Sony A9 Fails to Impress With Canon 300mm & 400mm Big White Lenses

Having used the α9 with a couple of adapted Canon long lenses myself (400mm f/5.6L, 500mm f/4L IS II), I can't say this matches up to my experience. It all worked perfectly for me, and better than my 7D, 7DmkII, and 1DX.
(Granted I do not have a 1DXmkII, and I'm not going to buy a 1DXmkII as long as the mkI is still fully working, nor am I going to rent one at the same time as an α9 just for internet cred.)

Maybe they used out of date firmware or maybe their lenses are a bit sketchy or something, I don't know. All I know is I gave it a similar trial and it all worked near-perfectly for me. The only problems I had were the balance in the hand/lack of vertical grip available to me, and the battery life draining that bit faster than anticipated. (Though still lasted longer than the α7 line or my Fuji mirrorless cameras.) But that's standard for mirrorless and is more subjective than anything; plenty of people would, I'm sure, appreciate a smaller body, and I'm just one of those weirdos who wants camera bodies to be always be as large as possible. (I grew up on large format and hand-holding 6x7 MF, so go figure.)

And I really don't understand why people have to make this such a pissing contest. They're just products, people; products made by large corporations. If one of them works the way you need, great. If it doesn't, well maybe the next version will, or maybe the whole product line just isn't for you. Maybe firmware will fix issues. You don't 'win' anything by a product you don't own not meeting your requirements, or failing to improve over something else you own.

Upvote 0