Sigma to Introduce a 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Shortly? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Does anyone know about the sales numbers of 24/50/85/135 primes, i.e. why would Sigma add a 24mm next and not rival mediocre-sharp Canon's 50L with a 50mm update of their own or release contenders to the rather expensive 85L/135L?

My guess is because 24mm @ 1.4 has the largest vacancy in the market place. Right now it's just the Canon if you want autofocus, and the Rokinon didn't get good reviews at all compared to their 35mm.

50mm - They're probably working on it, but until they get it right are content with their current 50mm. Like i said, the 50mm prime market has a lot more competitors than the 24mm. It's definitely "ripe for the taking" given the optical performance of the current primes, but it's gonna be a harder sell to non-professionals (the majority of the market) who are content with the current Canon 1.4.

85mm - Their current 85mm 1.4 is already pretty darn good, and its the only auto-focus 85 1.4 on the market. Updating it probably won't bring in that big of revenue jump, so it's further back on the to-do list.

135mm - The canon is already pretty cheap, so I'm sure they're waiting to perfect OS or a > f/2 design to ensure it can compete with the ~$800 name-brand Canon.

The market is just more open for fast 24mm prime.

Upvote 0
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Marsu42 said:
Does anyone know about the sales numbers of 24/50/85/135 primes, i.e. why would Sigma add a 24mm next and not rival mediocre-sharp Canon's 50L with a 50mm update of their own or release contenders to the rather expensive 85L/135L?

My guess is because 24mm @ 1.4 has the largest vacancy in the market place. Right now it's just the Canon if you want autofocus, and the Rokinon didn't get good reviews at all compared to their 35mm.

50mm - They're probably working on it, but until they get it right are content with their current 50mm. Like i said, the 50mm prime market has a lot more competitors than the 24mm. It's definitely "ripe for the taking" given the optical performance of the current primes, but it's gonna be a harder sell to non-professionals (the majority of the market) who are content with the current Canon 1.4.

85mm - Their current 85mm 1.4 is already pretty darn good, and its the only auto-focus 85 1.4 on the market. Updating it probably won't bring in that big of revenue jump, so it's further back on the to-do list.

135mm - The canon is already pretty cheap, so I'm sure they're waiting to perfect OS or a > f/2 design to ensure it can compete with the ~$800 name-brand Canon.

The market is just more open for fast 24mm prime.

+1

Sigma needs to build up its reputation before it goes head-to-head with the entire Canon lineup. But it seems like they've got some fresh talent in both their engineering and business departments. A 24mm prime might not be the most popular length for the average photographer, but it's a favorite amongst pros. Plus, a 24mm is quite versatile on cropped sensors. And for video, it's a great length, especially with the proliferation of all these tiny sensors.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Chuck Alaimo said:
Drizzt321 said:
wsmith96 said:
Viggo said:
What will Sigma deliver lenses too when Canon and Nikon have filed for Chapter 11 due to the very poor lens sales ;D

their own camera line... :)

That's just what I was going to speculate. Maybe they've improved their foeven stacked photosite technology and are going to bring out a new camera with it. Maybe that's why they've been creating these significantly higher quality lenses and lens-mount change program in preparation for a new camera of their own.

I'm gonna take the flip side of this --- if sigma puts all their effort into lenses, they keep their focus (pun) on glass and that leads to better glass at a lower cost. I am happy with this idea, keep making kick ass new glass that makes me say I may want one (i have been considering a 24mm prime, and have been tempted by the 35, but a 35 while awesome just isn't what i am looking for (prime trilogy- 24 - 50 - 85). This won't drive either canon or nikon out of the lens game, but ----hopefully it will make them flinch on pricing, or, step up their game to make the extra cost more enticing.

+1 I really would have preferred to pick up a 24 or a 50 rather than a 35, as all of my primes are Canon vanillas (with the exception of my 100L). But since the 35 is so awesome, I absolutely have no regrets. The 24 would be a great addition, but I will hold out for an 85 or a 135. Since all the Sigma rumors are CR1, who knows what's next?

Upvote 0
While I love the idea of a 24mm, I wish they would put out an updated 50/85mm art series lens first. I absolutely love my Sigma 35mm, a lens I was predisposed to hate (I don't like owning non-canon lenses, mainly due loss of value), but I was so blown away by the 35mm I would jump on a new 50mm the instant it was available. The currnent Canon lineup at 50mm is abysmal at best, so I am sure a Sigma 50mm would be every bit as popular as the 35mm. While I would like to buy an art series 85mm, I'm happy enough with my Canon 85mm 1.8 that I would not likely upgrade to it.

