Solo Twenty-Four

rowbo

5D mark iii
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Thanks for the kind words rpt!

It was a long shoot, that's for sure. I managed to get a few hours sleep after I was happy with the amount of night footage I got, then I was up again for sunrise.

As for prep work, I shot the bike-cam footage the weekend before as I didn't want to disturb Brett's riding during the race. Then I "cheated" those shots into the edit. That stuff I captured with a sony action cam in case anyone is wondering. This preliminary shoot gave me a chance to scout for some good locations for timelapses. On the weekend of the race I packed as light as possible, only taking about 3 lenses, a slider and tripod, plus batteries of course, lots of batteries!

I have shot a similar race before, but only as an experimental time-lapse film. This is the definitely most epic thing I've ever tried undertaking myself.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
Marvelous, absolutely marvelous.

I have a special love for single speed bicycles, so this vid appealed to my personal interests.

I liked the running commentary from Brett, very well done the way you switched back and forth between his workshop and the track while keeping the voice track continuous.
The gnat shot set Summer, I wanted to reach into the screen and spray those little buggers.
The kangaroo screamed Australia.
Until this video, I've been thinking that time lapses are played out, you changed my mind entirely with a fresh and creative application of time lapse. Well done.

I thought one or two things were missing that you might have done with the Sony (or two Sonys) the week before.
The bike cam shots from the back of the bike were just fine, no fault there. What seemed missing were bike cam shots from the handlebar, helmet cam shots. No bike cam shots at night.
I'm imagining simultaneous handlebar and helmet footage, displayed split screen. Repeat at night.
Such clips would need to be brief, I'd expect some viewer disorientation from the two views as the bike is often on a different heading than the rider's view, the rider looking where the bike will be going, the handlebar cam showing where the bike is currently going.
---
In the opening scenes, we get to hear an obnoxiously loud freewheel clacking, sounds like a Chris King hub. Never mind that it's loud, I'm sure there are other reasons to choose that exact component besides its sound, I'm sure Brett knows exactly why he chose it. You captured that sound well
The topic here is sounds, some that are missing. Specifically the cool and gratifying clack of SPD shoe plate engaging and locking into SPD pedal. I'm imagining a brief sequence of close ups five or so different riders, each clicking in, click, click, click, clack, click, the last shown riding off. Maybe for next time.
---
Overall, an excellent and entertaining presentation, captured a lot of the effort and fatigue the competitors experience, clearly demonstrates forethought, planning, creativity, effort and technical excellence on your part.
I'm in awe and envious, video projects are beyond my imagination.

Upvote 0

rowbo

5D mark iii
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Tolusina,

Thank you for your lengthy comments about the video and for the compliments. It really helps to get honest feedback and you mentioned some really nice ideas that I will keep in mind for next time. I like your idea of the sequence of clipping in shoes. I don't know why I didn't think of that on the day, it seems so obvious! Something I always try to keep in mind while filming is COLOUR and MOVEMENT. Looks for interesting closeups that have contrasting colours. This can be as simple as (in the case of filming the biker's shoes) choosing one colour over another simply for the fact it contrasts the background. Then finally, SOUND. If what you've shot makes an interesting sound, capture it again if necessary to get better levels. Sound ups are a great way to pace your editing.

You surprised me by saying at the end that video projects are beyond your imagination. It seems to me that you have quite a good imagination!

Oh and the freewheel clacking was merely my way of getting the viewers attention early. In real life it is nowhere near that loud. :)

Upvote 0