Sigma to Announce New Lens Ahead of the PDN PhotoPlus Expo Which Begins on October 26, 2017

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
WilliamJ said:
I'm hoping for a 50-85 f2 to compliment their 24-35 f2 for the ultimate wedding combo - faster than typical f2.8 zooms but more flexible than a 2-prime combo like 35mm and 85mm.

I find the 24-35 f/2 intriguing, but was hoping they'd go all Triple Lindy and put out a whopper 24-50 f/2.

24-35 f/2 seems like a very limited FL range, until you think about the classic 135 f/2L vs. 70-200 f/2.8L IS II comparison that's often made here -- the whole 'Is covering that entire zoom range worth one stop?' argument. Except in this case, the faster 'prime' actually covers two staple FLs. Full marks to Sigma for making a lens that Canon would never try.

I love the 28, 35 FOV and one of those two FLs would be my choice if you made me choose one FL for the rest of my days.

- A

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It is true that Sigma 24-35 F2.0 is more flexible than 2 prime combo. Unfortunately, what Sigma marketing department calls 2 primes in a single lens is a hype. The lens is a very limited range zoom lens with optical qualities lesser than of a good Canon prime.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=992&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=2&API=0&LensComp=994&CameraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

not as sharp across the frame, strong vignetting wide open ( see the link above), iffy AF, objectionable bokeh qualities, strong CA, weak flair resistance.
the other issue is that F2.0 is not bright enough for the dance floor most of time anyway. there is a reason why slightly used Canon 35 F1.4 II L lenses are almost impossible to come across. They are so good that owners hold on to them forever.
On the other hand, there are truck load of Sigma 24-35 Art lenses listed on local classifieds at A$750 and going for about A$650.00 with price negotiation.

WilliamJ said:
...24-35 f2 for the ultimate wedding combo - faster than typical f2.8 zooms but more flexible than a 2-prime combo like 35mm and 85mm.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
If you own few Sigma Global lens and USB dock, then you would be aware that a Sigma zoom requires calibration at 16 points. If you use FoCal for a proper AFMA calibration, then it takes 32 FoCal runs in total at very minimum to to get initial reading at every calibration point a, disconnect lens from camera at least 16 times, set AFMA value in lens via USB dock, rerun FoCal to confirm the adjustment value was adequate.
Be prepared for at least 3 hours of ultimate fun and 1200-1500 shots taken while you at it.
Better even, you would have to repeat this process in about 6-12 months as AFMA values would drift in lens a bit with time.
It takes faster to calibrate 4 Sigma primes than a single zoom.
Sigma service centre won’t calibrate your lens at 16 points. They calibrate at 4 points and at x60 the focal length instead.
Regarding Canon 70-200 zoom ring located over tripod mount:
If you use the lens on tripod, it is not s problem. For handholding situationsIt takes 30 seconds to remove the collar.
It makes the lens much more comfortable to use. Turning tripod ring by around 120 degree is another option.

Andries said:
If the zoom ring for a new Sigma 70-200 Sport is in the front and image quality is (near) as good as the Canon, I might just sell it and get the Sigma instead. I already have several of the Sigma Global Vision line lenses and the USB dock, so if IQ is good, this one would fit in perfectly.

WOW. I would definitely gave up. But imagine - all your pain would be gone in no time if Canon releases a mirrorless (EF mount of course). It will become a golden age for Sigma and Tamron.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
SecureGSM said:
Apart from AF accuracy, for Sigma Global lenses , all in camera image corrections must be switched off. If your requirement is a rapid OOC images delivery and you shoot jpegs then it may be an issue.

All in all, the notion of owning a sharp but unsupported by Canon lens, leads to unpredictable outcomes.
Personally, I had enough. I run and gun with Canon trinity of latest and greatest lenses and that puts a smile on my face each time I am zooming in on an image for critical focus evaluation.

I certainly take the points, but I have to say the way I see it, until Canon finds a way to make their in camera image corrections work properly with Sigma lenses I am just never going to turn on those functions so for me they are worthless as a selling point for Canon cameras. (Yes, I understand that Sigma uses a lens code which makes the camera think a Canon lens is attached, so in that sense it's not Canon's "fault".)

Obviously Canon can simply take the view they shouldn't have to worry about third party lens users - after all they make a very large range of lenses and they would rather you bought one of them than a third party lens - but at this point, for me the Sigma Art lenses are (in many cases) so good and such good value (and some fo the newer Tamrons are similar) that if they worked substantially better on another brand, such as Nikon, that is something which would make me seriously consider a move away from Canon.

