Sunrise in the morning in the first hour

Woodwideweb said:
Nice picture. Sometimes the early start is worth it.
Here's one from last month, Dorset, UK. Not 100% sure on the processing yet so any comments welcome.

I like it a lot. I like the resolved line to the bottom right corner. I like the placement of the sun (in this case, out of frame) and tree stump clump. I also like the fact that the trees in the area of interest don't break through the horizon. I like the mood and atmosphere too, although revisiting on a slightly more misty morning would lift is up a gear. In terms of processing, I would render the sky a wee bit brighter and adjust the WB for best creative effect. In this case an overcast WB or just reduce the magenta slider and boos the orange / yellow slider a tad. With this sort of shot, a high contrast tends to look best but naturally, be careful not too loose highlight or shadow detail, it's not a silhouette.

Upvote 0
Hi GMC
Thanks for the kind words and useful advice. I implemented the changes you suggested and agree, it does look better with a bit more contrast and stringer yellows. Hopefully I didn't go too far.
I had hoped for a bit more mist on the day, but think it turned out OK.
v2 attached.
Thanks once again
Chris

Attachments

• Colmer's Hill Sunrise_v2.jpg
    Colmer's Hill Sunrise_v2.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0
Woodwideweb said:
Hi GMC
Thanks for the kind words and useful advice. I implemented the changes you suggested and agree, it does look better with a bit more contrast and stringer yellows. Hopefully I didn't go too far.
I had hoped for a bit more mist on the day, but think it turned out OK.
v2 attached.
Thanks once again
Chris

Hi Chris,

I really like what you have done with this photo. It's gorgeous!

Also, I just realized that your earlier post about intense color was maybe about my photo. It is not common to have that intensity of color, but it sometimes does occur. I think that was a rare combination of diffuse low mist (volcanic fog from Kilauea volcano they call Vog) and sun angle. I rarely get up that early, so when I saw it, I had to run and get my camera. I also cropped and changed the exposure and saturation a bit to make it look more like what I actually saw.

Cheers,
Eric

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2015
Woodwideweb said:
kodakrome said:
Well, I'm always up early in the morning. But then I have to decide how big I want the sun to be. These three are at 100mm, 200mm, and 400mm with a 6D.
Beautiful photos. I imagine it's easier getting up early if this sort of view is waiting :)
I assume you're not based in the UK ;)

Thanks for the comments, Woodwideweb. No, I'm not in the UK. I live on the South Carolina shore. I have family living in Ireland, and they don't even know what the sun looks like. :)

Upvote 0