Sigma to Announce New Lens Ahead of the PDN PhotoPlus Expo Which Begins on October 26, 2017

Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
If your body is 1Dx then you won’t run into major AF issues with sigma Art lenses. 1DxII owners would beg to differ though. 5D III is only slightly affected but not as bad as 5DIV bodies.

My 85A is consistent on the 1dx2. Same AFMA number as the 5DsR. Focus shift is the only problem :) But it's just one lens, it won't make much statistics.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Hi Jopa,

Sigma 85A is a consistently focusing lens on any body. 135A is different somehow. don't ask me why. hence your experience with 85A on 5DsR is accurate. I was referring to other Art lenses like 35A, 50A.... etc.

can I ask you: Are you sure about the focus shift on 85A? As I can report none, verified on at least 6 copies.
there are some strong CA wide open to F4, but no focus shift.

.. Focus shift is the only problem..

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:
If your body is 1Dx then you won’t run into major AF issues with sigma Art lenses. 1DxII owners would beg to differ though. 5D III is only slightly affected but not as bad as 5DIV bodies.

My 85A is consistent on the 1dx2. Same AFMA number as the 5DsR. Focus shift is the only problem :) But it's just one lens, it won't make much statistics.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
Hi Jopa,

Sigma 85A is a consistently focusing lens on any body. 135A is different somehow. don't ask me why. hence your experience with 85A on 5DsR is accurate. I was referring to other Art lenses like 35A, 50A.... etc.

can I ask you: Are you sure about the focus shift on 85A? As I can report none, verified on at least 6 copies.
there are some strong CA wide open to F4, but no focus shift.

.. Focus shift is the only problem..

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

Alex, it could be the off-center AF points to blame as well. Tried the lens actually yesterday - the center point is pretty reliable, but those closer to the thirds are missing more often. Shot wide open so can't complain about focus shift :)

Upvote 0

Hflm

Gear: 5div, A7riii, A9 ...
Jan 10, 2017
SecureGSM said:
yep, Sigma Art AF consistency on 6D is nearly spot on. I moved on to 5D III and subsequently to 5D IV and that's when the fan began ;)
If you intended to keep shooting with your 6D forever, then you may be just found the sweet spot.
short term vs mid to long term approach.
I am going to shoot with 5D IV for next 4 years at least and not looking to upgrade my Canon L-trinity of lenses. they are that good. Canon 16-35 F2.8 iii L is crazy sharp at 35 mm. it is so sharp it is ridiculous.
I decided to sell Sigma Art lenses while I can and am doing this with a very minor discounting if at all. Mid to long term I am better of with Canon lenses.

jd7 said:
.... I am pretty happy with the AF on my 35 Art, 50 Art and 85 EX on my 6D, and I am not too worried about in camera JPGs, so I will persist with the Sigma lenses on a Canon body.
I use 85/1.4Art, 50/1.4Art and 24/1.4Art on two 5div bodies. 85 and 50 perform excellently, the 24 has more problems, especially for midrange objects. With DPAF, of course, I can work around that.

Upvote 0