Sigma to Announce New Lens Ahead of the PDN PhotoPlus Expo Which Begins on October 26, 2017

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<em>The breakthrough year for Sigma Global Vision Art, Contemporary and Sport lenses on display; brand new lens addition to be unveiled; Sigma Pros light up stage with new presentations </em></p>
<p><strong>Ronkonkoma, NY – October 4, 2017 </strong>– Sigma Corporation of America, a leading still photo and cinema lens, camera, flash and accessory manufacturer, will showcase its full line up of Sigma Global Vision lenses, including a brand-new addition to the line, at the upcoming PDN PhotoPlus Expo 2017 Expo held at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City from October 26-28, 2017 (booth 837). The company will also have on hand its breakthrough optics for the cinema market – the Sigma Cine high-speed Primes and Zooms – as well as the Foveon sensor-based sd Quattro and Quattro H cameras. “Sigma has had a landmark year with the introduction of seven new lenses across our Global Vision and Cine product lines,” states Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “Our research and development team is dedicated to creating superior optics that meet the ever-growing requirements of today’s high resolution cameras, taking advantage of every possible design and element to capture the greatest picture detail for both still and moving images. We look forward to showcasing the culmination of what has been a remarkable year in optical advancements for Sigma at this year’s PPE event.” Sigma 2017 introductions include the award-winning 14mm F1.4 DG HSM Art, 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Art, 135mm F1.8 DG HSM Art, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Sigma Global Vision lenses and the new Sigma Cine FF High Speed 14mm T2 and 135mm T2 prime lenses.</p>

<p><!--more--> <strong>Sigma Special PPE Presentation – Sigma Pro Phenom Jen Rozenbaum</strong>

Sigma Pro Jen Rozenbaum will take the PPE stage on Wednesday, October 25, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM to deliver a PPE Master Class on “How to make every woman look amazing.” Jen will share with attendees her vast experience in boudoir photography, providing top tips and secret tricks – from wardrobe to posing – that flatter all women. Jen’s presentation will help attendees understand how to best dress and pose any woman of any size and shape as well as gain confidence behind the camera whether they are shooting boudoir, wedding or seniors!</p>
<p><strong>Master Photographers Take the Sigma Stage</strong>

Showcasing the very best in photography craft, the expanded Sigma Pro family will headline the Sigma stage and offer attendees a behind the lens look at the techniques and technology that captured some of the year’s most outstanding photographs in the areas of aviation, editorial, glamour, landscapes, travel and weddings.</p>
<p>This year’s prestigious Sigma Pro PPE stage line-up includes outdoor sports and adventure travel photographer Liam Doran, aviation photo expert Jim Koepnick, renowned bird and travel photographer Roman Kurywczak, fearless woman photographer Jen Rozenbaum, and glamour and wedding photographer Jim Schmelzer.</p>
<p>For the Sigma Pro presentation schedule days and times, please visit: <a href="https://blog.sigmaphoto.com/event/photoplus-2017/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener">https://blog.sigmaphoto.com/event/photoplus-2017/</a> ?</p>
<p><strong>Sigma Super Giveaways at PPE 2017</strong>

PPE 2017 attendees who visit Sigma at booth 837 will have a chance to enter and win a Sigma grand giveaway – a 24-70mm F2.8 Art – an MSRP value of $1299.00 USD!</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
ahsanford said:
How about a razor sharp set of f/5.6 primes that have a large enough working DOF that you'll never know that the AF has randomly whiffed? :p

- A

Most modern lenses can be f/5.6 or even f/8 ;) I remember f/8 lenses with no autofocus at all, in fact, no focus at all.

Imagine a focus free lens.

Attachments

• hawkeye.jpg
    hawkeye.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,615
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I remember f/8 lenses with no autofocus at all, in fact, no focus at all.

Imagine a focus free lens.

F/8 and be there, as they used to say.

Most disposable cameras are still fixed-focus, as were many early smartphone cameras (the latter, of course, relying on the tiny absolute aperture size). The first iPhone to get autofocus was the 3GS, for example.

Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:
They announce a new lens with no hint as to what it will be? Given their penchant for originality, it is hard to say what they are coming up with. My dream lens would be an affordable 500 f5.6 with same build quality and sharpness as a 500 f4, but at half the price and weight.

Half the price and AF equal to the 135 Art, and I'll buy one.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
chrysoberyl said:

I really want to make a DXO-like scoring site for AF hit rate. Something comprehensive with a battery of standardized tests of lenses on all bodies from the last 5 years.

We collectively believe the Art Prime AF situation to be:

20 = too wide to care, AF is pretty reliable
24 = AF is pretty reliable
35 = a hot, hot mess; non-dock-correctible spontaneous misses happen
50 = a hot, hot mess; non-dock-correctible spontaneous misses happen
85 = new more powerful AF setup, apparently much more consistent than the 35/50
135 = new more powerful AF setup, apparently much more consistent than the 35/50

...but I'd love to put a hit rate test and results database together. It would be stellar to see how a 135 Art does on my 5D3, for instance. It would also be nice to quantify just how bad/inconsistent the 35 Art is when shot wider than f/2.8 (hypothesis = not so good).

I don't have the time or budget to do this, mind you -- but it would be sweet if someone did. :D

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
ahsanford said:
chrysoberyl said:

I really want to make a DXO-like scoring site for AF hit rate. Something comprehensive with a battery of standardized tests of lenses on all bodies from the last 5 years.

135 = new more powerful AF setup, apparently much more consistent than the 35/50

...but I'd love to put a hit rate test and results database together. It would be stellar to see how a 135 Art does on my 5D3, for instance. It would also be nice to quantify just how bad/inconsistent the 35 Art is when shot wider than f/2.8 (hypothesis = not so good).

