ST-E2 Focus assist beam issues

I have an ST-E2 which works fine as a focus assist beam on my 70D
I recently purchased an old 1Dsiii. I cannot get the ST-E2 focus assist beam to work on this camera.

BOTH cameras are set to One Shot, (NOT servo), center AF point , evaluative metering.
BOTH have the assist beam enabled in the custom functions.

Any suggestions on what I am missing? Must be some incorrect setting on the 1Dsiii, I just can't figure
out which one---

Thanks!!

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sort of on the same subject concerning focus assist: I have an ST-E3-RT. I, and I think I've read others, have been disappointed that it does not provide focus assist. Fortunately, I found an inexpensive solution in Flashpoint's R2Pro c. At only $69 it will fire all my Canon speedlights and also allow remote (radio) control of my Flashpoint Streaklight. Works like a charm. I have been extremely impressed with Adorama's Flashpoint gear.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
CanonFanBoy said:
Sort of on the same subject concerning focus assist: I have an ST-E3-RT. I, and I think I've read others, have been disappointed that it does not provide focus assist. Fortunately, I found an inexpensive solution in Flashpoint's R2Pro c. At only $69 it will fire all my Canon speedlights and also allow remote (radio) control of my Flashpoint Streaklight. Works like a charm. I have been extremely impressed with Adorama's Flashpoint gear.

The newest version of the Yongnuo E3-RT has focus assist that works with all Canon bodies including 5D4/6D2/80D, and fires in both One-Shot and AI Focus.

I ended up with four of the Yongnuos, because my two old ones didn't work with new bodies ??? At least, they're cheap, lol. ;D On the downside, the new and old ones are impossible to distinguish.

I have no idea why Canon doesn't put it in theirs. It makes no sense.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Talys said:
CanonFanBoy said:

The newest version of the Yongnuo E3-RT has focus assist that works with all Canon bodies including 5D4/6D2/80D, and fires in both One-Shot and AI Focus.

I ended up with four of the Yongnuos, because my two old ones didn't work with new bodies ??? At least, they're cheap, lol. ;D

Because relatively new hobbyists like myself have no idea and will buy without. Then they can release an upgrade later. :) I won't. Very happy with the Flashpoint model. Works flawlessly with both my Canon speedlites and my Streaklight.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Talys.
I thought that you could user update the firmware on the YN-E3-RT, or are you saying it is not available as a firmware upgrade?

Cheers, Graham.

Talys said:
CanonFanBoy said:

I ended up with four of the Yongnuos, because my two old ones didn't work with new bodies ??? At least, they're cheap, lol. ;D On the downside, the new and old ones are impossible to distinguish.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Valvebounce said:
Hi Talys.
I thought that you could user update the firmware on the YN-E3-RT, or are you saying it is not available as a firmware upgrade?

Cheers, Graham.

They are all updated to the latest (1.24 I think) firmware. I was so excited when my friend's YN-E3-RT worked that I immediately flashed my E3-RT's, but to no avail :) When you look at the version info, the ones with the working AF illuminator and the ones without are the same.

The older ones do have AF illuminators that work on 70D, 60D, T6i, etc.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Talys.
I hadn’t realised that the AF illumination worked in AI Servo, I thought it would only fire in Single Shot AF I will have to give it a try!
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Cheers, Graham.

Talys said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Talys.

Cheers, Graham.

They are all updated to the latest (1.24 I think) firmware. I was so excited when my friend's YN-E3-RT worked that I immediately flashed my E3-RT's, but to no avail :) When you look at the version info, the ones with the working AF illuminator and the ones without are the same.

The older ones do have AF illuminators that work on 70D, 60D, T6i, etc.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Valvebounce said:
Hi Talys.
I hadn’t realised that the AF illumination worked in AI Servo, I thought it would only fire in Single Shot AF I will have to give it a try!

Cheers, Graham.

Sorry, not AI Servo :( AI Focus -- the one which is basically One Shot, then, switches to AI Servo when the subject moves... but doesn't really work well/reliably.

The Yongnuo fires the AF illuminator to acquire initial focus, but will not fire again subsequently if the subject moves. It's still a little better than one-shot and will work for slow-moving subjects; and of course, you can just tap the AF button to fire the assist beam again.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Talys.
Sorry, my mistake, I forget the cameras even have that half baked AI focus thing, saw AI and just automatically put Servo on the end, a case of reading what I wanted to see and not what was there!

Cheers, Graham.

Talys said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Talys.

Cheers, Graham.

Sorry, not AI Servo :( AI Focus -- the one which is basically One Shot, then, switches to AI Servo when the subject moves... but doesn't really work well/reliably.

The Yongnuo fires the AF illuminator to acquire initial focus, but will not fire again subsequently if the subject moves. It's still a little better than one-shot and will work for slow-moving subjects; and of course, you can just tap the AF button to fire the assist beam again.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Valvebounce said:
Hi Talys.
Sorry, my mistake, I forget the cameras even have that half baked AI focus thing, saw AI and just automatically put Servo on the end, a case of reading what I wanted to see and not what was there!

Cheers, Graham.

I know what you mean =X

It would be great if.. AI Focus would just work, lol.

Upvote 0