SIGMA will announce two new Contemporary prime lenses soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Q4 announcement spree from manufacturers looks to be ramping up, as SIGMA will announce two new Contemporary prime lenses soon.
SIGMA will announce the following lenses

24mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary
90mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary

Both of these lenses are for full-frame mirrorless applications, which likely means they’re for Sony’s E-Mount and SIGMA, Leica, and Panasonic’s L-Mount.
I do not expect these two lenses to be SIGMA’s first foray into the RF mount, which I do wish was happening.

Continue reading...

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Really hoping RF mount gets support from Sigma and Tamron. Will be interesting to see if they can keep with firmware updates.
Edit: curious to find out the max mag ratio of 24mm lens. 24mm lens with .5x mag ratio was a good wide angle macro for herpers.
Yes, given the current limited range of RF lenses, and the cost of the more exotic ones, it would be great if Sigma and Tamron could reverse engineer and produce affordable RF lenses that matched OEM AF performance (acquisition speed and tracking rapidly accelerating/decelerating subjects - I don't think there would be an issue regarding tracking *across* the frame, as this is independent of focusing speed).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As opposed to, say, the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM or the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM?

Those are a mouthful but at least every part of those lens names maps to the spec (except for the III which is essentially a version number). The name describes the lens, albeit at length. What does "Contemporary" actually mean in relation to a lens?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Those are a mouthful but at least every part of those lens names maps to the spec (except for the III which is essentially a version number). The name describes the lens, albeit at length. What does "Contemporary" actually mean in relation to a lens?
They sort their lenses into houses. Like Gryffindor and Slytherin. Contemporary = Hufflepuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
There're legal issues not technical/reverse enginiering ones says the Hungarian Sigma Co.
Definitely. Canon will have everything patented, and will try hard to protect lucrative sales of their RF exotica, so anyone treading on their toes could find themselves in trouble. I can't see Canon releasing the RF protocols, at least not until they have filled out their range of RF glass. There's little benefit to Canon if they make the mount available to all comers. Some of the Chinese brands might be willing to take the gamble, as it's in their culture to "copy and improve", but Tamron and Sigma are selling lenses in other mounts as fast as they can produce them, so I think they'll be in no great hurry to produce RF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Definitely. Canon will have everything patented, and will try hard to protect lucrative sales of their RF exotica, so anyone treading on their toes could find themselves in trouble. I can't see Canon releasing the RF protocols, at least not until they have filled out their range of RF glass. There's little benefit to Canon if they make the mount available to all comers. Some of the Chinese brands might be willing to take the gamble, as it's in their culture to "copy and improve", but Tamron and Sigma are selling lenses in other mounts as fast as they can produce them, so I think they'll be in no great hurry to produce RF.

Sigma and Tamron are producing Sony e-mount lenses. I imagine there must be some agreement with Sony, or else they've reverse-engineered without legal repercussions. These third-party manufacturers are not (yet) producing lenses for Canon. And that's too bad. I think more people would jump to Canon or else upgrade from EF to R if a good selection of third-party lenses were available.. I think Canon is at a competitive disadvantage to Sony in this regard.
Food for thought: Imagine if Microsoft only allowed their own software to run on Windows...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The situation makes me uneasy. As I've said in other threads, I own the Samyang RF 14/2.8 and RF 85/1.4. They're great lenses, but users have reported autofocus problems on newer R bodies (especially the R5 and R6). Is Canon messing with the firmware in order to prevent the lenses from working well? Do the lenses require firmware updates from Samyang in order to keep pace with Canon's bodies? I don't know, but I'm not excited to find out :(

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As opposed to, say, the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM or the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM?
Canon names make sense except the broadcast servos. I don't know what a DG or a DN is. Also "Contemporary" sounds like some Engrish that sounds cool to Japanese people. What's next the Sigma 24-70 DN DG OS II HSM Super Champion Edition.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Sigma and Tamron are producing Sony e-mount lenses. I imagine there must be some agreement with Sony, or else they've reverse-engineered without legal repercussions. These third-party manufacturers are not (yet) producing lenses for Canon. And that's too bad. I think more people would jump to Canon or else upgrade from EF to R if a good selection of third-party lenses were available.. I think Canon is at a competitive disadvantage to Sony in this regard.
Food for thought: Imagine if Microsoft only allowed their own software to run on Windows...
I feel that Sigma would have the headstart with fast primes over Canon. They would proably have their own 16, 20, 35, 50, 85, 135 1.4 or 1.2s out already or coming very soon. When canon comes out ( at a higher price), many people might be like , "Nah i got one already" or " i will get the sigma version it is cheaper"

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon names make sense except the broadcast servos. I don't know what a DG or a DN is. Also "Contemporary" sounds like some Engrish that sounds cool to Japanese people. What's next the Sigma 24-70 DN DG OS II HSM Super Champion Edition.
What does RF stand for? Nomenclature makes sense to those who know it, or care to look it up. LMAO but YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I feel that Sigma would have the headstart with fast primes over Canon. They would proably have their own 16, 20, 35, 50, 85, 135 1.4 or 1.2s out already or coming very soon. When canon comes out ( at a higher price), many people might be like , "Nah i got one already" or " will get the sigma version it is cheaper"

DG= lens for full frame cameras
DN= lens for mirrorless cameras
Why DN and DG what do they stand for.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Why DN and DG what do they stand for.
DN = digital native (ie designed for mirrorless)

I'm not sure about DG. Sigma has DC lenses, which I think stands for digital (or maybe DSLR?) compact, which are for APS-C sensor cameras. Regarding DG, the G definitely indicates full frame, and I think the G may have even been similar to Canon's L at one time, so DG refers to the G series for full frame in the DSLR/digital age.

Particularly now sigma uses art, sport and contemporary, I think sigma could probably consider reducing the number of teens they use :)

EDIT: Actually, I think maybe I'm wrong about DG. I think possibly Sigma used to have a G series and a DG series, which were both for full-frame cameras, and the DG series was the higher end series (with D standing for deluxe?). The DC series was equivalent to DG but for ASP-C sensor cameras. Basically, I'm just not sure!

Last edited:
Upvote 0