Upvote 0
roadrunner said:
While I love the idea of a 24mm, I wish they would put out an updated 50/85mm art series lens first. I absolutely love my Sigma 35mm, a lens I was predisposed to hate (I don't like owning non-canon lenses, mainly due loss of value), but I was so blown away by the 35mm I would jump on a new 50mm the instant it was available. The currnent Canon lineup at 50mm is abysmal at best, so I am sure a Sigma 50mm would be every bit as popular as the 35mm. While I would like to buy an art series 85mm, I'm happy enough with my Canon 85mm 1.8 that I would not likely upgrade to it.

The 85 1.8 is a good value, but it's delicate. Mine took I minor hit and wouldn't auto-focus again. I'm hoping someone comes out with an 85 f/1.4 IS .

Upvote 0
mustafa said:
roadrunner said:
The current Canon lineup at 50mm is abysmal at best..........

Isn't this a bit of an exaggeration? To what purpose?

If you look at Amazon lens sales, Canon 50mm lenses are at #1, #5, and #38. The Sigma 50mm is at #65. I'm not saying sales is everything. But clearly the market doesn't agree. And I'm not saying Canon's 50mm lenses couldn't benefit from improvements (they each have shortcomings). Canon's 50mm f/1.4 might be delicate, but it's gotta be one of the best deals ever.And, not only is it sharp as hell, but it's IQ and bokeh have serious character.

Upvote 0
mustafa said:
roadrunner said:

You're right, it was a bit of an exaggeration. I apologize for that. I try to stay away from responses like that =)

More realistically, I should have said decent at best. I don't feel that would be an exaggeration. I'm a wedding/couples portrait photographer, so my needs don't cover everyone's needs. The Canon's 50mm F1.2L's weather sealing, while nice, isn't really completely necessary for me.

Here's my run down of Canon's current lineup, and why I refuse to make another 50mm purchase until they refresh it, or until Sigma comes out with their new 50mm.
Canon 50mm F1.2L - Great build quality, but the optics aren't up to current standards. Note, I did not say the optics suck, but they could clearly be better. This is a recurring theme across all their 50mm lenses right now though. Also, the price is far to high for me to even consider over their much more reasonably priced 50mm 1.4.

Canon 50mm F1.4 - The best value out of the line up, I would say, but it is still softer than I would like for making a purchase in 2013. Also, the autofocus is in need of an update. All-in-all, a decent lens.

Canon 50mm F1.8 - A great lens for the price, but at $99, just about anything would be a good deal. It is just as sharp as it's more expensive siblings, has abysmal build quality, loud and slow-ish autofocus, and not the best looking bokeh. I own two of these.

So yes, it isn't abysmal. But I would say it is in need of a refresh, and very soon. I'll make due with cheap, toy-like build quality of the 50mm f1.8, but I will definitely buy a new 50mm if and when Canon chooses to release one. I would much rather buy from Canon than Sigma for a few reasons, the 35mm is the only Sigma I own, but if Sigma were to release a new 50mm on par with the 35mm, and they priced it $400-$500 cheaper than the 50mm L, I would definitely purchase it.

Hopefully that clears up my post a bit with less exaggeration.

dirtcastle said:
mustafa said:
roadrunner said:

If you look at Amazon lens sales, Canon 50mm lenses are at #1, #5, and #38. The Sigma 50mm is at #65. I'm not saying sales is everything. But clearly the market doesn't agree. And I'm not saying Canon's 50mm lenses couldn't benefit from improvements (they each have shortcomings). Canon's 50mm f/1.4 might be delicate, but it's gotta be one of the best deals ever.And, not only is it sharp as hell, but it's IQ and bokeh have serious character.

Like I said to Mustafa, I did exaggerate a bit, but I don't think the top-selling lenses on Amazon is really indicative of quality.

For example, I even mentioned I own 2 50mm 1.8's myself. While a great value, it's poor build quality, focus, and bokeh quality aren't awesome. Sure, it's awesome for $99, but I'm looking from a professional perspective here.

Same goes for the 1.4. I think that is the best value out of Canon's lineup, but like you said, I feel it's build quality, auto focus, and corner sharpness could be improved quite a bit.

Canon's 1.2 is soft in the corners and extremely expensive. If you need this lens, you need it. But for me, I don't need weather sealing. It is nice, but not necessary, and I just don't feel like that justifies the cost over the 1.4.

As for Sigma's 50mm being #65? Good. I've used that lens, and I liked it better than all of Canon's... when it worked. Consistency was shoddy at best, they definitely have some quality control issues there. Basically, I'm not happy with the 50mm landscape across the board, which is why either Sigma releasing a 50mm Art on par with the 35mm Art, or Canon releasing a new 1.4 would make me very happy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.