Some help needed - 1dx mkII or 5dMkIV

Dec 8, 2014
CanonFanBoy said:
AlanF said:
You lay out more than 5000$/£/€ on a camera and then worry about the cost of a spare battery or card?

If I could afford a 1DX Mark II, I think I would be happy to let it sit in the closet while I picked up the accessories over the next few months.

Heck, it comes with 2 batteries (doesn't it?) and I have a CF Card from my 5D mark III.

I don't understand the vexing either. ???

It comes with only one Battery.

Well, regarding to the previous post, i think sometimes people need to be sarcastic or just they do have the need of joking. In more serious ways, another ones like to ridicularize (or try at least) other ones. I guess in this case it was just a joke try.

But of course, when someone have the possibility of having a 6000$ camera that doesn´t mean that it splashes all the money he have in the camera! Of course when you make your budget is considering to retain some money to eat! :) More seriously, when i mentioned the spare battery and card is because it´s something you DO need to take in consideration before buying! A spare battery (non third party) from canon to the 5D series is about 60€. A spare one to the 1Dx series is 150€! SD and FC cards are way more cheap than CFAST cards! So you dooo need to take into consideration the extra cost! I didn´t said i don´t have the money, i said you need to consider it! Unless....money is not a problem!

Well, despite that, i am in love with 1DX mkII :D :D And yes....guess what? I did manage to buy 2 CFAST cards, i use my old CF cards and i have a spare battery!!! YYaayy!! :D

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Jack Douglas said:
If you're talking wildlife for sure the lens comes before the camera. The 6D and 300 2.8 II with extenders served me VERY well.

Jack

Hello Jack! How are you doing with the new camera? Hope everything is fine, i am loving mine. For sure, glass is absolutly important!! I worked with a lot of lenses and the 500mm F4 is stunning! I loved the 1st serie and loving also this second version! Good lenses makes a lot of difference in photography!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Go Wild said:
Jack Douglas said:
If you're talking wildlife for sure the lens comes before the camera. The 6D and 300 2.8 II with extenders served me VERY well.

Jack

Hello Jack! How are you doing with the new camera? Hope everything is fine, i am loving mine. For sure, glass is absolutly important!! I worked with a lot of lenses and the 500mm F4 is stunning! I loved the 1st serie and loving also this second version! Good lenses makes a lot of difference in photography!

Well, I wish I had been able to do more shooting but it's been so cloudy over many days and of course days are short now up here in Alberta. However, I love the camera/lens combo. I would not have been nearly as happy with just the camera purchase even though initially I had no idea I'd spring for the DO. I'm truly loving the 800 reach with the 1DX II AF! :)

Jack

Upvote 0
To the guy saying 6000$ camera spares don't matter.

800mbps video of the MKII = 100mbs per second = 6GB per minute. 128GB Card (350$) holds 20 minutes.

For a normal standard of 5 hours worth of media for documentary/nature shooting,

3 cards give you an Hour at 950$.

5 hours and batteries needed to run the camera for 5 hours equals = funnily, 6000$ish

The 4K on the MKII is only suitable for very high end applications where 12K for a video rig is pretty good. But for us, who want to shoot comfortably at the awesome 60p quality of the MKII, believe it or not, on a doc shoot we need accessories that cost as much as the camera body.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Josh Denver said:

800mbps video of the MKII = 100mbs per second = 6GB per minute. 128GB Card (350$) holds 20 minutes.

For a normal standard of 5 hours worth of media for documentary/nature shooting,

5 hours and batteries needed to run the camera for 5 hours equals = funnily, 6000$ish

The 4K on the MKII is only suitable for very high end applications where 12K for a video rig is pretty good. But for us, who want to shoot comfortably at the awesome 60p quality of the MKII, believe it or not, on a doc shoot we need accessories that cost as much as the camera body.

I say shoot the messenger, that's not what I want to hear! ;) However, I can't imagine myself shooting a documentary, rather I'm interested in sharing clips much like I share photos of nature and wildlife with friends. Never the less, there is still the issue of the card expense and needing two or three. I have bought a spare battery already. What other items would be high on your list?

I've now shot a few small videos but not enough to gain much knowledge or insight but one thing for sure is that shooting with the 400 DO II X2 III requires more steadiness than I would initially have assumed compared to still shooting, even with a gimbal. I'll probably be dropping back to 560 in most cases. A woodpecker shot at 120p was interesting to watch. So much to learn - ugh.

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Jack Douglas said:
Josh Denver said:

I say shoot the messenger, that's not what I want to hear! ;) However, I can't imagine myself shooting a documentary, rather I'm interested in sharing clips much like I share photos of nature and wildlife with friends. Never the less, there is still the issue of the card expense and needing two or three. I have bought a spare battery already. What other items would be high on your list?

I've now shot a few small videos but not enough to gain much knowledge or insight but one thing for sure is that shooting with the 400 DO II X2 III requires more steadiness than I would initially have assumed compared to still shooting, even with a gimbal. I'll probably be dropping back to 560 in most cases. A woodpecker shot at 120p was interesting to watch. So much to learn - ugh.

Jack

Hello Jack! I was not expecting to revival this post, but its a nice entrance from Josh Denver and your´s.

Well, let´s see...If you just want to shoot ocasional films, short time, you don´t really need nothing extraordinary...Just a fast card (Cfast for 4k) and it´s good to go. If you start to shoot a lot of video, you end up with the need of extra external drives for storage, but a regular 2TB external drive would give you enough room for photos and videos. So responding to your question, you don´t need anything else than good cfast cards.

A trully different thing is to shoot a, let´s say....50 minutes documentary. And other trully different thing is to shoot it in 4k 60FPS. I am finishing a documentary i shoot in the arctic. I did lot of footage in 4k but other footrage was in 1080. I got myself 4tb of footage for a 45 mt documentary. In those days, i got plenty of CF cards, microSD cards, SD cards and lots of batteries....But....well, the price of this acessories was not too high...A different thing is the prices of cards and batteries for the 1dx mkII....but good news are coming, because i am finding some cards really less expensive, brands like transcend are going to make prices drop! And the batteries are so expensive....For the MKII a battery is about 140€. For this price i could get about 7 LP-E6 batteries for example....(third party), or 3 Canon batteries....So yeah....acessories are trully important!!

I am preparing a new job, this time in Africa, i will leave in late January. I am starting to buy new material, and i need to take with me, at least 2 extra batteries, and 4 Cfast cards: (two 64 GB and two 128GB), i need 4 more 2 TB external drives. Two for storage, and other two to backup (or to use if the two others get full). And even with this number of cards, i need always to get laptop near me, and automatically pass all the footage when i got 1 minute free time just to prevent i get all the cards full.

So of course the price of acessories does matter, and it was my initial doubt....to buy 1DX mkII and change everything ( because i got 5D mkIII and 7D mkII), or to keep in 5d line and buy the 5d mkIV. Well, i don´ regret for 1 second, that i decided fro the 1dx, what a camera! And 4k60fps....is just fantastic!! ;)

Cheers

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Go Wild, thanks for that, it is reassuring and I'm slowly acquiring the various bits of information that is painting a complete picture.

The number of options with the 1DX II is initially confusing, actually overwhelming but I'm getting the AF sorted out and now there is the AF manual just in time. The camera is a pleasure especially with my 400 DO X2.

A funny little reference point for me is that I can adequately frame a small bird high in a tree, easily a distance that doesn't frighten too many.

If you find extra good prices on CFast let us know. I think by spring I'll purchase at least one 128 Transcend.

Jack

Upvote 0