Smallrig has launched new accessories for the Canon EOS R3, EOS R5, and EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Smallrig has launched some new accessories for the Canon EOS R3, Canon EOS R5, and Canon EOS R6. All of these new items are available now for preorder.

SmallRig L-Bracket for Canon EOS R3 3628 $59

Arca-compatible side plate and base plate enable quick switch between horizontal and vertical orientation shooting.
Secured via a 1/4 screw and an anti-twist screw at the bottom.
Replace the battery without removing the L-Bracket.
Extendable side plate leaves room for cables.
Built-in...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2010
Unfortunately, there's no good L-plate for the R5 that would allow fully operating flip screen.
That seems to be the price you pay with an articulating screen. It's true for the R, and for the R3. That's the reason I prefer the modular design, and I only attach the upright portion when I'm bringing a tripod.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Unfortunately, there's no good L-plate for the R5 that would allow fully operating flip screen.
Unfortunately, there's no good way to mount the R5 onto a tripod in the portrait orientation that would allow fully operating flip screen.

Given that limitation, Kirk L-plates are reasonably good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
there's no good way to mount the R5 onto a tripod in the portrait orientation that would allow fully operating flip screen.
No, there is one: I use a Novoflex L-plate ( none designed for the R5) with the vertical plate put to the right side of the camera. You can't hold the camera without problems and have to remove it for handheld shooting.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Unfortunately, there's no good way to mount the R5 onto a tripod in the portrait orientation that would allow fully operating flip screen.

How about a tripod with ball head tilted 90 degrees using just a base plate, like before we had L-plates? Seems to work find on all of my bodies. This also gives you the opportunity to reverse the flip screen above the camera (shutter down) for selfies. ;)

With slightly longer bolts on my SmallRig for the R6, I could invert the L-plate to point down instead of up. I'm not sure this would benefit me any more than rotating my ball head 90 degrees.

SmallRig also sells a cage for video folks that appears to not impede the tilt screen by much and allows your to bolt an Arca plate to the right, left or top of the rig. There are lots of other things you can mount if needed. A little pricey and I don't do that much video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m using a Promedia Gear L bracket on my R5 and it allows for full screen articulation. It’s modular, too.
Yes, that one is almost there, but its vertical part is absolutely huge. It has a cold shoe up high. They're targeting videographers perhaps.

There was another Japanese one, don't remember the name, very lightweight, but for some unspeakable reason they twisted the rails in the vertical part by 90 degrees. So if you change orientation, you still have to rotate the camera or it will point sideways.

Of course I have my own requirements on what is a 'good' L-bracket but what I really want is just an ability to quickly change from landscape to portrait without additional bells and whistles, wrenches and screws that I don't want to deal with in the field.

Upvote 0
How about a tripod with ball head tilted 90 degrees using just a base plate, like before we had L-plates? Seems to work find on all of my bodies. This also gives you the opportunity to reverse the flip screen above the camera (shutter down) for selfies. ;)
That's what I ended up with. Unfortunately, the notches in the ballheads have limited freedom and if the left part of the tripod is a bit too high, you're unable to level the camera as it wouldn't tilt anti-clockwise. So you have to adjust the legs too. Also this way the whole assembly becomes unbalanced with the camera shifting the centre of mass to the left.
But the existing L-plates on the market have serious downsides too.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...you're unable to level the camera as it wouldn't tilt anti-clockwise. So you have to adjust the legs too.
That's the reason I like the leveling base on top of my RRS Series-3 legs. Although I mainly added it because otherwise it's a major PITA to level a gimbal head, it helps with a ballhead, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

The L-plates like that have a notch where you insert the screen, so it heavily limits the viewing angle which eliminates all advantages of the flip screen. Also there's a constant threat to damage the screen, and the part of the screen that under the threat is obstructed by the hanging rail.
The flip screen articulability (is it a world?) is much more important to me than an ability to quickly switch to portrait.

Upvote 0
That's the reason I like the leveling base on top of my RRS Series-3 legs. Although I mainly added it because otherwise it's a major PITA to level a gimbal head, it helps with a ballhead, too.
That's an interesting idea, thanks, will look into that.

Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
I'm going to wait for Really Right Stuff to come out with their solution. I made the mistake of buying an off brand from my camera store and it tended to flex whilst I was depressing the shutter button. That was for my R5, so I purchased the RRS L bracket and no problem with flexing. I'll wait for their release.

Upvote 0