I don't have the time or budget to do this, mind you -- but it would be sweet if someone did. :D

- A

+1.27

No reliable AF = no deal. That's essentially the same as Zeiss making MF lenses (at least while we're waiting for the miracle mirrorless).

FoCal can theoretically provide you such numbers. The 85 art consistency is quite good.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
chrysoberyl said:

- A
I've had such a long running issues with Sigma's unreliable AF, I switched from the brand years ago and now for me it's Canon L's all the way.
Having said that...the Canon mkI ef 35mm f1.4L AF was pretty reliable until you are in very low light. The it was dispotic and next to useless. I could get a lock on my 24-70L in light levels my 35L could only dream of. The ef 50mm f1.2 L wasn't much better. Both copies I had were consistently unreliable AF in anything other than bright light...which is bizarre considering it's intended usage.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2016
Mistral75 said:
Admin is giving us a hint with the picture illustrating the article: it's the 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports

That was my first thought as well. I remember an article from 2016 stating they were going to replace the current 70-200 'in the next comming years'. If they announce now, then I assume the lens will be available somewhere 2Q18 or 3Q18. I expect it will be near as good as the Canon counterpart for 65-70% of the price (say €1.400 - €1.500).

I love my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, but the rear zoomring is bothering me. The fact that the tripod support is just at that zoom ring makes it harder to zoom while keeping the lens stable. All my other lenses have a front zoomring. You can simply put the tripod support on the base of your hand and zoom with easy. If the zoom ring for a new Sigma 70-200 Sport is in the front and image quality is (near) as good as the Canon, I might just sell it and get the Sigma instead. I already have several of the Sigma Global Vision line lenses and the USB dock, so if IQ is good, this one would fit in perfectly.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Andries said:
Mistral75 said:
Admin is giving us a hint with the picture illustrating the article: it's the 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports

That was my first thought as well. I remember an article from 2016 stating they were going to replace the current 70-200 'in the next comming years'. If they announce now, then I assume the lens will be available somewhere 2Q18 or 3Q18. I expect it will be near as good as the Canon counterpart for 65-70% of the price (say €1.400 - €1.500).

I love my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, but the rear zoomring is bothering me. The fact that the tripod support is just at that zoom ring makes it harder to zoom while keeping the lens stable. All my other lenses have a front zoomring. You can simply put the tripod support on the base of your hand and zoom with easy. If the zoom ring for a new Sigma 70-200 Sport is in the front and image quality is (near) as good as the Canon, I might just sell it and get the Sigma instead. I already have several of the Sigma Global Vision line lenses and the USB dock, so if IQ is good, this one would fit in perfectly.

What if the AF accuracy is also 65-70% of Canon's? ;)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If you own few Sigma Global lens and USB dock, then you would be aware that a Sigma zoom requires calibration at 16 points. If you use FoCal for a proper AFMA calibration, then it takes 32 FoCal runs in total at very minimum to to get initial reading at every calibration point a, disconnect lens from camera at least 16 times, set AFMA value in lens via USB dock, rerun FoCal to confirm the adjustment value was adequate.
Be prepared for at least 3 hours of ultimate fun and 1200-1500 shots taken while you at it.
Better even, you would have to repeat this process in about 6-12 months as AFMA values would drift in lens a bit with time.
It takes faster to calibrate 4 Sigma primes than a single zoom.
Sigma service centre won’t calibrate your lens at 16 points. They calibrate at 4 points and at x60 the focal length instead.
Regarding Canon 70-200 zoom ring located over tripod mount:
If you use the lens on tripod, it is not s problem. For handholding situationsIt takes 30 seconds to remove the collar.
It makes the lens much more comfortable to use. Turning tripod ring by around 120 degree is another option.

Andries said:
If the zoom ring for a new Sigma 70-200 Sport is in the front and image quality is (near) as good as the Canon, I might just sell it and get the Sigma instead. I already have several of the Sigma Global Vision line lenses and the USB dock, so if IQ is good, this one would fit in perfectly.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Jopa,

Good thinking. It may hit the rock bottom ( FoCal was unable to identify AFMA settings for your lens, return AFMA value set in lens to 0 and start again) on your next camera. Compatibility is not guaranteed. The statement that Sigma will provide a fix via firmware is false. There are ongoing issues with Art lenses that cannot be fixed.

Apart from AF accuracy, for Sigma Global lenses , all in camera image corrections must be switched off. If your requirement is a rapid OOC images delivery and you shoot jpegs then it may be an issue.

All in all, the notion of owning a sharp but unsupported by Canon lens, leads to unpredictable outcomes.
Personally, I had enough. I run and gun with Canon trinity of latest and greatest lenses and that puts a smile on my face each time I am zooming in on an image for critical focus evaluation.

Jopa said:
What if the AF accuracy is also 65-70% of Canon's? ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
SecureGSM said:
If you own few Sigma Global lens and USB dock, then you would be aware that a Sigma zoom requires calibration at 16 points. If you use FoCal for a proper AFMA calibration, then it takes 32 FoCal runs in total at very minimum to to get initial reading at every calibration point a, disconnect lens from camera at least 16 times, set AFMA value in lens via USB dock, rerun FoCal to confirm the adjustment value was adequate.
Be prepared for at least 3 hours of ultimate fun and 1200-1500 shots taken while you at it.

Sure, yet all that effort does nothing for AF consistency, the real terror with Sigma glass. I went through great pains to use the USB dock during a 35 Art rental on my 5D3, got everything dialed in, but when shooting wider than f/2.8, the AF simply 'whiffed' inconsistently -- a complete miss either front or back -- at an alarmingly high rate.

TL/DR: A dock is great for your run of the mill back- or front-focusing, but it's useless when the AF randomly and completely lays an egg.

- A

Upvote 0