
Just another little action shot. by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Barred Owl
looking back by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

I really love this series you shared! That first photo is just great, looks like it's from a movie!

Upvote 0
KAS said:
There are so many incredible images in this thread!

I had the absolute pleasure of playing with a 400 2.8 for a couple days. During that time, I managed to capture this humble image.

:)

AfterglowImages_Owl.jpg
The only humble thing is your post - this is a beautiful shot. I love the head tilt and huge ears along with the colorful foliage.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
The only humble thing is your post - this is a beautiful shot. I love the head tilt and huge ears along with the colorful foliage.

Thank you very much! I was amazed at how a long telephoto really changes the way you look at the environment around you. Until this moment, I had never seen an owl in the wild before. :)

Upvote 0