'Straight' Portrait of a Young Woman

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
kirillica said:
hm... looks over-exposed to me and skin texture is just gone

I think that's the idea; ancient technique to produce more flattering image of someone who's not perfect.

If someone is taking a picture of me I like it to be overexposed to the point of being just white ;)

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
kirillica said:
hm... looks over-exposed to me and skin texture is just gone

I think that's the idea; ancient technique to produce more flattering image of someone who's not perfect.

If someone is taking a picture of me I like it to be overexposed to the point of being just white ;)
Do you mean photographer wanted to say she is not good enough to be properly exposed? ;)

Upvote 0
I'm always curious about people's monitors- to me, it looks very dramatic and contrasty, but with just enough skin texture remaining that I wouldn't call it 'blown'. I could see how a slightly differently calibrated monitor in this situation would make it look blown or texture-less, but it looks great to me!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Some of the comments here remind me of the way a photographer I used to work with described some editors: "the only taste they have is in their mouth."

This is a very nice, evocative portrait. The lighting and treatment are excellent for the subject. You've given the portrait some drama but also made it subtle and appropriate for the subject. It's very Irving Penn-esque. Which is pretty good company to be in.

Ivan, more details please on lighting, backdrop, etc.

Upvote 0
It seems to only be overexposed by a little bit, obviously a flattering look for the skin. Most importantly, the details that show the shape of her head, hair, and indicate she has all of the basic features of a human face are all still there. I wouldn't cry over it, it's still a good image and I'm using both calibrated and uncalibrated screens to view it. As someone said previously the contrasts look via post processing does looks intentional.

Upvote 0