Sigma: Hopefully One More Mount in 2022

I know Canon Rumors is a pro-Canon website so what I'm saying may be unpopular, but since the introduction of the R system, I just cannot get excited about what Canon is offering, as optically fantastic as lenses such as the RF 85L may be. I haven't bought into the R system and I have no plan to do so. The existence of third party lenses for the R system would help Canon sell me a camera (and no doubt some lenses, flashes, etc, over time). The question is, how many people feel like I do, and how much (if at all!) does that hurt Canon's profit? I can only assume Canon is pretty confident the answer is not enough people to worry about.
Genuine question: what would excite you that they haven't released?

Upvote 0
I agree with you. Canon won't license any competitor... but I still believe that even if Sigma has to reverse engineer the protocol (or parts of it) with tremendous cost, there still is a lot of money to be earned for them, especially AT THE MOMENT because Canons line-up lacks a few significant holes. You stated, F1.4 non-L line-up is not existent, I agree.

For example:
RF 50mm F1.8 STM --> 229 €
RF 50mm F1.2 L --> 2.500 €

RF 16mm F2.8mm --> 339 €
RF 14-35mm F4 --> 1.819 €
RF 15-35mm F2.8 --> 2.599 €

There is a huge gap and Sigma would be more than welcome.

Imho, I think people who are demanding for Canon opening their protocols do believe Canon will never fill these gaps. If Canon weren't to fill these gaps, opening the protocol would actually make a lot of sense. It is my personal believe Canon will address these gaps within the next years and therefore isn't opening the protocol because they'd hurt future sales.
It would be very nice though to get a RF 50mm F1.4 non-L priced like the RF 35mm F1.8 or something similiar to show people these lenses are coming. Of course, in my case a reasonable priced UWA zoom would be welcome.
With regard to a mid-range 50mm ~f/1.4, people on here have been requesting an updated version for years (obviously EF until recently). There must be some reason Canon hasn't seen this as a priority. So I wouldn't be surprised if an RF version never comes.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Genuine question: what would excite you that they haven't released?
For a start, lenses comparable to the Sony 35mm f/1.8, Sony 35mm f/1.4 GM, Sony 55mm f/1.8, Sony 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 65mm f/2, Sigma 85mm f/1,4 DN, Samyang 35mm f/1.8, Samyang 45mm f/1.8, Samyang 75mm f/1.8, Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8. And I could add Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 DN and Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 simply because of their prices compared with the comparable Canon lenses. I'm not saying I would buy all of those lenses, but they are all lenses I would seriously consider. And no, I don't see the RF 35mm f/1.8, RF 50mm f/1.8, or RF 85mm f/2 as being reasonably comparable to the lenses in my list above, although the RF 35mm f/1.8 perhaps isn't too far away. I'm just not that impressed with the images those Canon lenses produce. I'm not saying they are bad, of course, but I think the competition is better (albeit at higher prices at least in some cases).

Upvote 0
For a start, lenses comparable to the Sony 35mm f/1.8, Sony 35mm f/1.4 GM, Sony 55mm f/1.8, Sony 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 65mm f/2, Sigma 85mm f/1,4 DN, Samyang 35mm f/1.8, Samyang 45mm f/1.8, Samyang 75mm f/1.8, Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8. And I could add Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 DN and Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 simply because of their prices compared with the comparable Canon lenses. I'm not saying I would buy all of those lenses, but they are all lenses I would seriously consider. And no, I don't see the RF 35mm f/1.8, RF 50mm f/1.8, or RF 85mm f/2 as being reasonably comparable to the lenses in my list above, although the RF 35mm f/1.8 perhaps isn't too far away. I'm just not that impressed with the images those Canon lenses produce. I'm not saying they are bad, of course, but I think the competition is better (albeit at higher prices at least in some cases).
Thanks! How come so many covering such a narrow range of focal lengths? I guess I'm out of the loop with regard to that sort of thing (portraiture? Street photography?). I'm sure some will appear in the next few years, in the meantime is adapting EF glass a possibility?

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks! How come so many covering such a narrow range of focal lengths? I guess I'm out of the loop with regard to that sort of thing (portraiture? Street photography?). I'm sure some will appear in the next few years, in the meantime is adapting EF glass a possibility?
Sorry scyrene, I may have misled you. I wouldn't think of actually owning that many lenses covering similar focal lengths. I think they are all options worth serious consideration but in the end I would select only a few of them to be part of my kit.

Adapting EF glass is certainly possible, but the attraction to me of the lenses I mentioned is that they are relatively small and light for their class, and in many cases much more reasonably priced than Canon's offerings. Adapting EF glass doesn't give me the same benefit of relatively small and light lenses, and isn't particuarly cheap either (I checked the price of an EF 35mm f/2 IS lens recently and they are selling for about A$1000 or more now, which seems out of control to me). The allure of mirrorless to me is the AF and the potential for my kit to be a little smaller and lighter while still delivering very good image quality, but would come at the cost of having to use an EVF (I know some people like them but I strongly prefer OVF), shorter battery life (although that is a small point in the scheme of things these days), and if I stayed with Canon what to me seem relatively high prices for much of the R system gear. At the moment, at least in terms of what I am looking for, the Sony system is delivering on the promise of relatively small, light and affordable lenses in a way which Canon's system is not, which puts a dampener on my enthusiasm for the RF system. Hopefully things will change in the next few years, as you say. (I may or may not still be shooting Canon by then, but even if I was not, I think it would be a good thing.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
Sigma Art RF and Tamron SP RF will come I'm sure, we just need to be patient.
Hopefully they willl fill some focal length gaps and address filter usage and non bulbous elements in UWA (Laowa 15 Zero D but with AF style)
Pancakes are always welcome as well!
I seriously fear that Sony, as the largest Tamron shareholder, would have something against it...