Clearly there are people who have had problems with AF on their Sigma lenses - and I certainly understand why that would put you off the lenses. For my own part though, I am pretty happy with the AF on my 35 Art, 50 Art and 85 EX on my 6D, and I am not too worried about in camera JPGs, so I will persist with the Sigma lenses on a Canon body. Regarding AF, I haven't kept numbers but my feeling is the AF performance for my gear is pretty similar to what I got with my old Canon 35 f/2 IS. I have not owned any of the Canon L primes so I cannot compare any of those.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
yep, Sigma Art AF consistency on 6D is nearly spot on. I moved on to 5D III and subsequently to 5D IV and that's when the fan began ;)
If you intended to keep shooting with your 6D forever, then you may be just found the sweet spot.
short term vs mid to long term approach.
I am going to shoot with 5D IV for next 4 years at least and not looking to upgrade my Canon L-trinity of lenses. they are that good. Canon 16-35 F2.8 iii L is crazy sharp at 35 mm. it is so sharp it is ridiculous.
I decided to sell Sigma Art lenses while I can and am doing this with a very minor discounting if at all. Mid to long term I am better of with Canon lenses.

jd7 said:
.... I am pretty happy with the AF on my 35 Art, 50 Art and 85 EX on my 6D, and I am not too worried about in camera JPGs, so I will persist with the Sigma lenses on a Canon body.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
SecureGSM said:
yep, Sigma Art AF consistency on 6D is nearly spot on. I moved on to 5D III and subsequently to 5D IV and that's when the fan began ;)
If you intended to keep shooting with your 6D forever, then you may be just found the sweet spot.
short term vs mid to long term approach.
I am going to shoot with 5D IV for next 4 years at least and not looking to upgrade my Canon L-trinity of lenses. they are that good. Canon 16-35 F2.8 iii L is crazy sharp at 35 mm. it is so sharp it is ridiculous.
I decided to sell Sigma Art lenses while I can and am doing this with a very minor discounting if at all. Mid to long term I am better of with Canon lenses.

jd7 said:
.... I am pretty happy with the AF on my 35 Art, 50 Art and 85 EX on my 6D, and I am not too worried about in camera JPGs, so I will persist with the Sigma lenses on a Canon body.

I don't see myself springing for a 5D IV in the foreseeable future (as good a camera as I am sure it is), but I can see myself breaking down and getting a 6D II one of these days. Will have to see if that makes any difference to my experience with the Sigma lenses.

Just reading around the net it does seem like 6D owners are often happier with their Sigma lenses than 5D series or 1D series owners. Wonder if there is any truth in that or if maybe I notice more when someone talks about the same model camera I have?!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
it is absolutely true. I have calibrated a substantial number of Sigma Art lenses over last 3 years and I can confirm that Sigma Art AF is much more consistent on 6D bodies than on 5D or 1D series.

jd7 said:
Just reading around the net it does seem like 6D owners are often happier with their Sigma lenses than 5D series or 1D series owners. Wonder if there is any truth in that or if maybe I notice more when someone talks about the same model camera I have?!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
this will kill value in first generation of Art lenses the moment it happens. speaking of which:
there are couple of virtually new Sigma 150-600 Sport lenses that are listed on local classifieds at A$1200 negotiable. Owners are struggling to move the glass for about a month now. I should be able to pick one of them up for about A$1000 but have no use for it, really.

YuengLinger said:
Imagine if Sigma simply refreshed their lenses so they were compatible with Canon AF. ::)

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Wow...so much animosity for Sigma's AF...

Just to offer the counterpoint, I own or have owned several of Sigma's Art or Sport lenses and have had a fantastic experience. I own primarily Canon lenses (16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 II, 100L, 70-300L and 70-200 II, etc), so I have a representation to compare them too. What I can say is that my experience the 50A AF is better than the 50 f/1.4 (previously owned) and the 150-600S AF is better than the 100-400 M1 (previously owned).

I am not trying to take away anything from those that have tried multiple copies and had bad experiences. It always sucks to hear. But obviously there are those that are having success with Sigma lenses otherwise, they'd be out of business.

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
Wow...so much animosity for Sigma's AF...

Just to offer the counterpoint, I own or have owned several of Sigma's Art or Sport lenses and have had a fantastic experience. I own primarily Canon lenses (16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 II, 100L, 70-300L and 70-200 II, etc), so I have a representation to compare them too. What I can say is that my experience the 50A AF is better than the 50 f/1.4 (previously owned) and the 150-600S AF is better than the 100-400 M1 (previously owned).

I am not trying to take away anything from those that have tried multiple copies and had bad experiences. It always sucks to hear. But obviously there are those that are having success with Sigma lenses otherwise, they'd be out of business.

I've got to agree with you, the 35A was a bit wonkey but the 50A was rock solid on my 5D3 and 1DX. That said, the AF was straight up unusable on my 1Ds3.

Upvote 0
I’ll ‘third’ the last two posters; I own more than a half dozen Sigma GV lenses and had no AF issues on my 1 series body (I’ve owned a handful of canon L lenses as well). The only Sigma lens I’ve had trouble with is the 180mm macro. Sometimes, I have to manually dial in the focus to get it to wake back up.

Looking forward to what Siggy has coming!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If your body is 1Dx then you won’t run into major AF issues with sigma Art lenses. 1DxII owners would beg to differ though. 5D III is only slightly affected but not as bad as 5DIV bodies.

Sigma Sports: Both 120-300 Sport and 150-600 Sport are consistently focusing lenses on any Canon or Nikon body.

foto fuhrer said:
I’ll ‘third’ the last two posters; I own more than a half dozen Sigma GV lenses and had no AF issues on my 1 series body (I’ve owned a handful of canon L lenses as well). The only Sigma lens I’ve had trouble with is the 180mm macro. Sometimes, I have to manually dial in the focus to get it to wake back up.

Looking forward to what Siggy has coming!

Upvote 0