Sigma 50 1.4 or Canon 85 1.8 OR 100 2.0 for 5d mark ii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
estercaires said:
Unfortunately i can only buy ONE because i sold everything i had to afford the 5d!

I`m stuck between a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and a Canon 85mm 1.8.
If you have already narrowed down your options between Sigma 50 or Canon 85, I'd say Canon EF 85 f/1.8
Why? 5D MK II (although a great camera) is not really known for it AF system, so pairing it with a third party (Sigma) lens, as your only lens, could end up being a bad decision due to potential front focus/back focus issues ... hence having a Canon lens paired with a Canon camera makes better sense especially when it is your only lens. Don't get me wrong, I personally have used many third party lenses (mostly Sigma ... in fact there was a point in time when I had more Sigma lenses than any other maker's) and I still have 2 third party lenses (Sigma 150-500 OS & Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC) but I found & continue to see that the equivalent Canon lens work better with a Canon Camera than any third party lens I used or have. But if 50mm is what you'd like to have (which is a better focal length as the first lens than 85mm) go for Canon 50 f/1.4
BTW just yesterday, I ordered Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 from B&H (got a really good deal) ... expected to arrive this coming Thursday.

Upvote 0

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
As a reply to the original question:

I own the Sigma and the Canon. I bought the 85mm 1.8 based on internet reviews. "The digital picture" catched me with a remark that the best thing on the 85mm L is it's ability to remind you how good the non L already is. I droped the idea of the 100mm lens as the 1.8 sounded more important to me than the 20mm more and just for the sake of a metal ring instead a plastic ring to screw the filter in I did not want to change my mind.

I bought the Sigma 50mm instead of the Canon because I liked the Bokeh of the Sigma more and someone on E-bay sold it almost new cheaper than any used Canon.

I'm selling the 85mm canon right now while it is still one of my most loved lenses, however I never use it anymore because the Sigma 50mm and the Canon 135mm L eat up enaugh real estate in my camera bag and my idea of a need to cover the middle seemes suddenly not practical.

Really be warned, if the reach, the quality and the bokeh of the 85mm is attractive, then sooner or later the lure of the 135 will be overwhelming.

That said there is something which made the 85mm interesting: It's size and shape (without the lens hood) makes it the perfect companion when using a holster pouches for DSLR with mid sized zooms.

For example your 5DII with a 28-200 or 28-300 lens in such a holster means a lot of reach but nothing fast at hand. The 85mm fits usualy perfectly into the sidepouches of such holsters and so you have the 1.8 available when light conditions are bad.

I do not share the complaints other people have about the focus of the Sigma 50mm. I love that lens just wish it would resemble more the feeling of the Sigma 30mm 1.4 However if you should buy it, it is a heavy, huge monster in relation to just being 50mm. If I know in advance that I have the need for the 50mm I usualy keep the 5d at home and take the 60d with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 as it is a much more convinient solution. Often when carying the Sigma 50mm arround I wish to either return to my old crappy Canon 50mm 1.8 The lens hood comes with the Sigma for free and is an absolute must to control flare and IQ. As the reversed Hood covers way to much of the lens to be handeled in a convinient way you will end up carying the lens with the hood proper mounted. The result is a short prime being as bulky as the the Tamron 28-70 VC.

Upvote 0
I love the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, but the chromatic aberrations not so much. The optional lens hood does cuts down the frencency of how often it occurs. If your buying the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens for mostly outdoor use I would recommend against it. My outdoor prime is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. It has great image stabilization which is a big plus on a portrait lens. Great Bokeh with IQ and sharpness that is truly excellent.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.