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

I know Canon Rumors is a pro-Canon website so what I'm saying may be unpopular, but since the introduction of the R system, I just cannot get excited about what Canon is offering, as optically fantastic as lenses such as the RF 85L may be. I haven't bought into the R system and I have no plan to do so. The existence of third party lenses for the R system would help Canon sell me a camera (and no doubt some lenses, flashes, etc, over time). The question is, how many people feel like I do, and how much (if at all!) does that hurt Canon's profit? I can only assume Canon is pretty confident the answer is not enough people to worry about.
The existence of third party lenses is totally irrelavent for me when it comes to the R system. If I want less expensive, but high quality lenses for my R6, I will (and have) bought used EF lenses. I am not opposed to the idea of buying third party and I bought the Sigma 100-400 for EF in the past (in fact, bought two copies over the years) and they were both quite soft at 400mm, so were sold.

Upvote 0
Two comments/questions. First, I don't understand some of their DG DN lens focal length choices, especially the 65mm and 24mm macro, and the order in which they are being introduced. Can somebody make sense of it?

Second, are they really going to try to reverse engineer the Fuji X, Nikon Z and Canon R lens mounts or have they convinced the manufacturers to tell them the protocols?
Buying the protocols at an extremely high price will very likely be required, I don't even think Canon will even sell their mount protocol to Sigma and Tamron anymore. Yongnuo had just gotten sued by Canon for their RF mount lenses. I think what happened is Canon doesn't want to open their mount to 3rd party developers since the RF glasses are pretty profitable (high price vs low design costs, because of the mount). RED is probably the only one that has an official relationship with Canon, very likely Canon traded their mount with RED for the internal RAW recording.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Buying the protocols at an extremely high price will very likely be required, I don't even think Canon will even sell their mount protocol to Sigma and Tamron anymore. Yongnuo had just gotten sued by Canon for their RF mount lenses. I think what happened is Canon doesn't want to open their mount to 3rd party developers since the RF glasses are pretty profitable (high price vs low design costs, because of the mount). RED is probably the only one that has an official relationship with Canon, very likely Canon traded their mount with RED for the internal RAW recording.
I haven't read any media reports about Canon suing Yongnuo, and it sounds fairly unlikely to me. If Canon has sued, in which court? What exactly is Canon alleging? I would be interested to know more.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I seriously fear that Sony, as the largest Tamron shareholder, would have something against it...
It would be in Sony's best interests if Tamron sold *more* lenses.

Canon sell more cameras than any other brand, so Tamron would make much greater profits (and hence so would Sony) if they produced RF mount lenses.

Canon are in the business to make money, they want us to buy *their* lenses, so it would make poor business sense for them to open the RF mount to third parties. So Tamron, Sigma etc will have to reverse-engineer.

They could of course simply port existing mirrorless lens designs onto RF by using only the EF pins, but if they are to do the job properly and ensure full compatibility with new RF bodies, they'd need to use the extra 2 RF pins, which entails analysing current and potential future data flowing to and from the body and lens circuitry.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
What is even more funny about that is that Canon acquired Yongnuo back in 2015.
Most folks believe it was an April Fools prank.

Only FStoppers made noise of it and it went semi viral.

Please share any relevant info you have on an actual statement or financials from either entity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has to be the RF mount. What else would they focus on getting to the market. I for one will warmly welcome more competition and choices. And with mirrorless at least the largest downside of third-party lenses - lack of AF-accuracy - is gone.
From fujirumors.com "So, it’s out: according to information we have received, Sigma will announce its first autofocus X mount lenses on February 21."
Looks like Fuji-X is the new mount
Maybe Next year.

Upvote 0
Have to admit, the lack of affordable lens options that match those available for Sony’s Mirrorless range is one of the reasons I am really mulling over selling and switching over. As an example, the Sony 200-600 has no real contemporary in the Canon RF line up, and the Sigma Sports 150-600 EF lens is seriously outclassed by the new DG DN version.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and nobody could have predicted the chip shortage and COVID supply chain woes, and how it might affect development and release pipelines. However, if I could turn back time to last year before I picked up an R5 and C70 for work I would definitely put them down and step over into the Sony isle. Or, at least, better manage my own expectations.

I really don’t give a crap about brand loyalty - they’re all in it to make a profit - I just want the best tool for the job. I have no time for fan boys or brand apologists. The products offered by companies like Sigma and Tamron actually have a big hand in plugging the gaps and elevating a single brand to a position where it’s hybrid line up is a viable candidate. Right now, only Sony seems to occupy that position.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0