Suggestions for testing R6/R5 IBIS?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I tried. Without a delay, using Single Shot, I could not get a shot without blur at 1/8th of a second on a very good tripod and ball-head. I tried taking photos of a neighbor's Christmas lights at 1/8th of a second at 200mm . (I wanted 200mm to really see if there was any vibration happening with the timer.) Using one shot and pressing as lightly as I could, there was obvious motion blur. Five shots in a row with 2-second timer, all is fine.

I think you must have had great luck on the 80D. I'm not understanding the reluctance to just try a delay or a remote for 1/8th of a second?!? That would assure you the IBIS system, when turned off, is not malfunctioning, as you seem to worry is happening. Don't forget--I started this thread with testing IBIS, so I'm very open minded, but 1/8th of a second is pretty much, from my experience, mandatory delay or remote.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I tried. Without a delay, using Single Shot, I could not get a shot without blur at 1/8th of a second on a very good tripod and ball-head. I tried taking photos of a neighbor's Christmas lights at 1/8th of a second at 200mm . (I wanted 200mm to really see if there was any vibration happening with the timer.) Using one shot and pressing as lightly as I could, there was obvious motion blur. Five shots in a row with 2-second timer, all is fine.

I think you must have had great luck on the 80D. I'm not understanding the reluctance to just try a delay or a remote for 1/8th of a second?!? That would assure you the IBIS system, when turned off, is not malfunctioning, as you seem to worry is happening. Don't forget--I started this thread with testing IBIS, so I'm very open minded, but 1/8th of a second is pretty much, from my experience, mandatory delay or remote.

thanks and appreciate the tests and feedback. Wouldn't call it luck given I've done it with 40D, 7D, 80D and some with the R5... and various phones etc. I get its more sensitive with higher megapixel (this is a leap) but it was fully manual, and while not a countdown shutter, I did wait a few seconds each time I moved it to ensure things were before touching it and the gentlest of touches on the live view.. on a tripod, on solid ground, not windy, even with electronic shutter etc. Even checked to see if my strap was pulling etc. I also would get absolutely sharp images BEFORE the fuzzy ones without any movement...

I've also gotten sharp shots at lower speeds handheld on the R5! though with IS/IBIS. I wasn't particularly zoomed.. think maybe 30mm.. so really shouldn't get anything like that, but meh... but like any tool, need to learn what it can/can't do.. hence seeing if others experienced similar and not immediately whining at canon.

One thing I haven't done and I might is a full reset of the camera... sometimes when you do a firmware update it can help. Does anyone know if there is a hardcore reset vs the menu one?

took quite a few images so could work around the blurry ones.. this is what I was building :)
8U4A3957 Pano copy.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0