Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14195"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14195">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>A new wide angle

</strong>We’re told that Sigma almost has a 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens ready.  An announcement could come this year or early next year. The build quality and performance will rival that of the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898831-REG/Sigma_340_101_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM</a> we’re told. The lens will be a little more expensive, but Sigma hopes to keep it under $1000 USD.</p>
<p>We were also told that Sigma is planning something “big” for Photokina 2014 a year from now. It was hinted that it could be new super telephoto lenses.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Sigma and Tamron continue to roll out high quality lenses at prices well below Canon's. At some point this is going to force Canon to reduce prices.

I only own Canon lenses now, but am certainly open to 3rd party if the quality is similar and there is enough of a discount to offset the slight risk of future (Canon engineered) incompatibility.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I like what you're doing Sigma, I really do! It is of no interest to me with the shorter primes anymore, but as mentioned here, a 50mm Art would be. And perhaps supertele next year, hope they don't skimp on the AF for those.

What will Sigma deliver lenses too when Canon and Nikon have filed for Chapter 11 due to the very poor lens sales ;D

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Dylan777 said:
Will there be 200-400mm f2.8 ART for $4000? ::) ::) ::)

That would be too large and heavy. How about a 200-500 f/2.8-4, where the aperture is constant (maximum of 2.8 ) between 200mm and 350mm, then allowed to increase gradually to f/4 as FL increases to 500mm? Even that would be larger than the 200-400s from Nikon and Canon. (I've been suggesting a lens like that to Sigma for about 3 years.)

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
We were also told that Sigma is planning something “big” for Photokina 2014 a year from now. It was hinted that it could be new super telephoto lenses.

Top level super-selephoto-lenses will definitely be a step up for sigma. But I think it will be a lot more difficult to sell >4000$/€ lenses were AF-performance is even more challenging and customers have higher expectations compared to <1k lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2011
Bob Howland said:
Dylan777 said:
Will there be 200-400mm f2.8 ART for $4000? ::) ::) ::)

That would be too large and heavy. How about a 200-500 f/2.8-4, where the aperture is constant (maximum of 2.8 ) between 200mm and 350mm, then allowed to increase gradually to f/4 as FL increases to 500mm? Even that would be larger than the 200-400s from Nikon and Canon. (I've been suggesting a lens like that to Sigma for about 3 years.)

How about a 500mm f/5.6 OS HSM 'S'? Handholdable for <=5K?

Upvote 0
wsmith96 said:
Viggo said:
What will Sigma deliver lenses too when Canon and Nikon have filed for Chapter 11 due to the very poor lens sales ;D

their own camera line... :)

That's just what I was going to speculate. Maybe they've improved their foeven stacked photosite technology and are going to bring out a new camera with it. Maybe that's why they've been creating these significantly higher quality lenses and lens-mount change program in preparation for a new camera of their own.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
wsmith96 said:
Viggo said:

their own camera line... :)

That's just what I was going to speculate. Maybe they've improved their foeven stacked photosite technology and are going to bring out a new camera with it. Maybe that's why they've been creating these significantly higher quality lenses and lens-mount change program in preparation for a new camera of their own.

Camera-wise I think Sigma has a lot more catching up to do than with their lenses. I would say a vastly improved Sigma camera is not on the horizon (it's not just about sensor technology, you know).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.