Sonykon = Sony is the head of Nikon?

Apr 23, 2018
Nikon themselves have clearly stated that their (DSLR) sensors are "designed by Nikon". They did not say, whom they contracted manufacturing out. But if a sensor has an "IMX" label ... then its clear it comes out of a Sony fab.

But it really does not matter. Over the last 10 years Canon has not been able to offer their customers "superior sensors" by not only designing but also "fabbing" them in-house. Rather the opposite.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Can someone tell me how DPAF and outsourcing can co-exist? Does that technology handcuff them (or possibly discourage them) form outsourcing the sensor?

I'm sure it's patented, but does Canon outsource any sensors with DPAF today?

FF = don't think any are outsourced
APS-C = don't think any are outsourced
1" = outsourced from Sony on some models, but do any have DPAF?

I found one powershot listed at B&H with DPAF, and it was the G1X mk III, which stepped up to a crop sensor.

- A

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Orangutan said:
The real question here is whether Sony sees itself primarily as a manufacturer of sensors, or of cameras. My guess is the former because of the huge market for their phone sensors, and much smaller for APS-C, 35mm, and MFD sensors. Sony is probably happy to have Nikon as a showcase for its more important business unit.

Based upon camera introductions, Sony would like to be in the camera game but has thus far not figured out how to do so. They are trying to be very different from canon and nikon and what they have created thus far is very useful (at least to me and a number of people I have talked to) for current Canon and Nikon shooters. They will need to find a way to differentiate themselves from Nikon and Canon while producing cameras that appeal mainstream shooters and are perhaps have a significant point of difference (without making the camera to hard to learn to use).

well that is my $0.02

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
ahsanford said:
fullstop said:
Over the last 10 years Canon has not been able to offer their customers "superior sensors" by not only designing but also "fabbing" them in-house. Rather the opposite.

I know. So many people abandoned Canon for doing th--

Oh. Wait.

- A

Impossible to tell but I bet that Nikon/Sony camera/sensor has hurt at least to some degree Canon's sales.

Upvote 0