'Straight' Portrait of a Young Woman

bseitz234 said:
I'm always curious about people's monitors- to me, it looks very dramatic and contrasty, but with just enough skin texture remaining that I wouldn't call it 'blown'. I could see how a slightly differently calibrated monitor in this situation would make it look blown or texture-less, but it looks great to me!

+1 - on my hw calibrated eizo it looks perfect. very nice work.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
kirillica said:
7enderbender said:
kirillica said:
hm... looks over-exposed to me and skin texture is just gone

And why is that a bad thing? I like it.
I don't say it is bad. I would prefer nicely exposed picture in this case. And it's not like I say: only properly exposed picture is a good one.
::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
unfocused said:
Some of the comments here remind me of the way a photographer I used to work with described some editors: "the only taste they have is in their mouth."

This is a very nice, evocative portrait. The lighting and treatment are excellent for the subject. You've given the portrait some drama but also made it subtle and appropriate for the subject. It's very Irving Penn-esque. Which is pretty good company to be in.

Ivan, more details please on lighting, backdrop, etc.
+1

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
unfocused said:
Some of the comments here remind me of the way a photographer I used to work with described some editors: "the only taste they have is in their mouth."

This is a very nice, evocative portrait. The lighting and treatment are excellent for the subject. You've given the portrait some drama but also made it subtle and appropriate for the subject. It's very Irving Penn-esque. Which is pretty good company to be in.

+1

+2

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
Northstar said:
Rienzphotoz said:
unfocused said:

+1

+2

Check Ivan's link in the OP. You will see more photos that may be more to individual tastes, learn that he probably likes the model well enough (his daughter), learn that the PP was very intentional and learn about his setup and software used in PP. Ivan, thanks for showing what the little M can do in portrait work.

Upvote 0
dppaskewitz said:
Northstar said:
Rienzphotoz said:
unfocused said:

+1

+2

Check Ivan's link in the OP. You will see more photos that may be more to individual tastes, learn that he probably likes the model well enough (his daughter), learn that the PP was very intentional and learn about his setup and software used in PP. Ivan, thanks for showing what the little M can do in portrait work.

+1

Upvote 0
I like the exposure and pp as well.

Now, this is not a criticism but simply an observation about how I viewed the image. For some reason I find the white singlet/bra strap edge repeatedly catches the eye. Whether this is a good or bad thing is subjective I suppose. For me I would probably have covered it up, but this doesn't mean you should have.

Upvote 0
ykn123 said:
bseitz234 said:
I'm always curious about people's monitors- to me, it looks very dramatic and contrasty, but with just enough skin texture remaining that I wouldn't call it 'blown'. I could see how a slightly differently calibrated monitor in this situation would make it look blown or texture-less, but it looks great to me!

+1 - on my hw calibrated eizo it looks perfect. very nice work.

-1 - on my hw calibrated Eizo, it looks blown out a bit, plasticy. And that lighting ratio still is showing a harsh ratio on the left side of her nose

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
dave said:
For some reason I find the white singlet/bra strap edge repeatedly catches the eye. For me I would probably have covered it up, but this doesn't mean you should have.
I didn't notice it until you brought it up ... damn, now it is bugging me. ;D ... for the record I would've edited out the distraction ... but the image is awesome.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Rienzphotoz said:
dave said:
For some reason I find the white singlet/bra strap edge repeatedly catches the eye. For me I would probably have covered it up, but this doesn't mean you should have.
I didn't notice it until you brought it up ... damn, now it is bugging me. ;D ... for the record I would've edited out the distraction ... but the image is awesome.
Looks like you guys have found your punctum.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
;D ;D ;D
unfocused said:
Rienzphotoz said:
dave said:
Looks like you guys have found your punctum.
;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0