Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3 first (?) review

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Polish mother site of Lenstip has posted its review. The Lenstip one will be out in a day or two, but Google will translate:

http://www.optyczne.pl/420.1-Test_obiektywu-Sigma_C_100-400_mm_f_5-6.3_DG_OS_HSM.html

Their copy of the lens is sharper in the middle than the Canon 100-400mm II, the opposite to the TDP charts! It's all copy variation.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
andrei1989 said:
that's pretty impressive...
i was expecting the sigma to be somewhere near canon's first version..

My resolution expectations were higher than these results. But I may rent it at some point, just to see whether Sigma has resolved its AF inconsistency problems.

To be fair, you will not see any resolution differences between the canon or Sigma, it's very slight. But AF consistency, aperture motor reliability, general reliability, durability and resale values...well I'm pretty sure that Canon would be the better bet.
I've often found that Sigma optics are very comparable to Canon's. It's just the rest of the lens that's the problem. For semi-pro and hobbiest use, Sigma is great. For serious pro use, for me...it's a pass (and that's from long term experience).

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
To be fair, It appears that you are missing the point, clearly... this lens was designed to specifically address the size and the weight issue that is traditionaly associated with 400mm focal length zoom lenses, yet to be afordable and sharp, designed as a perfect and small travel companion for photo enthusiasts, not for the "Serious Pros.. for you..".
There is an alternative to Canon lenses, you know.. other brands do exist.. I have heard very good words about Tamron G2 lenses closing on the gap... even for professional use. I am sorry to hear about your personal first hand negative experience with the Sigma first generation Art lenses being unreliable, non durable and lucking AF consistency, but my Sigma 85 Art and Canon 135 Art doing just fine in that regard.
I am sorry to say, but your personal experience with Sigma brand products is a little bit outdated.

I try not to do a judgement or offer an advise with something I have no sound experience with. It is not quite practical long term to operate that way. It pays to stay relevant.
GMCPhotographics said:
chrysoberyl said:
andrei1989 said:
that's pretty impressive...
i was expecting the sigma to be somewhere near canon's first version..

My resolution expectations were higher than these results. But I may rent it at some point, just to see whether Sigma has resolved its AF inconsistency problems.

To be fair, you will not see any resolution differences between the canon or Sigma, it's very slight. But AF consistency, aperture motor reliability, general reliability, durability and resale values...well I'm pretty sure that Canon would be the better bet.
I've often found that Sigma optics are very comparable to Canon's. It's just the rest of the lens that's the problem. For semi-pro and hobbiest use, Sigma is great. For serious pro use, for me...it's a pass (and that's from long term experience).

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
To be fair, It appears that you are missing the point, clearly... this lens was designed to specifically address the size and the weight issue that is traditionaly associated with 400mm focal length zoom lenses, yet to be afordable and sharp, designed as a perfect and small travel companion for photo enthusiasts, not for the "Serious Pros.. for you..".
There is an alternative to Canon lenses, you know.. other brands do exist.. I have heard very good words about Tamron G2 lenses closing on the gap... even for professional use. I am sorry to hear about your personal first hand negative experience with the Sigma first generation Art lenses being unreliable, non durable and lucking AF consistency, but my Sigma 85 Art and Canon 135 Art doing just fine in that regard.
I am sorry to say, but your personal experience with Sigma brand products is a little bit outdated.

I try not to do a judgement or offer an advise with something I have no sound experience with. It is not quite practical long term to operate that way. It pays to stay relevant

It's good to hear that Sigma may have resolved the AF problems. I wait to hear more positive reports, to better understand the copy to copy variation.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
It's fantastic, especially for 799

how good is the optical stabilization? The one I tested was fine optically but he OS wasn't good at lower speeds, as noted also by Cameralabs - I don't mean "acceptable" sharp but tack sharp for severe cropping (many testers just look for how many images look OK).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
canon1dxman said:
I recently sold my Sigma 150-600C to a friend. He loved it but found it too heavy so bought this Sigma 100-400. His verdict? Absolutely loves it. I'm not swapping my 100-400 II for one but it seems to be amazingly good value.

Next step for me will be the Tamron 70-200 G2.

I swapped my Canon for the Siggy and pocketed much money and have nearly identical images.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
canon1dxman said:
I recently sold my Sigma 150-600C to a friend. He loved it but found it too heavy so bought this Sigma 100-400. His verdict? Absolutely loves it. I'm not swapping my 100-400 II for one but it seems to be amazingly good value.

Next step for me will be the Tamron 70-200 G2.

I swapped my Canon for the Siggy and pocketed much money and have nearly identical images.

No doubt it is good optically. Same question as I asked above. How good is the OS at low shutter speeds? Also, how good is the AF for moving subjects?

Upvote 0